Total noob to bike engine oil....

Status
Not open for further replies.
My pops got a Roketa scooter. It calls for a 10w30 4-stroke oil. All he can find is 10w40 4-stroke oil but it is outrageous. I was wondering if anyone could recommend some oils that would work for his application?

Originally Posted By: badtlc
My pops got a Roketa scooter. It calls for a 10w30 4-stroke oil. All he can find is 10w40 4-stroke oil but it is outrageous. I was wondering if anyone could recommend some oils that would work for his application?

Here is a really great Scooter/small engine oil:

Amsoil ASE 10W-30

Contains no VII's.

Now badtlc, as much as you like RP, I'm surprised you asked this question.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Does RP make a bike engine oil? I wouldn't think it would be all that cheap if they did.

Originally Posted By: sunruh
any 10w30 will work.
all car engines are 4stroke.

Right, I understand that. But he was under the assumption that the bottle needed to say 4-stroke oil on it.

Any regular API certified 10w30 would work fine?

Scooter engines tend to run hot.
So any auto oil will work, even a 10W-40.
Chinese engines should have their oil changes
on schedule, if not sooner. They work hard.

We have a Roteka 50. We bought it last fall, and it is holding up well.

If it sits for awhile, twist the throttle "several" times, there is no choke or dedicated primer.

Right above the oil check/fill area, there should be a sticker on a black plastic cover. The sticker states, to use a 15w-40 oil, capacity is (.8) liter. The oil is supposed to be changed at the first 300 miles, and then at an 1000 mile oci afterwards. The oil filter, is a metal mesh screen (oil plug assembly). Gear oil is changed at 1000 miles.

The gas should be at least 90 octane. Don't run the bike over 25 mph, the first 300 miles. Just read the stickers on the bike. The manual is basically, an attempt at "comic relief".

The original fill was Repsol 10w-40. The bike and us, both like the Shell Rotella 15w-40 and 5w-40 synthetic, better than the Repsol. It is very easy, on the wallet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: warchildindy
We have a Roteka 50. We bought it last fall, and it is holding up well.

If it sits for awhile, twist the throttle "several" times, there is no choke or dedicated primer.

Right above the oil check/fill area, there should be a sticker on a black plastic cover. The sticker states, to use a 15w-40 oil, capacity is (.8) liter. The oil is supposed to be changed at the first 300 miles, and then at an 1000 mile oci afterwards. The oil filter, is a metal mesh screen (oil plug assembly). Gear oil is changed at 1000 miles.

The gas should be at least 90 octane. Don't run the bike over 25 mph, the first 300 miles. Just read the stickers on the bike. The manual is basically, an attempt at "comic relief".

The original fill was Repsol 10w-40. The bike and us, both like the Shell Rotella 15w-40 and 5w-40 synthetic, better than the Repsol. It is very easy, on the wallet.

Yours must be different. This one specifically says 10w30 and .9 Liters. It has the same break-in and OCI recommendations as yours. It also specifically states use 87 octane only. I dont know if it matters, but this one is a 250cc engine.

Quote:
The manual is basically, an attempt at "comic relief".

I remember my first Honda's (a 1965 model, if memory holds) Owner's Manual. Some of the Engrish was hilarious. "attempt to installing cycle onto centerstand before begins chain adjusting.." and such. The Japanese manuals are excellent now; I guess it'll take a while 'til the Chinese catch up.
grin2.gif

So I'm just gonna go with 10w30 trop artic. Any concerns?

I'm assuming it has seperate engine and transmission sumps and a Centrifugal clutch ? If so that would be perfectly fine.

If shared like a motorcycle you could use Shell Rotella 10W30...It has the same additive formulation as the 15W40 version but it's just a lighter weight and is one of the few non energy concerving 10W30 oils around..

I would use a higher additive oil. Not bad mouthing Trop Artic at all, but at least contact the mfr and see if an API SM auto engine oil is OK.

Originally Posted By: whitesands

I'm assuming it has seperate engine and transmission sumps and a Centrifugal clutch ? If so that would be perfectly fine.

If shared like a motorcycle you could use Shell Rotella 10W30...It has the same additive formulation as the 15W40 version but it's just a lighter weight and is one of the few non energy concerving 10W30 oils around..

I'm not exactly sure. I know pops said he would also have to change the "gear oil". I would assume in that case it is separate?

Originally Posted By: Pablo

I would use a higher additive oil. Not bad mouthing Trop Artic at all, but at least contact the mfr and see if an API SM auto engine oil is OK.

He has contacted the manufacturer. They didn't really say anything in English.

He has contacted the manufacturer. They didn't really say anything in English.

I guess in the new world order that means "OK"!!
grin2.gif

I would use a higher additive oil.

+1 Me too. Especially with that giant sump.

Pablo, I'll talk him into the amsoil one you recommended. Do you have a good price quote for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back