Town of Weston photographs weeds to harass and fine resident

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just need to vent...
The town of Weston is harassing my 71 year old mother who has cancer and is crippled up with pain, over my deceased fathers cars.

They all have plates, inflated tires and are on gravel.
Some are weekend cars but nothing that would be easily sold in this area.

As usual it started when they saw me at her home doing some yard work for her I did not realize it was a board member at my neighbors party and she started pretending to be interested in one of my fathers micro cars then started ridiculing me that I need to sell it, even though the titles not in my name and such a car can only be sold far south as there is zero interest here in truck land.

I was too dumbfounded to make it clear I don’t live here and I don’t own the cars as I didn’t realize this was an a hole from the town.

My mother then got a letter the next day stating Bruce May... (who is deceased) that said red car didn’t have plates(which is false), was parked on grass (it’s not) stated she had weeds in the gravel (who cares), weeds in her blacktop, and per aerial photos she had weeds growing and she has 7 days to get rid of the cars and only park on blacktop and only keep all cars in the garage (of which she has no room and has never kept cars in there)

In the past when my father was alive they were harassing my folks and stated they would remove, crush and fine
my father said that’s fine but your gonna get a broken nose and knocked on your [censored]. He was then told he would go to jail and he said the $50 fine and 30 days would be worth it.

After that they got a few years free of harassment .

Just curious they have always parked outside in the gravel, the cars have plates and drones documenting weeds on the side of the garage seems like it should be illegal. The state of the property has been the same since the early 70’s before there were any laws on any of these matters.

I likely will be unable to sell the cars in under 7 days working 60 hours a week in a different area for more than $50, local junkyard says they will take them but can’t pay anything.

My past experience selling cars
When I tried to sell my 2010 Cobalt and 2001 Dodge crew on Craigslist, I started at blue book and over the months worked my way down and finally stopped at $500 with no takers, out of curiosity I asked the junkyard and they offered $500 each.
Craig’s really doesn’t work in this area, save to get a $50 offer.

I ended up keeping them because of this,
my mom apparently doesn’t have this option which seems pathetic

If they don’t care, How do I fight it then?

They claim that we can’t park cars on our driveway and want them in the garage.

I plan on spraying roundup on weeds which they say needs to be addressed.

In my experience it's usually Real Estate agents who "rat out" properties for vehicles, weeds, or untidy yards.

7 days seems quite heavy-handed to me, in my city the Fire Marshall comes around with a digital camera, then the City sends you an itemized list of things they want remedied, then you have 30 days to file an objection with your grounds (such as currently insured vehicles which are legal to have in a yard) and then after that process is decided, another letter also itemized and 30 days to remedy.

After that expires, the Fire Marshall returns for a final inspection, and if anything remains the City sends staff to mow / remove the remaining violations, and sends you a bill. If you don't pay the bill they add it to your Property Taxes due.

It's best if you deal with it yourself, because the City will send a crew of probably four people, a truck or maybe two, or worst case a bobcat and trailer, and if it comes to that it's going to be a $2,000 bill. But certainly no seven days to fix everything, plus a means of appeal and correction.

I had one complaint when I was laid up in hospital (suspicious "For Sale" sign at the property across the lane from me), and all it took was a phone call to the Fire Marshall and it all went away on the spot. But I know if I was able and about it would have been the whole nine yards.

They probably have some sentimental value to you as they were your father's cars, but it might be time to let them go if you're not going to drive them and/or enjoy them.

You don't have to actually sell those vehicles, just remove them, which could mean parking on the street even (depending on whether you have a bylaw about how long a vehicle can park without moving, but you could just move it a few feet and the clock should start clicking again from that point). Or move them somewhere else, if you know someone with lot space, maybe even a local repair shop who might have known your dad, or you, your mom, etc.

Once the property is inspected or even you sending a photo to confirm the removal, everything can go right back again. Don't be afraid to show proof of insurance either.

Weeds can be dealt with pretty quickly, even with some Weed-b-Gone (ORTHO) and twenty minutes with the outdoor lawn hose. Not everybody is OK with such a solution but the point is this is not an ordinary situation for your mom. Keep the pets indoors for two days.

Junkyards here pay $100 for any vehicle to be crushed as long as they still have an engine and transmission, but it doesn't even need to be the original motor. You can stuff a junk motor in the back seat and it's good to go. You have to arrange towing (or drive it) yourself, or it's $50. But there's a steel pipe foundry 150 miles south and they pay well for scrap so the wreckers have an outlet to make money at $100 per car. They'll pay more if it's something they want for parts.

Can you call an auction and have the vehicles sold there? It's not a high dollar solution but it's way more than the wreckers pay, plus it's low effort for you.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
They are betting you won't spend the money to get a lawyer. Strong arm tactic.

Yup. Did they cite the ordinaces they think are being broken in their letter?

If vehicles are registered, parked on pavement or gravel, and in acceptable condition there should be no issues. And condition is only an issue typically with HOAs, not town laws.

But even if no laws are being violated, you will only get them off your back with a letter from a lawyer saying you will sue the board for harassment; including in their individual capacity for the one that came over and talked to you that one day.

