Toyota 4.0 easy on oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

My wife drives a 19 4runner with the 4.0 v6. They are known to be fairly durable engines but I've not seen many UOAs on them. Are they fairly easy on oil or are those long timing chains tough on the lube? Just curious as the owners manual makes room for heavier grades in sever service and of course overseas.

Id like to shoot for a 10k oci...UOA verified...but i don't want to get into the same situation as a couple people i know with GM 3.6l mills that killed their timing chains doing the 10k routine.

Only sure way to know is to do a UOA. Can't answer your question, sorry. IDK>

Nice truck!

My mom has a 2015 4Runner with the 4.0 V6. 50k on the OD. Per the manual, it's 10k of normal usage, 5k for severe. The manual specs 0w20, but you can go up a grade if it's used for towing.

I religiously ran 10k OCI's with 0w20, but the last time I changed the oil, the oil filter housing looked a little sludgy. The filter was in service for 10 months or so and the truck was driven plenty of weekly highway miles between all of that. Moderate towing in the summer. Nothing that would deem it severe service IMO.

I am going to drop it down to 5k and treat it as severe service and see how everything looks. I'm also stepping it up to 5w30 synthetic. If it still looks bad, I guess it's time for a UOA.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARB1977
Use Toyota 0W20 and take it to 10K. My 15 Tacoma has a different 4.0L. It uses 5W30.

Aren't both of these vehicles' 4.0 engine the same 1GR-FE? I think it's also used in the Tundra.

Originally Posted by oghl
Use Toyota 0W20 and take it to 10K. My 15 Tacoma has a different 4.0L. It uses 5W30.

Aren't both of these vehicles' 4.0 engine the same 1GR-FE? I think it's also used in the Tundra.

Yep, same engine. Tacoma OM recommends 5w-30, 4Runner OM recommends 0w-20. Weird, huh?
smile.gif

Last edited:
Not sure how hard they are on oil? I changed the oil at 5k, then 10k, then 20k and just did the 30k. Seems to do ok with the 10k OCI. Oil looks fairly clean when I drain it and the filter and housing look fine. I don't see a reason to not run 10k OCIs with a quality syn 0W-20 and an OEM filter.

I'm running Castro's Edge this time, but last time was Penzoil Platinum and the PP seemed quieter? Maybe just placebo???

I have owned 6 Toyota's with these engines. Since about 2005. They are not remarkably tough on oil and have port injection. The 1grfe was updated in 2009-2010 (for the 4 runner and FJ cruiser but. Not the Tacoma , which kept the original single vvti version)to dual vvti, the valvetrain was rollerized and the head water channels were modified to better cool the piston jackets. Due to increase space concerns on top of the engine the oil filter was relocated to the bottom and a canister replaced the metal can.
I have ran everything from 0w20 t 0w40 in the newer virgin and have never had an engine or oil related issue.

I run viscosity based upon predicted service use.

Another thing.
The 4 runner has a resettable MPG counter and a resettable hour meter in the display menu. I use them to see the nature of service when my wife drives the vehicle. Which is typically 16.5 mpg and the hours rack up. So shopping, short trips, low speeds and traffic or idling . I use the severe interval for her based on this.
On long trips I can get over 22 mpg (sometime even better if the speeds are lower) if I keep it around 60-65 for comparison. If I was the only user and Did not do any off-roading or unpavedmroads I would feel confident with the 10k interval. However, the typical suburban American driving situation would indicate severe service.

Originally Posted by Doublehaul
Hey guys,

My wife drives a 19 4runner with the 4.0 v6. They are known to be fairly durable engines but I've not seen many UOAs on them. Are they fairly easy on oil or are those long timing chains tough on the lube? Just curious as the owners manual makes room for heavier grades in sever service and of course overseas.

Id like to shoot for a 10k oci...UOA verified...but i don't want to get into the same situation as a couple people i know with GM 3.6l mills that killed their timing chains doing the 10k routine.

Originally Posted by Doublehaul
Hey guys,

I've got a 7k UOA in the mail to Blackstone....

Originally Posted by cpayne5

Yep, same engine. Tacoma OM recommends 5w-30, 4Runner OM recommends 0w-20. Weird, huh?
smile.gif

Not exactly the same. The 1GR-FE in the Tacoma is VVT-i. The 1GR-FE in the 4Runner is Dual VVT-i, and produces more power.

Thanks, O2SE! Good to know the difference. But does that explain the different oil grade recommended by Toyota? I would think more power means it prefers a thicker oil film

Last edited:
From my earlier post, additional changes to the 1gr fe included the valvetrain was rollerized and the head water channels were modified to better cool the cylinders therefore keeping the oil film around the piston rings at a more controlled temperature. Improvements regardless of oil viscosity used, due to lower friction and improved cooling system.
Thanks, O2SE! Good to know the difference. But does that explain the different oil grade recommended by Toyota? I would think more power means it prefers a thicker oil film

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back