Toyota 5.7L burning oil

Utterly incorrect. The winter rating of the oil is analogous to the viscosity of the base stock. Sure, PAO's and Esters can achieve a viscosity spread that partially mimics old school conventional multi grade oils. However, I promise the base stock of all 0W oils is very thin, and the VII's do not provide the exact same protection as a higher viscosity oil of a similar rating that is made without VII's. Both pour point depressants and VII's shear with use too. Leading to lower "in use" viscosity. Period, end of story.
What is the cold viscosity difference between a 0W and a 5W rated oil at typical starting temperatures? What exactly does "water thin" mean in this context?

Plus some 0W rated oils use less VII than their 5W rated counterparts. Broad suppositions as you made are incorrect at best, especially considering that all VII are not identical. Period, end of story, or however you wish to dismiss it.

Last edited:
What is the cold viscosity difference between a 0W and a 5W rated oil at typical starting temperatures? What exactly does "water thin" mean in this context?

Plus some 0W rated oils use less VII than their 5W rated counterparts. Broad suppositions as you made are incorrect at best, especially considering that all VII are not identical. Period, end of story, or however you wish to dismiss it.
So why do 0w-x rated oils in general have a lower viscosity then their 5w-X counterparts at operating temps? I believe the term referred to on this site is a thin 30, or a thin 40. Example than comes mind rotella T6 0w-40 lower viscosity than T6 5w-40 at operating.

I’m no tribolgist but is the slope of the curve of rate of change of viscosity from ambient temp to operating temp the same for similar grade oils? or do some oils within the same exhibit a faster/slower rate of change?

Agreed, the Honda and Chevy engines are purring along with RGT.

the 5.7L is also noticeably quieter on RGT vs M1. I guess it is back to M1 on the 5.7L or may try Valvoline or Supetech.
Yup, for my Chevy 5.3 the RGT was the best I used for oil consumption, prior to that I used SuperTech, Pennzoil Platinum and Napa synthetic.

If he insists on sticking with a 20....try some M1 EP 5/20. It's quite heavy for a 20.....coming in at a 9 at 100°C.

I just did an OC on my friends '17 Sequoia using it. I intend to run it in my wife's Corolla from now on too

So why do 0w-x rated oils in general have a lower viscosity then their 5w-X counterparts at operating temps? I believe the term referred to on this site is a thin 30, or a thin 40. Example than comes mind rotella T6 0w-40 lower viscosity than T6 5w-40 at operating.

I’m no tribolgist but is the slope of the curve of rate of change of viscosity from ambient temp to operating temp the same for similar grade oils? or do some oils within the same exhibit a faster/slower rate of change?
So you believe that the allowed viscosity variation in a grade designation is what caused the consumption to go from "zero" usage to 1 quart in 1000 miles? Or somehow like Cujet proposed it is connected to the winter rating?

If he insists on sticking with a 20....try some M1 EP 5/20. It's quite heavy for a 20.....coming in at a 9 at 100°C.

I just did an OC on my friends '17 Sequoia using it. I intend to run it in my wife's Corolla from now on too
So you believe that the allowed viscosity variation in a grade designation is what caused the consumption to go from "zero" usage to 1 quart in 1000 miles? Or somehow like Cujet proposed it is connected to the winter rating?
Nowhere in my post did I mention I believe the viscosity variation within grade or the W rating is what is causing the oil consumption. I merely asked a follow question as to why 0w-X oil are thinner within grade then their 5w-X counterparts.

Nowhere in my post did I mention I believe the viscosity variation within grade or the W rating is what is causing the oil consumption. I merely asked a follow question as to why 0w-X oil are thinner within grade then their 5w-X counterparts.
Not always correct at all, many European 0W-30 oils are on the top end of the grade. Same for European 0W-20 such as VW 508 000 approved oil.

op,
You went from M1 AFE 0W20 to RGT. What viscosity grade? 0W20?

also not that Noack and flash point differences could account for 1 qt. loss per 1000 miles ... however I'm curious what the Noack and flash point numbers are for M1 AFE 0W20 and RGT xWy.

Not always correct at all, many European 0W-30 oils are on the top end of the grade. Same for European 0W-20 such as VW 508 000 approved oil.
Now that you are mention European oils, when you compare European oils to each other then within types the 0w-X European oil are also thinner than their European 5w-X counterparts.

op,
You went from M1 AFE 0W20 to RGT. What viscosity grade? 0W20?

also not that Noack and flash point differences could account for 1 qt. loss per 1000 miles ... however I'm curious what the Noack and flash point numbers are for M1 AFE 0W20 and RGT xWy.
Still 0w-20 RGT. Not sure what the NOACKs are.

Now that you are mention European oils, when you compare European oils to each other then within types the 0w-X European oil are also thinner than their European 5w-X counterparts.
Even if that’s true we still have the problem that you are proposing this as an explanation for the consumption increasing from zero to 1 quart per thousand miles. There’s no way that’s the cause. This viscosity variation is a side issue and is not the cause of the problem. It’s not “water thin” oil nor is it a problem due to the winter rating of the oil.

yes, given the kind of oil used, burning 1 qt. per 1000 miles (vs. none) is very abnormal in any car and especially in a Tundra!

Wonder what else is going on?
Were all the oil bottles properly sealed?

I have not had any oil burning in my 5.7 Tundra and I have 40,000 on the clock. I have used Amsoil, Mobil 1 EP, and TGMO. No difference other than the TGMO and Amsoil keep the engine quieter. 10,000 mile OCI. Next oil change, I am going back to TGMO because I can get it for $4.50 per quart at the dealer.

Just dumped the RGT this weekend and went back to Mobil 1 on a short OCI. Will now in a couple of weeks how the consumption is.

Really?
Castrol Edge 0W40: 13.2cst
Castrol Edge 5W40: 12.8cst.
Just one example.

I have a motorcycle that doesn't like a certain oil ... burns way more of it than another brand - both the same viscosity. So yes, engines certainly can behave differently depending on the oil.

Really?
Castrol Edge 0W40: 13.2cst
Castrol Edge 5W40: 12.8cst.
Just one example.
I said in general. I believe you will find that majority of the 0w-C are thinner then their 5w-40 counterparts.

Had I said “All”then you would have a point.

I said in general. I believe you will find that majority of the 0w-C are thinner then their 5w-40 counterparts.

Had I said “All”then you would have a point.
In general 5/0W40 come mostly as Euro oils or HD oils. All Euro 0/5W40 are very close in KV100, bcs. approval is based on HTHS not KV100.

Back