Toro Personal Pace Self Propelled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a Toro SuperRecycler pert near a year ago.

Used it all last summer.

Grabbed the one with the Briggs and Stratton engine.

Forget the model number but it was the mid-priced model with other models costing less and more.

Starts easily and cuts well. Bagger works real good and it does mulch well but, as with most consumer-style mulchers if you let the grass get too high or if it's wet the mulcing doesn't work as well.

The "personal pace" aspect is, to me, nifty keen. Akin to a constantly-variable tranny the mower basically goes as fast as you push the handle.

I have read of others complaining of how long it took to get used to the system.

Bwa hah hah hah hah hah!!!!!!!!

Just observe automobubble drivers attempting to manipulate their machine down the highway..... there's a certain percentage of folks who liely have trouble putting some bread in a toaster!!!!

I like the personal pace feature and had NO trouble in ANY way making the mower go from the moment I yanked the starting cord for the firstest time.

For a plethora of opinons or to ask questions there is a forum for consumer-level mowers. A handy place to debate mowers or find answers to questions.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/lmower/

There is a search function to find previous posting regarding Toro mowers and the personal pace system.

Just be aware that some of the responses are from folks that are extremely loyal to one brand and tend to ridicule other brands.

Something to be aware of, unless Toro changed their policy, I paid more for the SuperRecycler and bought from a mower/small engine shop vice a retailer such as Home Depot since the version I bought is not available at the mass retailers.... my version comes with a 5-year top-to-bottom warranty... 100% coverage. The cost is "hidden" within the price of the mower but I don't mind paying a little more for quality and peace of mind..... for 5 years anyway.

I would buy from a small engine dealer too. H/D and the other big box stores don't have the service the little guy has. Besides, have heard too much negative business practices about H/D, Wal-Mart and the others (esp. how they pay and treat their employees).

I've had the Personal Pace 6.0 hp Briggs & Stratton powered aluminum deck mower for about 5 years now. I purchased mine from a Toro dealer. Mine has stood up well, I do a lot of mowing along my fence lines that I can't get to with the tractor. I am not partial to Tecumseh engines though as shown in the link you posted. I would recommend spending a few dollars more and purchase from a Toro dealer. Toro has a nice parts lookup section on their website, though their parts can be expensive. I have found also, that using genuine Toro parts is generally a good idea.

doubleclutch: Can you tell me a little more about the Personal Pace power drive feature and if you like it?

Sorry I didn't see your question sooner... The drive system is just a push on the handle and it moves out. However, it is not easy to get it to release all the way when you need to back up. When you release the handle to stop your forward movement, and pull the mower backward, sometimes there is a resistance like the drive has not fully released. That was the first thing the dealer demonstrated, so it is inherent in the model. Maybe they have found a remedy to this by now. I just last season replaced the drive belt so I think that the failure to release is nothing but a bother to the operator.

I had a self-propelled Toro PP mower for 5 years. It was one of the best mowers to use I've ever owned. Loved the Personal Pace feature. But, the rest of the mower was pretty crappy. Rear bag tough to get on/off easily. Engine smoked badly after just 2 years, and the PP wire guide eventually wore out. Carburator needed cleaning every 2 years. Won't buy another one.

I have the personal pace lawnboy and what you need to do to back up is com to a stop and barely push forward to release the clutch and then pull backwards, you will get no resistance then. It will take a while to get used to it, but you have to push forward just a little to release it, then it is easy to pull backwards.

I just found a Lawnboy Gold pro left over
smile.gif
. I think it has the same drive setup as the toro. I like it so far.
If you let go a bit ahead of where you want to stop, it backs up without pushing it forward. Takes some getting used to. Of course this can be a problem mowing in tight areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back