Any benefit to one top tier gas over another?

The top tier gas stations I have access to are 76, Chevron, and Sinclair. The local Chevron stations don't have the top tier sticker on the pumps, but are listed as top tier on the top tier website.

I have BP & Shell around and tbh can't feel any difference... Each brand may have different detergent concentration but that's about it.

I use Chevron because my vehicles run well on it.

Chevron uses PEA as one of their cleaning agents. Not all do. It’s either run Chevron gas all the time, or use a PEA additive periodically (I do the latter). Sinclair and 76 *might* do it, but if so then they would advertise it like Chevron does, I would suspect (“techron”).

So yes, there is a reason to care. Among those choices I would use Chevron, no question.

I buy mostly Shell regular for my Lexus, as it is usually the cheapest available with my Fuel Rewards 10 cent a gallon discount.

I buy mostly Exxon/Mobil Supreme for my Corvette, because a Mobil station in my area sells Mobil 93 octane for 40 cents a gallon less than any other station selling 93 within 50 miles of here.

But honestly, in terms of performance, I don't notice any difference between brands of gasoline.

I use Costco, Mobil, Shell and Chevron. Occasionally when I'm at an Indian reservation I get gas there because gas is much cheaper at reservations due to taxation in California.

I would probably use Chevron if the price is right. I've seen very few around here but I like their Techron fuel system cleaner and they put small concentrations in their gasoline.

The lone vehicle I have that takes regular 87 gets filled up at the cheapest, most convenient station. Usually that is the Valero station a quarter mile from my house which checks both boxes and is also "top-tier".

My Pacifica specs 89 octane and my two other vehicles are "91+ octane for maximum performance". Sadly the Valero station down the road jumps $0.60-0.80 for midgrade and often $1.40 extra for 93 octane above their 87 price.

I have a few gas stations I take those to depending where I'm at when I need to fill up. It's usually a Marathon gas station (also top-tier?) that is about halfway to work, which only charges $0.40 extra for midgrade / $0.80 for 93 premium. Sometimes they're only $0.30 / $0.60 extra.

I use quick trip gas just because there's a QT on the main route to the city and it costs the same as everything else around here. There's no difference in how my car runs if I use top tier or gas from the single pump in the ghetto (cheapest gas I've ever seen)

Use whichever one your vehicles run best on. My 4 cylinder vehicles tend to "like" Citgo, Valero, Exxon/Mobil and Marathon the best. However, sometimes this may vary by season. I notice lots more engine vibration and occassional stumbles when the the fuel isn't an optimal one for the vehicle.

My V8 vehicles also have some slight sensitivities, but not enough for me to care enough to go out of my way to get specific gas the same way I do for my 4 cylinder vehicles.

Branded fuels are typically top tier. My GMC truck spark knocks (bad) on Sheets 87 octane but runs fine on Shell, 76, and Amoco.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
We put 91 in our 3 cars up here in Colorado and have never noticed or calculated a difference between fuel brands. We take advantage of kroger points on fuel for 1-2 fill-ups a month and the others are from a variety of stations.

I can't speak to the additives, but I did an octane study about 4yrs ago, and the best 93 octane was purchased from Mobil/Exxon stations with Synergy+.

My study involved datalogging knock and spark retard over a preset course and drive pattern, and Synergy+ 93 octane increased spark and reduced knock substantially more than any other local gas station, to include Chevron and Shell. The study was intended to examine the efficacy of various octane booster additives, with control runs (simulated 1/4th mile drag runs) being utilized before treatment, then sample runs after treatment. The Synergy+ was so good on the control run, it skewed the results on the sample run.

I haven't noticed a difference, but most of what I have is Mobil here at 93. Kwik Trip has 91 ethanol free and I see slightly higher fuel economy on ethanol free 91, but 93 feels a bit stronger. That last part is obviously not scientific.

Back