Total Takata recall?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Total Takata Recall?

Quote:
Since 2008, 14 automakers have recalled 24 million vehicles to replace the inflators, which can rupture in a crash, shooting metal shards at the driver and passengers.

Experts say there could be as many as 50 million Takata air bag inflators in cars that have yet to be called back for repairs.

Takata says it and other suppliers can make up to 1.5 million replacement inflators per month, meaning up to 18 million a year. But some of those must go to other countries, where about 30 million more inflators are being recalled.

More info, different source, long timeline: Car and Driver's Takata page

Quote:
Experts say there could be as many as 50 million Takata air bag inflators in cars that have yet to be called back for repairs.

My 530i is one of them.
frown.gif

My Mustang is part of the recall. I just love it when the calls from customers get transferred to me and other Mustang owners are practically giving me death threats because parts are not available. I don't have a bleeping magic 8 ball that tells me when a company is going to make parts for a recall. I just tell them that I drive my car everyday.

I hate recalls, because unless I'm driving a Ford, Chrysler, or GM, or Toyota, Nissan, and a very few others, I have to drive 2 to 3 hours one way to get the service done.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Quote:

My 530i is one of them.
frown.gif

My 135i as well...

Does that mean we get a whole horn cover or do they remove the plastic cover and just replace the bag?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Quote:

My 530i is one of them.
frown.gif

My 135i as well...

Does that mean we get a whole horn cover or do they remove the plastic cover and just replace the bag?

They replace the ignitor so neither the cover nor the bag.

This is a driver's side ignitor from a RX-8. The Mazda 6, Ranger, Mustang, and Ford GT ones look identical. The passengers side ones look like a tube maybe 5" long. All the ones I have of those are sealed and waiting for Fedex Ground to pick up to go back. Mazda makes us babysit them until we have 200 old ones, then we can put them on a pallet and send them away.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Quote:

My 530i is one of them.
frown.gif

My 135i as well...

They replace the ignitor so neither the cover nor the bag.

This is a driver's side ignitor from a RX-8. The Mazda 6, Ranger, Mustang, and Ford GT ones look identical. The passengers side ones look like a tube maybe 5" long. All the ones I have of those are sealed and waiting for Fedex Ground to pick up to go back. Mazda makes us babysit them until we have 200 old ones, then we can put them on a pallet and send them away.

Would it just be cheaper to find an abandoned building or a empty field somewhere, rig all the recalled inflators to power and deploy all of them(provided you're far, far, far away from the inflators) to save on hazmat shipping?

Originally Posted By: nthach
Would it just be cheaper to find an abandoned building or a empty field somewhere, rig all the recalled inflators to power and deploy all of them(provided you're far, far, far away from the inflators) to save on hazmat shipping?

No out of pocket for us on the hazmat freight, all the Ford ones come with prepaid labels from Takata. They even come pre-signed so any issues in shipment are on them.

Wouldn't that be considered tampering with evidence?

Wouldn't that be considered tampering with evidence?

My guess is that random sampling will be done on parts by third party companies contracted by the DOT.

Last edited:
My 2007 Mustang GT has been recalled for the Takata hand grenade installed in the steering wheel. Has anyone heard when they will have the new design airbag available? Ford wants me to bring the car in and replace one bomb with another just like it. I feel like it is a waste of time to take the car in until the new design is ready.

The 14B09 parts are available. The 15S21 recall parts for Mustangs have no ETA. Those are the ones that somehow all the calls get transferred to me and I get yelled at by all the other Mustang owners.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Takata will file bankruptcy soon. Millions after millions recall is too much for any single company to handle.

That is a valid point. And if they go under, some government is going to have to prop them up to continue making all these new parts. So in the end, taxpayers will pay for this.

My Mustang is part of the recall. I just love it when the calls from customers get transferred to me and other Mustang owners are practically giving me death threats because parts are not available. I don't have a bleeping magic 8 ball that tells me when a company is going to make parts for a recall. I just tell them that I drive my car everyday.

Serious question: would my 2011 Crown Vic use a Takata airbag?

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

Serious question: would my 2011 Crown Vic use a Takata airbag?

Not sure. Ford does not like to disclose their suppliers to the dealer personnel without some serious teeth pulling. I would assume that since there has been no mention of Panther chassis cars in the Takata debacle, then most likely it does not.

The whole recall thing is a total cluster. People get a letter that lets them know there is a recall, but parts are not available and they will receive a letter when they can schedule an appointment. What do most people do? Immediately storm down to the dealer and demand we perform the recall while they wait. When you point out to them what the letter says they make a huge scene and call us incompetent and demand to speak to management.

I can't tell you how many calls I have received from Ford and Mazda corporate asking us why we don't have recall parts in stock. When I point out that either "well according to your letter parts are not available and the customer will be notified" or "per the wording in your recall, we are not allowed to stock the parts and a repair order must be opened in order to inspect the vehicle, and then we can order the parts" the reps usually come back with "so um why don't you stock them?" Makes me want to reach through the phone and slap some common sense into them.

Whomever it was that thought placing an explosive device just inches away from a drivers head ought to be strangled as well.

Airbags should disappear into automotive history, at least until the technology can be applied in a truly safe manner. That time is not here yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back