I understand how frustrating this stuff can be, I've sent letters like this. Existing properties that are in "newly incorporated" suburban areas can be particularly complex because lets face it, you were here first.

What is the title of the person who sent the letter? Typically the person who does code enforcement does not go looking for violations, it is usually a response to a complaint.

If you can work with the code enforcement person, explain the situation with your mother, show that you are making an effort, they will most likely be happy to give you time to fix any issues and get this off of their desk.

DO NOT try to make an adversary of these people, the adage that "you can't fight city hall" is true. When they realize that you are actual people and not just a "code violation" it will go much smoother.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
They probably have some sentimental value to you as they were your father's cars, but it might be time to let them go if you're not going to drive them and/or enjoy them.

They aren’t titled to me and still say Bruce May on the title, my mother would likely need to sell and sign and she usually won’t

The title may be an issue unless I junk, the cars are both quite rare but not super valuable.

The cars have plates, but do they have current registration? There's city laws that are different for each town, but often say you can't park a car in a front yard, or have a car with expired tags where they could be seen.

If it isn't worth it to sell the cars, then maybe it is a good time to junk them or sell them if you don't want them.

I would have liked to have met your Dad he sounds like quite a man. Here in New Hampshire we do not pester old widows either. I don’t know if you have it there but here we have Karz 4 Kidz which is a charity they pick up your car and donate them to needy you don’t get a cash payment per se you get a receipt that makes the car a charitable donation you can take when you do taxes. If there are several cars you might keep just one of them for yourself. I agree about the Roundup for weeds the stuff works. If the cars have plates and are registered and insured that is costing your Mom money so better to get rid of the cars.

Whatever dollars and time your Dad put into the cars is all spent, this year they are worth less than before and next year they will be worth less than they are now. I would try the charity donation first. I never heard of something as foolish as parking on gravel not blacktop so this town is abusing your family for sure.

Originally Posted By: JamesBond
I understand how frustrating this stuff can be, I've sent letters like this. Existing properties that are in "newly incorporated" suburban areas can be particularly complex because lets face it, you were here first.

What is the t
If you can work with the code enforcement person, explain the situation with your mother, show that you are making an effort, they will most likely be happy to give you time to fix any issues and get this off of their desk.

DO NOT try to make an adversary of these people, the adage that "you can't fight city hall" is true. When they realize that you are actual people and not just a "code violation" it will go much smoother.

That’s a nice thought but...

Remember this is the town board that spent a $100000 to prosecute an 80 year old Vietnam vet for haveing a Sunday morning fruit stand in the lot of a local restaurant that was closed Sundays

He was there since the 1970’s

The town didn’t “win” per se but even though he lasted quite a while both him and the restaurant went out of business due to the cost of legal BS

Even though it’s a 2000-$4000 loss for my mother and even though the cars have permanent non expiring plates I likely will have to junk the cars, the local yards have stated they will pay nothing for these small old cars.

I likely will get myself fired if I take time off to try to market these, I will try talking to the board but my mother already did and the beautification person is on vacation all week and others won’t talk.

I really don’t have any good options, I live over a hundred miles away and my mom will likely do nothing

Originally Posted By: wdn
I would have liked to have met your Dad he sounds like quite a man. Here in New Hampshire we do not pester old widows either.

Whatever dollars and time your Dad put into the cars is all spent, this year they are worth less than before and next year they will be worth less than they are now. I would try the charity donation first. I never heard of something as foolish as parking on gravel not blacktop so this town is abusing your family for sure.

Thanks for the kind words, I have very little time to donate, if I do I likely get nothing since my tax burden isn’t great and the value is probably small but probably better than giving the money grabbers a freebie if they are open Saturday to take the cars

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
Did they cite the ordinaces they think are being broken in their letter?

That's my question too. Sounds like city ordinances and not a Home Owner's Assiciation. OP, you should be able to find all the city ordinances on their city government website.

This story needs context. Weston is a city with it's head so far up its own rear that they didn't understand what was so shocking about Human Centipede.

It's one of those places afraid of normal people and the real world.

There have been numerous court battles over the parking of a regular passenger pickup truck in one's own driveway.

Weston shaped itself as a place for the highbrow elite, and if you don't happen to match, then you can basically drop dead or move.

Things have gotten worse as people have realized that even in this market, values still haven't returned to pre-2008 levels for a lot of properties. Stupid people believe that if they polish that place hard enough, that it will come back, but the current hot market is the East and Beaches. People aren't as interested in living all the way the heck out on the doorstep to the Everglades anymore.

I am quite certain that this woman is under attack by some real estate shark who will soon approach to alleviate her problems by attempting to acquire the property at a discount rate.

7 days is standard in this area for code violations. They like to keep the space aliens who cry about their property values happy.

That, or they would like to see one of "their kind" move in rather than her.

In any case, there's nothing stopping you from taking your own pics of the cars, and just throwing them up on eBay. Shouldn't eat too much of your time, and will get the customer base you want to see it.

It's worked for me multiple times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back