Toyota 4.7 rear main leak

Hello all-

I have a 2007 Tundra with a 4.7 with 210k that started leaking oil recently. I had a shop look at it today and it has been diagnosed as the rear main (confirmed my suspicions). Cost to repair is ~$1600 and I'm not ready to drop that coin yet.
The drips on the garage floor are about quarter size.
In this case, would any type of high mileage oil or additive assist in slowing this small leak in the interim? Currently running Kirkland 5w-30 with an OE filter.
No other issues with the truck, it runs strong and all maintenance is current. The truck sees about 500 miles per month of use now and is an extra vehicle.
Thanks for your help!

My first try would be Maxlife blend (red bottle).

I'd go this route first. But, also depends on how much longer you wish to keep the Tundra. Just me but in this market, I'd look to keep it as long as possible. Your seem to average 15k a year so of MaxLife or a 5-40 slows the leak down you could be fone for another 2 years or so.

That’s a small leak, frankly. A HM oil will probably make a difference with that, or simply moving up a grade before using HM chemistry. I don’t like to add chemicals until I’m ready to stay with them. That said, at 210, it doesn’t owe you anything… HM should be fine. My Volvos started small RMS leaks a little before that, around 160k? I just kept feeding them spec oil.

btw - sold my 2006 tundra 4 dr 2wd in 2018 and was surprised with the trade in value - these trucks hold their value and are worth taking care of.

do you have any leaks from the valve cover area?

I can almost guarantee you that bars leak oil seal will stop that leak. There's a guy on the Power Stroke forums that was one of the engineers that helped develop it and he had nothing but good things to say about it. I've used it in probably 10 different cars all with success. Supposedly it doesn't have any bs in it, just a seal conditioner.

Thanks for all of the suggestions! The engine is tight and no other leaks besides the RM. I'll do an oil change this weekend with some HM oil and we'll see what happens. I'll update this post with any significant changes.

Thanks for all of the suggestions! The engine is tight and no other leaks besides the RM. I'll do an oil change this weekend with some HM oil and we'll see what happens. I'll update this post with any significant changes.
A number of the stop leaks are 16 oz bottles … Might be early for that if the HM oil has not been tried …

Back