Toyota Avalon 1MZ-FE Amsoil S2k 13.5k miles, 103.5k on engine, 9months, no filtr chng

Status
Not open for further replies.
Usually I complain that folks here are changing oil far too often, but I think you should cut it back a little even though your wear is low. At least change the filter halfway through to give the TBN a boost. I would suspect you very well might have high temperature deposits developing under your valve cover.

These engines are not very kind to their oil - I run 12K intervals in my Sienna (same engine) with Redline and the oil is getting marginal at that point IMO.

quote:

Originally posted by slider:
Usually I complain that folks here are changing oil far too often, but I think you should cut it back a little even though your wear is low. At least change the filter halfway through to give the TBN a boost. I would suspect you very well might have high temperature deposits developing under your valve cover.

These engines are not very kind to their oil - I run 12K intervals in my Sienna (same engine) with Redline and the oil is getting marginal at that point IMO.

Thanks for the advice, I'll pass it on to the owner of the avalon... aparently he is satisfied with this uoa. The fact the he didn't change the filter was not intentional, he intends on changing it he just forgot or something...

Anyways, I've got a sienna van with 270k sitting in the garage right now, as soon as it's done with its Auto-rx cycle, I'm going to throw in some amsoil 10w40 and run it for 15k to see what kind of results I get...

I don't see how changing the filter is going to do anything for the TBN other than the extra cup of fresh oil that will have to be added if the filter is changed.

I think most filters can last 10,000 miles without problems on a normal engine. And that's probably about the OCI that this guy should go to so that he has just a little more safety margin.

bythabay,

The UOA shows little wear but I see that this UOA is for Amsoil S2K which is 0W-30 but the on the analysis 5W-30 is listed,
which one is right?

This oil thickened some, 69.4 SUS is a cSt of 12.8, just into the 40 weight territory.
The TBN was very low, I would cut back to 12,000 mile OCI.

The cromium is more then likely from the valve train! He should try reduceing the OCI to 10,000 miles and change that filter half way through the OCI! Make sure he tops off after the filter change. That low TBN is a huge issue!!!!!!!!!!! Anything lower then 2 by most companie or 1 for black stone is dangerious. The TBN is what protects the engine from acidic corrosion. Once the TBN gets below 2 you basicly have a chance for acid and other combustion byproducts to etch into the various materials in the engine! While it is a Toyota it is not imune to the ravages of internal corrosion!

quote:

Originally posted by Bill:
bythabay,

The UOA shows little wear but I see that this UOA is for Amsoil S2K which is 0W-30 but the on the analysis 5W-30 is listed,
which one is right?

This oil thickened some, 69.4 SUS is a cSt of 12.8, just into the 40 weight territory.
The TBN was very low, I would cut back to 12,000 mile OCI.

Ahh.. you make a good point.. this has to be the s3k then.. not the 2k.. my appologies.

Pablo,

The new 8 TBN, 5w-40 won't last 10k in this application....The S2000 or S3000 is probably the way to go here.

TS

I'd cut back to 10k-12k on this motor. This particular V-6 degrades the oil very rapidly and you really want some TBn reserve to keep deposits to a minimum. I'd want a minimum TBN of about 2.0 from Blackstone in this application, or 4.0 from most other labs.

Aside from that the numbers are excellent....

Note: trying to run the Amsoil 10w-40 for 15k in this application is also NOT advised, unless you test it after 10k miles...

TS

My opinion: This engine is a perfect candidate for nice, easy-to-remember 10k OCIs. The owner is in dangerous territory with that TBN. Why gamble the health of such an expensive machine trying to squeeze more miles from an oil than it's prepared to give???

I do NOT advise 15K with Amsoil 10W-40 on this engine. NO way. There is nothing magic about the old fashioned 10W-40 that will allow you to go 15K.

If there is some reason you want a XW-40 use the AFL and just do 10K.

Totally agree with ek. Too easy!

Originally posted by bythabay:

>Anyways, I've got a sienna van with 270k sitting in >the garage right now...

Have you had any valve adjustments during that time?
Those who have worked on these engines have said that the valve seat tends to wear faster than the valve train. IOW, the valve tightens, rather than becoming noisy, which can potentially lead to a burned valve situation.

Doing valve adjustments on the back head are a real *****!

Mine has only 148K, still runs perfectly, and is spotless under the vlave cover.

quote:

Originally posted by slider:

>Anyways, I've got a sienna van with 270k sitting in >the garage right now...

Have you had any valve adjustments during that time?
Those who have worked on these engines have said that the valve seat tends to wear faster than the valve train. IOW, the valve tightens, rather than becoming noisy, which can potentially lead to a burned valve situation.

Doing valve adjustments on the back head are a real *****!

Mine has only 148K, still runs perfectly, and is spotless under the vlave cover.

Thanks for the advice, I try to get them adjusted.
I wouldn't mind doing it myself either, do you know how? Perhaps I could swing by
smile.gif

Pablo,

This is a VOA on the new AFL product:

Ca, 1440 ppm
Mg, 15 ppm
P, 700 ppm
Zn, 800 ppm
B, 50 ppm
TBN/ASTM D-4739, 6.4 - note: this is approx 8.0 using the ASTM D-2896 method on the spec sheet.

This is a low SAPS formulation - it's NOT an extended drain formulation, except for Euro engines that have large sumps.

I wouldn't mind doing it myself either, do you know how? Perhaps I could swing by
smile.gif

No, I don't do them myself as the shims are usually only avaliable as a full kit, which one doesn't use very often for one engine. Having someone do it for you isn't cheap, since it is time consuming, especially for the back head. ;-(

2001 Toyota Avalon 3.0L V6

Column 1:
Amsoil HDD 5w30
13,507 miles on the oil, 103,451 on the unit.
Amsoil SDF-57 Oil Filter
9 Months

Column 2:
UNKNOWN

Both labs were Blackstone

code:

Al 3 2

Cr 1 1

Fe 12 9

Cu 4 7

Pb 0 1

Sn 0 0