toyota camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
my gf's sister has a 2011 camry qnd I got to detail it yesterday. found it to be very cheaply made. poor workmanship and cheap plastics. does anyone else ask why this car is so popular? I just didn't see anything to crave with this car

The Honda Accord of that era was a little cheaply made too compared to other years, but the new ones are MUCH better. Bother are great cars though.

^Exactly. 2008 to 2012 accord was not that great. Now, 2013+ it is an amazing machine. It is now Toyota's turn to catch up.

Cost cutting to keep car cost down,and profits up.This is one of the things kicking Toyotas butt now...the cost cutting is costing them recall dollars.So,they pay one way,or the other.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Unfortunately all current cars seem to be made out of cheap disposable plastic.

Yup. Even with all the luxury makes I interact with on a daily basis I'm astonished by the amount of plastic used. The interior that impresses me most? 2011+ Grand Cherokee, absolutely beautiful.

That is why I enjoy driving European cars. Say what you want about their reliability, I have had good experiences and they don't feel like a plastic tin can (the new Jetta excepted).

Cheap compared to what?

Compared to a 2011 Mercedes Benz E350? Yeah.

Compared to what Daimler did to Chrysler's interiors in general? Not so much.

It's Toyota. I don't find it to be cheap, just as inoffensive as possible and the color palette is straight out of Blandville. "What is the most neutral and boring grey we can come up with? OH! This one!"

I mean just look at the Corolla interior:

43929585.jpg

Uhhh, yep.
smirk.gif
That is an interior. Not imaginative. Not artistic. Somewhat functional I suppose.

I miss the old days, (Read: Pre 2000) Japanese Cars.
Toyota and Honda have seem to have gone the way of GM and Ford just a few years ago. Getting complacent, and not giving it there 100% all.

This Civic Si isn't as good as it could be, The Accord went CVT, The Camry's "GROUNDED TO THE [censored] GROUND"..... When It just isn't.
The day's of the Integra GS-R, Supra TT & CRX-Si's are gone.
And there quality interior's, and Fun to drive factor's went with them.
If you excuse me, I'm going to go cry now
cry.gif

YpByd8y.png

The 2012 interior is better but it still has some cheap plastic. The plastic does not break (easily) but it is "cheap"... bt no where as bad as entry-level American interiors. Keep in mind that many of these are 21-23K general family haulers. You do not want wood trim because you 8 year old will carve sponge-bob into it.

The absolute worse I have come across is the in-laws Equinox. Holy-batman that is built out of plastic fisher-price turned down.
13761198.jpg

Plus, 1990s Japanese cars were not as good as the 80s makes. (and some will say no were close to the 70s)

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
It's Toyota. I don't find it to be cheap, just as inoffensive as possible and the color palette is straight out of Blandville. "What is the most neutral and boring grey we can come up with? OH! This one!"

Uhhh, yep.
smirk.gif
That is an interior. Not imaginative. Not artistic. Somewhat functional I suppose.

I have the most innovative Toyota Interior of the all. MR2 Spyder

p62912_large%2B2001_Toyota_MR2_Spyder%2BInterior_Wheel.jpg

DOTS! DOTS! CIRCLES, BUMPS, and MORE DOTS! I GOT A FEVER AND THE PRESCRIPTION IS FOR MORE DOTS!

When was the design for the 2011 Camry done? During the great crash? Not sure if that factors into it.

It's a boring interior. We manage. I almost admire the carpet, it seems to let go of dirt pretty easily. The seats are a bit meh tho.

I don't understand it, every time I'm in one I get the same feeling.

Toyota is selling on their reputation. My moms Rav4 has had a lot more issues than it should have.

Buick Regal's of the same vintage are better cars, as are Ford Fusions. But oh no American cars are horrible, Japanese all the way I guess.

The best interiors are Italian and British. I always crack up at what they call "leather" in a Toyota, they don't have leather inside their cars, just some sort of synthetic material that's thin and kind of smells like what a good interior should smell like.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
I don't understand it, every time I'm in one I get the same feeling.

Toyota is selling on their reputation. My moms Rav4 has had a lot more issues than it should have.

Buick Regal's of the same vintage are better cars, as are Ford Fusions. But oh no American cars are horrible, Japanese all the way I guess.

You sir are Correct. Many companies are doing this "reputation musical chairs"
It works, Because the public/media are generally slow to adapt/change/accept new idea's.
Fram..Moog...Honda....
See the pattern here?
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
I miss the old days, (Read: Pre 2000) Japanese Cars.
Toyota and Honda have seem to have gone the way of GM and Ford just a few years ago. Getting complacent, and not giving it there 100% all.

This Civic Si isn't as good as it could be, The Accord went CVT, The Camry's "GROUNDED TO THE [censored] GROUND"..... When It just isn't.
The day's of the Integra GS-R, Supra TT & CRX-Si's are gone.
And there quality interior's, and Fun to drive factor's went with them.
If you excuse me, I'm going to go cry now
cry.gif

YpByd8y.png

20.gif

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
Originally Posted By: Spazdog

Uhhh, yep.
smirk.gif

DOTS! DOTS! CIRCLES, BUMPS, and MORE DOTS! I GOT A FEVER AND THE PRESCRIPTION IS FOR MORE DOTS!

laugh.gif
thumbsup2.gif

That's a different breed of Toyota entirely.

Too bad they didn't continue the line with a W40.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc

My ex gf had one of these. Probably the absolute funnest car to drive!

Originally Posted By: dareo
My corolla thinks the 1980s were clearly the best.

I really want to get my hands on one of those. Definitely want the AE86 GTS

Thanks, yall, the MR2 is a blast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back