"Top Tier" misleading

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see a bunch of you lumping together all "top tier" gas together.

But as far as I understand ONLY Chevron/Texaco uses the best detergent PEA.

Last edited:
Maybe Chevron is the best, I don't know. But top tier is what it is... top tier gas. So it makes sense to lump it all together, just like the organization does. It's a standard they all meet and if anyone wants to go higher they can have at it. They don't have top tier A and top tier B if you get what I'm saying.

But I would certainly agree with SLCraig, in cars used regularly it doesn't seem to matter much. My OPE I have to dose on the side no matter what I use (with Techron quite often, actually).

Anyway, it doesn't seem misleading to me at all, if you meet a standard for top tier gas you're then selling top tier gas. Doesn't matter if Chevron gas is unicorn [censored] filtered through gold dust... the other products still pass the "top tier" standard without.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bepperb
Maybe Chevron is the best, I don't know.

Chevron has to be the best, logically speaking.

It has PEA.

Originally Posted By: alwayson

It has PEA.

That's not covered by patent anymore. Anyone can have that. You can buy that at walmart.

It has PEA.

That's not covered by patent anymore. Anyone can have that. You can buy that at walmart.

and your point is?

Chevron/Texaco is still the only gas that has PEA.

Picking fly s--t out of pepper,
33.gif

It has PEA.

So you mean, all I have to do is urinate in my tank at each fill up?

unless Shell's "nitrogen" is really PEA

Can anyone shed some light?

When Shell started its Nitrogen ad's Chevron's response was nitrogen is not a new additive in detergent gasoline. Chevron, for example, already sells the “nitrogen-enriched Techron additive” to “help keep vital engine parts cleaner than lower-quality competitors” for “a cleaner and happier car.”

Old Sarge said once or maybe twice, most gas is shlmnot so to speak. Thats why he was so big on tcw3 2cycleoil to clean out what he called the ringpacks and so on. The tcw3 does work IMHO and so as far as top tier gas goes, we all spend our money as we want to.

Uh Oh, now we're here:

I see a bunch of you lumping together all "top tier" gas together.

But as far as I understand ONLY Shell uses the best detergent Nitrogen.

The truth be told all the major gas blenders have their own proprietary additives added to their gas. The way I look at it
your motor may benefit in different ways from different mixes, so you may be benefitted from switching around from Shell to Chevron to BP to XOM, etc.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
But Shell is Nitrogen enriched.

What do you think makes an amine an amine??????? As in peA?

Kwik Trip is Top Tier gas in regular and plus. When I'm in WI I always get their premium 91 octane with no ethanol. Get about 2 mpg better. I think Top Tier has to have at least 10% ethanol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back