Email to oil tech department about JASO rating and their response.

Thought you guys may be interested and suspect that you prob already know the answers answer, but I sent the following email to the tech department at an Aussie oil manufacturer (Penrite):

———————-
Dear Tech Department,

I hope this email finds you well. As a long-time user of Penrite oils, I would like to reach out and seek your insights on a few technical questions regarding 2-stroke oils. Your expertise in the field would be greatly appreciated.

1. When a manufactorer recommends a JASO FD oil for a machine like a motorbike (assuming pre-mix instead of injection), does the FD rating primarily focus on smoke reduction rather than lubrication? From my understanding, even your tech guide (attached - page 23) suggests that lubrication properties appear to be similar, with the additives primarily aimed at reducing smoke emissions to meet environmental standards. In theory, would a JASO FB oil, such as those used by greenkeepers, work as a suitable lubricant for a 2-stroke trail bike?
  2. Considering that blowers, chainsaws, brush cutters, etc., which typically use JASO FB oil, tend to rev at least as hard, if not harder, than a 2-stroke bike ridden by an average weekend rider in off-road conditions, would the lubrication requirements be similar?
  3. If a motorbike recommends JASO FD oil, would the choice between mineral-based or full synthetic oil (assuming both meet the JASO FD specification) make a significant difference in terms of engine wear?
Apologies for the barrage of questions, but as an enthusiast of 2-stroke engines, I find myself in frequent debates regarding the best oil choices and whether some options are merely marketing tactics. While I acknowledge the excellence of the MC-2st Full synthetic oil, which I have used without issue, I am curious if functionally, in terms of engine wear, both full synthetic and greenkeepers' oil would perform similarly.”

——————

This is the response I got today:

The best I can offer is a summary of the test criteria used to rate 2 stroke motor cycle oils, made available from industry and online sources.

From these you can infer answers to your questions. Please see below image :

See also: https://www.mototribology.com/articles/jaso-explained-part-2-2-stroke .

Thanks for your interest in Penrite.

Attachments

• image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 124
As for lubricity issues, there are minor differences among brands and types. When racing highly modified SeaDoo's years ago, often with moly filled rings, the exhaust side of the piston rings would wear rather rapidly. We searched for an oil that would reduce the rate of wear, with only minor differences. We even tried old school "Golden Spectro" which was a smokey mess and provided the fastest ring wear. Redline Racing oil was also problematic, due to corrosion. In the end, the FC oils like Castrol TT-S and others provided the best balance between avoiding ring sticking and hot side ring wear.

What made the most difference was oil ratio. More oil was better.

In our 2 stroke outboard engine testing, oil ratio was the key factor in wear. 50 to 1 resulted in slightly more wear than 32 to 1, and anything above 50 to 1 resulted in obviously rapid wear rates. 8 to 1 made the most power, but was difficult to deal with, even with super high powered ignition system and surface gap plugs. So we settled on 16 to 1 for our 150HP race prepped engines, which made well over that...

Today, I still have about a gallon of Mobil 1 Racing 2t oil. Seems like it worked well in just about everything. Castrol TT-S was equivalent but smelled much worse.

I'm stil running modded seadoos I just god rid of a Mel Miller 787 phase 1 motor that was in my xp . I was running mystic 40-1 . I also have a Yamaha 90hp 2 stroke running 50-1 Pennzoil xlf should add more oil ?

Back