Top oil choices for 2009 Honda Accord 2.4 w/50k?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd ve a 2009 Honda Accord 2.4 LX I bought used with 35k. I just had the dealer change the oil and filter as I got 3 free oil changes.

I drive in the suburbs of Hampton Roads VA. I'd say 50/50 hwy/city driving. I just moved and my commute to work just about doubled. So, my mileage will go up. I'd guess I'll do 15k+/yr.

I would like to drive this car to the ground.

What are some top oil and filter picks for spring and summer? I was thinking Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 and PureOne filter.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Dean

Good choice. Oil wise, the K24 loves every and anything in the correct grade. Heck, it even likes XW-30.

Originally Posted By: Dean407
I'd ve a 2009 Honda Accord 2.4 LX I bought used with 35k. I just had the dealer change the oil and filter as I got 3 free oil changes.

I drive in the suburbs of Hampton Roads VA. I'd say 50/50 hwy/city driving. I just moved and my commute to work just about doubled. So, my mileage will go up. I'd guess I'll do 15k+/yr.

I would like to drive this car to the ground.

What are some top oil and filter picks for spring and summer? I was thinking Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 and PureOne filter.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Dean

Yes, use the Purolator Classic. No need for the PueOne

Pennzoil Platinum / Ultra would work. Take the freebies first then just use quality syn-blend or better yet full synthetic and rest with ease.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
PP 0/5W20 with a Honda filter. I change it every six months, between 9-10K.

This....except I use a PureOne filter.

0w20 TGMO/MGMO with MOLY and Honda A02/Denso. If you can get the MGMO(Mazda) try it, you won't regret it.
The car is back specced for 0w20 and TGMO/MGMO is what I'd suggest for maximum efficiency and protection.
For further info check out the VOA/UOA section for specs and important differences between the oils.
Congrats on the car!!!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rockydee
Mobil 1 0W20 is pretty tough to beat, easy to get too @ least for me.

+1. I have found M1 0-20 to be outstanding in both Duratech engines.

TGMO or MGMO 0w-20 and a Fram Ultra. Run the Ultra for two changes if you are following the OLM. That is what I'm going to start doing with the Odyssey once I'm done with the Honda A02 filters I have left.

With the recent Purolator tears I would hold off on using them until there has been some kind of resolution. Not bashing them, just saying it is something to think about.

I have the same exact car.

The K24 doesn't mind 30 weights. Plus, if you are going to run 9-11k OCI's, I'm betting a 20 weight will be a 10 weight the last 3-5k miles.

It's my opinion to always start on the slightly thick side, and shear into grade, rather than start in grade, and run the oil too long when it' too thin.

Therefore, the last 12k miles (since I've owned the car), I run a mix of 2.8 quarts of M1 0w20AFE and 1.4 quarts of M1 0w40. This give me a good 30 weight oil with good start up flow.

I could also run M1 0w30 AFE as well and not have to bother with the mixing.

I don't be putting any finished 20 weight oil into my Honda. Unless it's mixed with something a bit thicker.

I also run Napa Gold and Napa Platinum filters.

Originally Posted By: Phishin

The K24 doesn't mind 30 weights. Plus, if you are going to run 9-11k OCI's, I'm betting a 20 weight will be a 10 weight the last 3-5k miles.

It's my opinion to always start on the slightly thick side, and shear into grade, rather than start in grade, and run the oil too long when it' too thin.

Therefore, the last 12k miles (since I've owned the car), I run a mix of 2.8 quarts of M1 0w20AFE and 1.4 quarts of M1 0w40. This give me a good 30 weight oil with good start up flow.

I don't be putting any finished 20 weight oil into my Honda. Unless it's mixed with something a bit thicker.

You said the you are betting that 20wt oils will be a 10wt the last 3-5K of a OCI. Have your seem that are is this your opinion? Actually 20wt oils appear the hold their vis very well. I have never seen any evidence of this kind of shearing with the 20 wt I use, and haven't seen that with others as well. please explain.

