Toyota 5.7L burning oil

If not B then A.

Seriously though that is way beyond any "brand change" consumption anyone has ever posted here. I change brands all the time in both my new Tiguan (twice now) and my ancient old cars and I never see anything like this. In fact I'm not sure I've ever seen increased consumption due to a brand change, but maybe that's just me. Other people have, but not going from zero to 1 quart per 1000 miles.
I recently experienced a similar issue with Rotella Gas Truck 5W20 on a older Honda V6 engine. Previous fill of conventional oil after 7000 miles was 2 qt low. A fresh fill of Rotella Gas Truck 5W20 was over 2 qt low after 3k.

183k on my 4.7 just back from a 3k trip much at +85mph, 4.5k on OCI...no detectable consumption, did not miss a beat or shift, no clunks, 15.6 mpg.....delt with head winds, freezing rain to snow all but 600 mi.

Last edited:
183k on my 4.7 just back from a 3k trip much at +85mph, 4.5k on OCI...no detectable consumption, did not miss a beat or shift, no clunks, 15.6 mpg.....delt with head winds, freezing rain to snow all but 600 mi.
Ahh 2 things I noticed.

4.7 in not the same engine as the 5.7, I used to have 2 of the 4.7L in an 2001 Tundra and 2002 sequoia, put many many trouble free miles on them, had frame issues those years.

It also looks like you are using M1 0w-40. As I stated before there is no consumption with 0w-20 M1.

I have a 2015 tundra with a 5.7l and 35k miles. My last change was RGT 0w20 and 5k miles later I had to add a quart. My next change I might switch to a 0w30 or a 5w30.

Ahh 2 things I noticed.

4.7 in not the same engine as the 5.7, I used to have 2 of the 4.7L in an 2001 Tundra and 2002 sequoia, put many many trouble free miles on them, had frame issues those years.

It also looks like you are using M1 0w-40. As I stated before there is no consumption with 0w-20 M1.
I would make it see redline a few times more often in your oci and get it nice an hot. If theres any gunk it could be let loose and free things up, good ole italian tune up.

A bit of back sorry, I maintain a 5.7L for a buddy of mine which has 70K miles. I have maintained it since about 20K miles and it always used Mobil 1 AFE 0w-20 every 5K miles as he does not want deviate from the recommended viscosity. Did not use a drop between oil changes

Fast forward to the last three oil changes, I used RGT since we scored a stash like a lot have and the truck starts using oil 1qt per 1K miles. So at 4K we dumped the oil and used Mobil 1 AFE again and oil burning stopped? Now on the third oil change went back to RGT since we have a stash to use and burning started again.

I am starting to re think my position that oil is oil. Maybe there is some truth to the fact that certain cars prefer certain oils.

Wondering if we should dump it so as not to poison the CATS with all that oil burning or wait till OCI time?

Not bashing RGT as I use it in other vehicles and I am brand agnostic.

I may try supertech, valvoline as I have those in the stash as well to see how those behave. With an 8quart sump though hate to waste good oil.

I know that I'm going to get some flack for this, but here it goes: Rotella Gas Truck is junk motor oil. There, I said it. I have friends that tried it in their RAM 1500 HEMI trucks and it burned up quite a bit.

My recommendation: Go to Mobil 1 EP 0W-20, it's awesome motor oil. I'm very happy with it. Maybe it will burn a bit more oil after one oil change, or until you get all the RGT out. Good luck!

I have been running 5w-30 synthetics in my 2011 Tundra with the 5.7 for the last several years. I have used PP, PU, and currently running Amsoil SS that has been in since August. Have not decided if I'm going back with the Amsoil this coming August or if I'll try some Castrol EP in 5w-30.

On my Tundra if you put in 8 quarts, the dipstick reading is only halfway between the low and full marks. However, 8.5 quarts brings the level all the way up to the full mark. I have filled with 8 quarts before and also filled to the max before and the oil level does not fluctuate between changes.

I have been running 5w-30 synthetics in my 2011 Tundra with the 5.7 for the last several years. I have used PP, PU, and currently running Amsoil SS that has been in since August. Have not decided if I'm going back with the Amsoil this coming August or if I'll try some Castrol EP in 5w-30.

On my Tundra if you put in 8 quarts, the dipstick reading is only halfway between the low and full marks. However, 8.5 quarts brings the level all the way up to the full mark. I have filled with 8 quarts before and also filled to the max before and the oil level does not fluctuate between changes.
In your experience, does the engine run any smoother or quieter with any specific oil that you have used?

Last edited:
0w20Afe runs smoother than the EP in my 2.5 Camry. The Afe is not a long oci oil down here in the heat. Jmo
What do you mean by heat, internal combustion engines run in a very narrow temp , ambient temps aren't a factor.

What do you mean by heat, internal combustion engines run in a very narrow temp , ambient temps aren't a factor.
I have a lot of short trips and think the heat is harder on the oil. Look at the Mobil advertising. AFE is a 10,000 mile oil and EP is a 20,000 mile oil. Again my point was the AFE is Smoother than the EP but not as durable as the EP in my use. Ascribe whatever reason you wish.....that's my experience.

I have a lot of short trips and think the heat is harder on the oil. Look at the Mobil advertising. AFE is a 10,000 mile oil and EP is a 20,000 mile oil. Again my point was the AFE is Smoother than the EP but not as durable as the EP in my use. Ascribe whatever reason you wish.....that's my experience
Actually with high ambient temps you're in an even better position, quick warm ups... which is easier on oil, little to no fuel dilution, ect.. when it's below freezing here I tend to try to combine my trips as to only have to warm the car up once a day, in the summer I don't pay attention since it's 90 degrees outside.

That 2.5 will probably run like a top until the coming with any old oil, my Toyota only mechanic compares it to the old 5sfe as far as robust design.

If it went from "did not use a drop between oil changes" to 1 quart in 1000 miles, either someone is making it up or there is some serious mechanical problem at hand. There really is no other explanation. That's going from "no" oil usage in 5000 miles to using five quarts.
Please look at my post about my 2001 ford f350. It went from zero oil added since new. And used / consumed 3 quarts in 3100 miles..over 11 months.
I will check further to document and try to figure out my truck situation. And i stayed with mobil 1 5w20 only at 5000 mile intervals for 20 years.. the sudden surprise. Got me.

Going from almost nothing, to high oil consumption is a broken ring etc. It's a mechanical problem.
If it stops with changing oil- you should too.

Throw 15W-40 in their instead of that water weight CAFE oil.

I hope its not a broken part.. i am going to replace the pvc valve first and watch oil consumption.
My old truck only has 116 k miles so a stuck or broken ring would be bad. And its always had full synthetic oil and never more than 6000 miles. So I would hope for no internal engine issues.

Back