Toyota 3.5 startup noise and oil weight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by millerbl00
The timing chain tensioner has problems with anything above 0w-20. UOA will not pick that up until the tensioner fails

Really? It seems odd that other countries (like Australia) have heavier oils recommended for this same engine. Not to mention the fact that the identical engine for the same year RAV4 calls for 5W30.

Last edited:
Yeah, I definitely plan to. I'm just trying to get actual data from other owners as to whether or not they experiences any startup noise after switching from 0W20 to 5W30. I have zero doubt 5W30 is fine for my engine overall. I just want to know if anyone has experienced this one annoyance after switching.

Last edited:
I have seen engines spec'd for 0w-20 that when switched to 5w-30 the timing chain tensioner failed causing more noise FYI

Originally Posted by millerbl00
The timing chain tensioner has problems with anything above 0w-20. UOA will not pick that up until the tensioner fails

Well then you can not start the engine up.

I have 2007 Toyota with the 3.5. It has had the cold engine piston slap since new. The manual calls for 5w30 and was later back spec'd to TGMO 0w20, I have tried every weight oil from TGNMP 0w20 to 15w40 HDEO (and every weight in between). Surprize Surprize Surprize the Toyota engineers original recommendation of 5w30 is the sweet spot for cold start piston slap noise. 12 years and 190,000 miles later it is still motoring along just fine. I am sure they have made improvements to the 3.5 over the years to address some of the early issues.

Originally Posted by smithph
I have 2007 Toyota with the 3.5. It has had the cold engine piston slap since new. The manual calls for 5w30 and was later back spec'd to TGMO 0w20, I have tried every weight oil from TGNMP 0w20 to 15w40 HDEO (and every weight in between). Surprize Surprize Surprize the Toyota engineers original recommendation of 5w30 is the sweet spot for cold start piston slap noise. 12 years and 190,000 miles later it is still motoring along just fine. I am sure they have made improvements to the 3.5 over the years to address some of the early issues.

My 2008 3.5 does the same thing when cold but it is very quiet at operating temp. I have the same engine in a 2012 Rav4 and it is very quiet when cold. Toyota definitely changed something in the design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back