toyota camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Say what you will, but it will probably still hold up in ten years.

Our Camry is ten years old with 152k miles and there isn't a squeak or rattle. Except for the headliner, nothing has fallen apart.

And, although it's much better than the 90s- early 2000s, I think cheap still goes to GM (Chevy specifically).

Originally Posted By: Caliberguy
my gf's sister has a 2011 camry qnd I got to detail it yesterday. found it to be very cheaply made. poor workmanship and cheap plastics. does anyone else ask why this car is so popular? I just didn't see anything to crave with this car

Yes, that vintage did appear cheap. They are reliable though. And the V6 version was quite fast.

The newer ones are considerably nicer. Especially in higher levels of trim.

2014 camry interior
2014-toyota-camry-interior.jpg

2013-Toyota-Camry-SE-rear-interior-seats.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:

my gf's sister has a 2011 camry qnd I got to detail it yesterday. found it to be very cheaply made. poor workmanship and cheap plastics. does anyone else ask why this car is so popular? I just didn't see anything to crave with this car

People's reasons for purchasing differ; she didn't buy it to satisfy your cravings. j/k, well sort of.

My echo is +10 years old and basically been a bulletproof car. I could careless that it has a rubbermaid (tm) interior or looks like a pregnant rollerskate.

Last edited:
I missed the "craving" part. We bought ours because of what it would do for us, not because we "craved" it. I guess you could say we "craved" all the stuff that Toyota is reputed to do, like be reliable and whatnot. In the end we wanted a toaster albeit in a stickshift. Could care less about driving dynamics at this stage in our lives.

They are pretty bad indeed.
A lot has changed, I used to be brand loyal but it's impossible to be when the product is so obviously inferior or subpar to what it could be.

I used to say Nissan was my favorite brand, and every time I see a 4th generation Maxima SE or Altima SE-R I remember why.. But they don't offer anything like that anymore and they are all but dead to me, with the exception of the 370Z and GT-R of course.

Honda is the only of the Japanese companies that builds more than one model I like, and that still have some build quality.

Though that post on the first page about missing the 90's is pretty much spot on. That is why cars like the FR-S are so important. That is a 90's inspired car if I have ever seen one, just look at the interior.... I love it. All business.

By the way, there is one car clearly missing from that pic of the 3 red Japanese sports cars, and that is the Z32, in my opinion the best of all of them.
smile.gif

I had a 2011 Camry. It was okay, quality-wise. Our 2008 CR-V certainly has a better interior build quality.

But none of that matters. People who buy Camry-after-Camry-after-Camry don't buy them because the the interior is Sachs Fifth Avenue. They buy Camry-after-Camry-after-Camry because they're simple, they're comfortable, they're economical, and they're reliable.

Our Mopar minivans were made out of Tupperware, too. But when you're raising kids, that stuff is handy. It's hard to get milk stains and apple juice stains out of fabric door cards. But a door card of mostly plastic and soft touch vinyl (like the 2011 Camry has)? A quick baby wipe is all you need.

I have to agree on the Equinox interior looking cheap. I prefer the interior of my beater '91 Camry DX over my dad's 2012 Malibu even though the sun has faded the dash in one spot. The new Camry interior looks great, especially with the black leather. My dad's car as another review I read said it had a basketball type texture to the dash and door panels. Not really a fan of that, but the exterior looks good. I would for sure test drive a new Camry just to see the difference 23 years can make.
Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
The 2012 interior is better but it still has some cheap plastic. The plastic does not break (easily) but it is "cheap"... bt no where as bad as entry-level American interiors. Keep in mind that many of these are 21-23K general family haulers. You do not want wood trim because you 8 year old will carve sponge-bob into it.

The absolute worse I have come across is the in-laws Equinox. Holy-batman that is built out of plastic fisher-price turned down.
13761198.jpg

Plus, 1990s Japanese cars were not as good as the 80s makes. (and some will say no were close to the 70s)

The Tracker interior reminds me of 1980's airport furniture, but that's OK, I spend 99.9% of my time looking out the windows at the road.
What surprises me, is how many lower end cars have the exterior paint visible on the door pillars. I never noticed on the Tracker as its grey and the exterior is silver, but if you get a colour other than biege, grey or black, odds are it will clash with the interior. I guess its just another thing to save a nickle and might push someone up a car segment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back