Toyota 0w16 substitute for M20A-FKS engine

yes it is a 2019 Toyota Corolla hatchback XSE with the M20A-FKS engine. Coming up with two Wix oil filter numbers 10332 and 51394,sigh

Last edited:
yes it is a 2019 Toyota Corolla hatchback XSE with the M20A-FKS engine. Coming up with two Wix oil filter numbers 10332 and 51394,sigh
The 10332 looks like a shop filter probably good for 5-7,500 mile oci. I’d personally run the 51394 be equivalent to say a fram orange can.

First of the Valvoline 0w16 went in today, along with a Fram Ultra filter 4957 ( it was cheaper than getting the wix by mail). Replaced Cabin filter (ugh it was dirty) and Air filter (not bad, changed anyway).

Okay got rid of the white whale (2012 Honda Odyssey, 178000 miles). Wife wanted a high economy car with seat heaters, no new corollas available so she selected a 2109 Toyota Corolla hatchback XSE with the M20A-FKS engine. No problem I thought just put some Valvoline EP in at next oil change and... There is no 0w16 Valvoline EP. So my question is what substitutes are there for Toyota 0w16 engine oil or is there a good online spot to order TGMO 0w16 oil. Only 0w16 oil I found on a shelve was Mobil1 AFE.

A 2019?

First of the Valvoline 0w16 went in today, along with a Fram Ultra filter 4957 ( it was cheaper than getting the wix by mail). Replaced Cabin filter (ugh it was dirty) and Air filter (not bad, changed anyway).
You will be fine.

I have 200k miles of experience with this engine, accrued in a combination of Miller Cycle (higher compression ratio) and not.

I have used only 0W16 and thinner.

Stick to 5k or 7.5 k mile OCIs with the Valvoline IMO.

Top Tier fuel is not necessary with D-4S.

Yes a 4967 filter. and 5000 mile oil changes are planned. Engine still quiet to me, however I'm used to listening to engine in my Subaru 2017 Crosstrek.

You will be fine.

I have 200k miles of experience with this engine, accrued in a combination of Miller Cycle (higher compression ratio) and not.

I have used only 0W16 and thinner.

Stick to 5k or 7.5 k mile OCIs with the Valvoline IMO.

Top Tier fuel is not necessary with D-4S.
Direct. With these engines do you have a list of recommended replacement mileages for parts (ie electric water pump)?

Direct. With these engines do you have a list of recommended replacement mileages for parts (ie electric water pump)?
Sorry I do not. My plan includes changing the coolant at 120k miles (18-20 months in my case.) I will ask the dealership service advisor about the water pump at 240k miles. This is all due to my high rate of miles accrued vs time.

Toyota still recommends Top Tier Gas even with the Atkinson Cycle. You can still get intake valve deposits on a port-injected engine, using non-Top Tier gas. It's more than just amount of detergents in the gas, but it's also the right detergent package to minimize deposit formation from combustion.

Screenshot 2022-07-09 113600.jpg

The laboratory completed the test on a Ford port injected 2.3-liter engine, which appears to be the Lima engine from the late 1980s. This engine has been used for testing for about 15 years and is a popular one, due to the orientation of the valves (which shows the difference in carbon deposits in just 100 hours of testing). The full report shows compares the average 34.1 milligram carbon deposit in the Top Tier fuel test to the average 660.6 mg carbon deposit in the non-Top Tier fuel test.

valvecomaparo-588x610.png

Toyota still recommends Top Tier Gas even with the Atkinson Cycle. You can still get intake valve deposits on a port-injected engine, using non-Top Tier gas. It's more than just amount of detergents in the gas, but it's also the right detergent package to minimize deposit formation from combustion.

View attachment 107302

valvecomaparo-588x610.png
This driver is cognizant of Toyota's recommendations. Having tried it both ways, I have found that Top Tier is not necessary for me. Fresh fuel ie from a busy service station. Decent quality. Never less than 1/4 tank at fill up. A little Red Line SE-1. Here and there. Maybe. Of course a steady dose of Super Shell or similar would be optimum.

Edit: your point is acknowledge and respected UG. I am so, so confident in D-4S. It did not matter in my Lexus UX 250h for 180k miles. And so far so good in my Corolla Cross

As a follow up to previous thoughts, and with recent discussions elsewhere in mind...

I have now accrued 225k miles of driving on the M20A-FKS/FXS engine.

This engine achieves 40% thermal efficiency. As one might imagine, the technology is quite advanced. For example, polymer coatings are used on the bearings in part to reduce wear.

Again, with this engine, I have only used oils that are 0W16 or thinner. IMHO the best substitute for TGMO 0W16, is a 0W16.

Brand is dependent on OPs driving conditions. It might be an economy 0W16, with very short OCIs. Or it might be a highest quality 0W16, with extended OCIs.

I offer this as an alternative to the CAFE argument. Hope this helps.

Back