Last edited:
Plus, if you are going to run 9-11k OCI's, I'm betting a 20 weight will be a 10 weight the last 3-5k miles.

You would lose that bet.

Originally Posted By: tig1

You said the you are betting that 20wt oils will be a 10wt the last 3-5K of a OCI. Have your seem that are is this your opinion? Actually 20wt oils appear the hold their vis very well. I have never seen any evidence of this kind of shearing with the 20 wt I use, and haven't seen that with others as well. please explain.

welcome2.gif

I agree. I have only ever used 20wt oils in my '04 Accord and am nearing 130,000 flawless miles. According to the uoa's I've done between 7-8k miles the oil has been above or nearly at 8cst (100 degrees) in every one. In my application and with my driving, the 20wt does not appear to shear much:

UOA's

To the OP: My car has seen mostly Sopus products since 40k (up to 40k it was Kendall gt1 5w-20 at a service station), PP, PYB (pennzoil yellow bottle), Shell, and Ultra. I did try Honda 0w-20 sm for a few changes, did not like it, and have since gone back to Sopus. Oil filter of choice has been a Pureone.

This said I'm convinced now that my car would be running equally well on any name brand conventional, semi-syn, or synthetic in the recommended grade. Likewise, any name brand filter in the appropriate size would have performed fine. The UOA's I've seen on this engine seem to confirm that:

A) The K24 is easy on oil and will run well on virtually anything if properly maintained.

B) The K24 will outlive the rest of the car, which can be said for most engines today, if properly maintained.

Question: what is your planned OCI? Are you going by the maintenance minder?

Welcome to BITOG. Your oil choice is fine. Tidewater does have some decent oil distributors in Chesapeake and Suffolk, if you want to move away from the mainstream oils from the auto and discount stores. If you're going to order at least 5-6 oil filters, I find the best quality filter choices and pricing comes from Rock Auto and www.oscaro.com. The Honda A02 and some others--not so much.

Your 2009 Accord uses the same oil filter as my 2007 Ridgeline. Here's an oil filter list to save you some homework. Right now, www.oscaro.com has a 20% off sale on Beck Arnley oil filters, which usually are repackaged filters manufactured by companies like Denso, Full, KFM, Nippon, Toyo Roki and Union Sangyo. Give them a look. Oscaro has $4.99 flat rate shipping and free shipping if your order exceeds $65. If you want to buy Asian made filters in person, Bap-Geon has stores in Norfolk and VA Beach.

Oil filters for 2007 Honda Ridgeline

Baldwin B1402
Beck Arnley 041-8135
Bosch 3323
Carquest 85356
Denso 150-1009
Hastings LF240
Honda 15400-PLM-A01A OEM
Mahle OC707
Mann ML1008
Motorcraft FL-822
NAPA Gold 7356
Purolator Pure One PL14610
Union Sangyo C-562
Wix 57356

Wow. Lots more responses since I last checked.

I got a 5qt jug of Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 for $26 @ Walmart. Got a PureOne filter at AdvancedAuto for $6

I'm going to get a well regarded shop to do the oil change and basic transmission fluid change Wednesday.

I'll ask them to save me a some of the old oil so I can send in to Blackstone labs. More just for curiosity then anything else. It'll be interesting to see the difference between the "Honda" oil and Pennzoil.

I think I'll change my oil more frequently then the maintenance minder suggests. Probably wasting money, but relatively cheap insurance over the long haul. I'll probably do an oil and filter change every 4mos or 5000mi whichever comes first. Actually, in reality I'll probably end up changing the oil/filter every 3mos...essentially the switch to each new weather season. No particular reason other then it's psychologically satisfying.
smile.gif

I wish I could find an English icon on that Oscaro website. I may not order anything, but it does look like a nice site. My French, particularly with automotive terms, might result in some pretty big order SNAFUs.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back