Tough pistol choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cant make up my mind between a CZ-82 or a Yugo M57 Tokarev copy. I have a Makarov so I already have the 9x18 rounds for the CZ-82 and I know what to expect from the handgun also I own a Chinese Type 54 Tokarev in 9mm so I have plenty of experience with Tokarevs. The biggest problem for me is the fact that you can order a spam can of 1260rds of 7.62x25 for the Tokarev for only $90!!!!!!!!! Thats insane by todays prices! I just got an order of 500rds of 9x18 that cost $97.97!!!!!! There ya go. Im thinking of getting both since The Tokarev is $179.99 and the CZ is $229.99. I have enough cash in my wallet now to cover that but [censored] thats a lot of money to dump at once on pistols...

Also Ill be making my order through JGsales.com. Im not a 100% sure I want the Tokarev through them because they are rated in Good condition with frosty bores. Im not about to dump nearly $200 into a pistol if the barrels all pitted. So if you know a better website selling any countries Tokarev let me know. I wont buy through gun broker because people want to much for anything on there. Ive already checked.

Do you have any modern made pistols (Glock, Sig, Beretta, Smith&Wesson, etc)? If not I would save your money up and get a reliabe new pistol first. Surplus arms are fun to shoot and may be good for self defense, but I would go with a newer gun first. If you have newer non surplus stuff already, then go ahead and add both to your collection.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Do you have any modern made pistols (Glock, Sig, Beretta, Smith&Wesson, etc)? If not I would save your money up and get a reliabe new pistol first. Surplus arms are fun to shoot and may be good for self defense, but I would go with a newer gun first. If you have newer non surplus stuff already, then go ahead and add both to your collection.

My thoughts followed this line as well.

I have 2 cz52's.
My next old surpplus doohickie will be a p38, luger, or steyr. Maybe a nambu or webley....

I have to say that my reason for buying either might be different from yours. I wouldn't choose either gun for defense, competition, hunting, or even ammo-burning fun shooting, so the reason I'd have for getting one would be out of curiosity- To study in a mechanical or historical sense.
That's pretty much why I have a CZ-52. No good reason other than to familiarize myself with them.

With that in mind, the Tokarev would probably be my choice. Neither offers any unique mechanical feature I'm aware of, except perhaps the Tokarev's self-contained firing mechanism, so that leaves historical significance. Tokarev wins here being the oldest design, and having served Russia and other countries for decades, it saw service in several major and minor wars plus has that Cold War aura around it like the Makarov. The Makarov may have replaced it in a lot of cases, but not all. The CZ-82 caught a little of that, but came too late for much.

I also wanted to warn you of something you might already know. Some of the 7.62x25 ammo floating around out there was loaded for the CZ-52, which should handle higher pressure ammo than a Tokarev. This comes up now and then, and while I think some of the "hot" CZ-52 ammo isn't as hot as some like to think, I would still rather not run it through a Tok.

Originally Posted By: Rix
Maybe a nambu or webley....

I got a Webley a few years ago for the heck of it, and have been impressed. Nice trigger in both DA and SA, accurate, and pretty slick operating overall. I always thought they looked a little awkward, but that isn't the case.

I got a Mark VI in .38. I wanted a .455, but besides costing more to start with (and many are converted to .45ACP) ammo was easier for me to provide for in .38 S&W. I had a little .38 S&W on hand, plus the .38 Super dies I already had work on the .38 S&W.

I have been tempted to shoot it in an IDPA match the past couple of years just for fun. Speedloaders for the S&W K-frame 38/357s work just fine. Mine has a 5" barrel- one inch over IDPA limits- so I'd have to get an OK from the match director but I think he would allow it for his own curiosity.

I dont own any modern firearms and dont really plan on it. Unless a one time offer type of deal was to happen. I only like military weapons. Big surplus collector. They all have a place in history where as the Kel-Tec PF9 nobody gives a [censored] about except for it being small and cheap and will be completely forgotten a 100yrs from now. Also the idea of spending over 500 on one new pistol when I can get something like 5 mosin nagants is much better sounding to a guy like me.
Ive looked into getting a CZ52 for a while now and its getting hard to come buy. I love the design of that pistol and would really stand out next to the rest of the collection.

I would go for the CZ-82. I just got mine and its a pretty sharp looking pistol. And the fact that there are more options for newly manufacture ammo in 9x18

When the wife gets home, I'll get a couple better pics of the cz's.
Be aware, you can still get parts fo them, and the new us made firing pin is almost a must-have.

My first one had a worn chamber, so I got a new barrel for it as well.
The other I got from a gunshow. Black parkerizing, chrome barrel, and wood grips, for 200 bucks.

The ammo you really need to be a little concerned about is the machine gun stuff. I forget which designation it is.
The other thing is using the de-cocker. Some worn guns will let the hammer strike the firing pin while de-cocking. BAD MOJO.

091.jpg

090.jpg

118.jpg

117.jpg

Originally Posted By: yaris0128
I dont own any modern firearms and dont really plan on it. Unless a one time offer type of deal was to happen. I only like military weapons. Big surplus collector.

Then why not save a wee bit more for a nice 1911?

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I dont own any modern firearms and dont really plan on it. Unless a one time offer type of deal was to happen. I only like military weapons. Big surplus collector.

Or a rattly old remington rand.

Originally Posted By: Big_Kat
I would go for the CZ-82. I just got mine and its a pretty sharp looking pistol. And the fact that there are more options for newly manufacture ammo in 9x18
Where did you get yours? True. Other than surplus ammo its really hard to come by new 7.62x25

A. Everyone has a 1911.
B. .45 is pricey
C. I can get a new glock for a decent 1911
D. I dont care for american firearms
E. Im in love with soviet stuff or anything european for that matter

Any particular reason for that?

A. Everyone has a 1911.
B. .45 is pricey
C. I can get a new glock for a decent 1911
E. Im in love with soviet stuff or anything european for that matter

A. Not everyone - you don't
B. True!
C. Also True, but then again you can get just about any quality
modern firearm for approx. the same price..and very much
worth it.
D. Personal opinion and that's ok.
E. I love and collect military arms as well with the Russian
pieces being my favorite BUT I still keep a real reliable
modern firearms for their superior quality. reliability and
firepower. I sure hope you don't think a Makorov is a decent
personal protection piece. Just saying get yourself some
diversity in your collection.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: TurboLuver

Any particular reason for that?

It's a matter of taste, I'm sure. As for myself, there are certain varieties of guns that I would prefer made with an other-than-american philosophy. Your short range semi-auto/auto rifle, for instance, is a design I much prefer designed with the soviet or german philosophy. I'd jump over a pile of brand new ARs to get a used AK variant. I like American pistols and pump guns, but American doubles are simply not up to par with some of the european offerings. Also, while American bolt-actions are good, they don't define the genre like Mausers. I can see not liking American Arms, even though I like many kinds of them myself. It's not burning the flag or anything.

I wasn't insinuating that not liking American firearms was akin to burning the flag, that's fine if he doesn't care for American firearms. It's just a pretty big blanket statement and I was simply curious as to the reason. I think it must be deeper than simply taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back