How long can a neglected Toyota 4.0 last at this rate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 2006 with 60k miles is a low mile runner. thats about 4600 miles a year, either not much driving or lots of short trips.

if that is still the pace, any oik would work. Even a good modern conventional (PYB) or blend would be fine to 7000 miles.

she has a maintenance reminder light that blinks at 4500 miles and goes solid at 5000 miles.

My recommendation: don't do anything. It's not your car, don't worry about how others treat their property, that's their responsibility.

I have had Four of those 4 runners in the past 5 years.. i was flipping them as side money. All were over 200K and i did not have to do anything engine related.. A good friend of mine had one with almost 400K and i know that she got her oil changed at Valvoline with conventional..

That engine is a commerical grade engine from what i remember. 50K.. is nothing.

As some on here cringe at the thought, the Toyota will soldier on until rust claims it doing just what she's doing as far as oil changes go.

Agreed. A neglectful Toyota driver should be on a strict M1 EP and a Fram Ultra diet.
Then check back with her a year from now. Helping her by changing the oil once a year is more than enough.

Last edited:
222K on my 07 Tacoma with that engine. I've done every oil change since new and I've always used some flavor of M1.

M1-EP and Fram Ultra @ 10K intervals has been my choice for years.

Engine is strong. No oil usage over the 10K OCI. I have had a few UOAs done, which I've posted here if anyone cares to take a look. I've had a couple of UOAs with Iron a bit high, but I've also pushed my OCI to 12K a few times. But it does see mostly highway use (I have a 36-mile round-trip commute that's almost all freeway, and I also make at least a couple of cross-town freeway trips per week that total at least 50 miles).

Her engine will likely outlast her ownership of the vehicle.

Didn't Toyota recommend 10K drains in that MY?
She may simply be wisely ignoring the garage's come back and see us in 5-6K stickers.
She may be better informed than you seem to think.

oil change recommended in the owners manual is 5000 miles for the 4.0 engine. now who seems to be not so well informed. when was the last time you met a woman who actually knew what mileage her oil changes were due at?

The 2006 had the older version of the 1gr fe with the single vvti and the flat bucket lifters and a smaller sump capacity,
It is not the dual vvti larger sump capacity with a rollerized valve train that was introduced in the 4 runner in MY 2009.

Walk away. When something inevitably breaks later, you'll get pinned for the blame.

Some people need an expensive mechanic bill or three to learn their lesson.

My 15 Tacoma 4.0L has 86K. I use Amsoil XL with the stock filter and change it every six months between 6000-7500 miles.

Originally Posted by ZebRuaj
Walk away. When something inevitably breaks later, you'll get pinned for the blame.

I agree. Why get involved? You will soon "own" this vehicle.

My wife had a 2000 Malibu and she would run every vehicle until the fuel gauge was bouncing on the "E". I told her she should fuel the vehicle when it gets to "1/4" but what did I know. She was smarter than me.

One day she called and said the car "just stopped running". I went out where she was and, yep, it wouldn't start. I knew what the problem was but didn't say anything. I told her to call the Chevy garage because it was on warranty.

The Chevy garage sent out a roll back and took it back to the garage. They put 10 gallons of fuel in the tank and she drove it home.
I never said anything about it but now the fuel gauge never goes below "1/4".

Originally Posted by ka9mnx

Originally Posted by other guy

I agree. Why get involved? You will soon "own" this vehicle.

My wife had a 2000 Malibu and she would run every vehicle until the fuel gauge was bouncing on the "E". I told her she should fuel the vehicle when it gets to "1/4" but what did I know. She was smarter than me.

One day she called and said the car "just stopped running". I went out where she was and, yep, it wouldn't start. I knew what the problem was but didn't say anything. I told her to call the Chevy garage because it was on warranty.

The Chevy garage sent out a roll back and took it back to the garage. They put 10 gallons of fuel in the tank and she drove it home.
I never said anything about it but now the fuel gauge never goes below "1/4".

lol.gif

In that situation I would not say I told you so, but rather mention it in passing next time there's a discussion about auto maintenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back