Toulene and ATF mix ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I currently own a Mini Cooper S (2011) and I am experiencing knock (confirmed by logging). Both fuel quality and octane are horrible here. There is only one type of gasoline available from the pump. Which is supposedly 84 Mon/ 95 Ron (89,5 AKI?)

I had been using Toluene with good results. BUT I have been told to add ATF (MMO not available here) not to damage my engine.

1) Is it necessary to add lubricant if not using more than %10 of toluene? For example: 45 liters of petrol + 5 liters of toulene.

2) If it is necessary or good practice will any kind of ATF do? Or should I get a specific type?

3) Will using this formula damage my catalytic converter or O2 sensors?

4) What is the optimal ratio of ATF to Toluene?

5) How much will ATF degrade the octane level I am trying to enhance in the first place?

Many Thanks

Your gasoline probably already contains some toluene, but I'm not sure if there's a big worry about adding more. I would guess the issue would be with diluting whatever additives the gas already has in it?
Can you get Lucas Fuel Treatment in your location? It has a poor reputation as a fuel injector cleaner here, but I believe it has some reasonable lubricating properties and is also not too expensive here in larger quantities (gallons are available at some US Walmarts).

You have to have something wacky going on. Needing to add toluene just to keep the car running cannot be normal.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Your gasoline probably already contains some toluene, but I'm not sure if there's a big worry about adding more. I would guess the issue would be with diluting whatever additives the gas already has in it?
Can you get Lucas Fuel Treatment in your location? It has a poor reputation as a fuel injector cleaner here, but I believe it has some reasonable lubricating properties and is also not too expensive here in larger quantities (gallons are available at some US Walmarts).

I don't have access to Lucas Fuel Treatment at my location.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
You have to have something wacky going on. Needing to add toluene just to keep the car running cannot be normal.

The car does run without a CEL and decent mileage but with reduced performance and pinging between 1250-2100 rpm at high load situations (for example climbing a hill, car is auto btw and likes to upshift as soon as possible)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
oil will reduce the octane rating.
The toluene should counter that
grin2.gif

Is your ignition timing setted correctly?

Do you have a timing chain or a belt? If...is your belt setted correctly?

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
Is your ignition timing setted correctly?

Do you have a timing chain or a belt? If...is your belt setted correctly?

Yes and Yes

Originally Posted By: Floydian

Yes, but how much?
Don't know but I would just use the toluene. I use to use Lacquer Thinner. It was 50/50 Toluene and Xylene.

Originally Posted By: Floydian

Yes, but how much?
Don't know but I would just use the toluene. I use to use Lacquer Thinner. It was 50/50 Toluene and Xylene.

But wouldn't using toluene by itself increase valve and upper bore wear?

Toluene is up to 40% of the gasoline make up as is. Valve ware is almost no existent anymore as far as i know due to the hardened seats used because of the unleaded fuel.

Toluene is up to 40% of the gasoline make up as is. Valve ware is almost no existent anymore as far as i know due to the hardened seats used because of the unleaded fuel.

Let's presume it's an older technology engine designed to run with leased fuel. If valve wear occurs due to solvent use, are the exhaust or intake valves effected?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back