Tools that that you thought were stupid to buy when you bought them and now can’t live without.

What did you end up buying based on the posts here?
OK, not all that many but just on the 2nd half of Page 3 I have the Shake 'N Break and center punch in my Amazon wish list to buy later.

I also recently put some tiny gearless ratchets on the list, but I guess I picked those up from a different thread here.

Now that looks interesting.

Last year I tried to up my center punch game by ordering 3 Tekton spring punches from Amazon. Unfortunately a Chinese vendor had hijacked Tekton's buybox and I got 3 non-Tekton punches direct from China. Maybe the same thing but no lifetime warranty. It took me almost 2 months to get my money back.

That looks like the real deal.
Yes they are the real deal, made in USA and the point stays sharp. Cant beat the price either.

I kept meaning to open this thread and just did today. I think I will buy that center punch tool. Also, I really need to buy the Mubea clip tool (for spring hose clamps/Mubea clips) Trav showed, also. I always change out screw-clamps for these when I service something; they are so superior. I keep fumbling along with long-handled pliers, but really do need one of these.

Speaking of, I know it was mentioned right near the top, but 11" long handled pliers are a must. I finally got a set several years ago, and now they are probably the most used tool in the boxes/cabinet. At this price, you can't say "no.":

I have those pliers. I don't use them often, only when needed. They are cheap and useful but uncomfortable and tight.
I have the double-x versions, two from NAPA and 3 from Gearwrench- straight, bent, and 3 sizes of hose ring ends. They were not cheap, useful, comfortable, and not so tight in tight spots. I didn't list them because I didn't think they were stupid when I bought them. I knew they would pull me out of jams, and they have.

Every man should own a 3 lb sledge hammer.Enough impact to break things loose once rather than 35 weak impacts with a lesser weight tool.
I have to agree with this one! I bought a 3 lb years ago to assist with interior wall demolition and have since used it for many projects...driving small fence posts, aligning boards, breaking nuts (before I bought an impact), driving spikes, removing bricks, etc.

I kept meaning to open this thread and just did today. I think I will buy that center punch tool. Also, I really need to buy the Mubea clip tool (for spring hose clamps/Mubea clips) Trav showed, also. I always change out screw-clamps for these when I service something; they are so superior. I keep fumbling along with long-handled pliers, but really do need one of these.

Speaking of, I know it was mentioned right near the top, but 11" long handled pliers are a must. I finally got a set several years ago, and now they are probably the most used tool in the boxes/cabinet. At this price, you can't say "no.":

I’ve got those same pairs I bent the jaws of the bent ones on a pinch style hose clamp I was a little bit angry but still useful at times.

Heres another one: Good pair of hemostats, invaluable for fine work and awesome for small soldering tasks. Speaking of soldering, the Blue 35 watt Weller soldering guns last a long time , heat up well and are plentiful.

I felt compelled to post here again after my recent buy.

My wife wanted a small leaf blower to keep near the patio so she doesn't have to get the gas blower for small jobs like the picnic table, chairs, etc. So we picked up the tiny Ryobi 18v P755 (tool only) given that I already have plenty of batteries for it. At first I thought it's usefulness would be limited to the patio, but it has a lot of power for it's size. I therefore relocated it to the garage where I use it to clear the garage floor, blow leaves off the card, and blow dust off saws, etc. before putting them away. I'm sure my "reclaiming" of the blower will result in some type of argument, so I will probably have to buy another one in the near future...

Ratcheting serpentine belt. Bought it to remove a serpentine belt that didn't have room for a regular ratchet and thought that I would hardly ever use it. But it came with a bunch of sockets. It's absolutely great for hard to reach confined spaces.

https://www.lislecorp.com/specialty-tools/ratcheting-serpentine-belt-tool

59000_AABAD66D1A235.jpg
I have this same one and love it.

I have this same one and love it.
I could see that being useful. I have the first generation of the tool which has come in handy a number of times. This looks like it might be worth adding to my toolbox.

Reactions: wtd
I bought a 3/8" breaker bar on clearance and thought I would never use it. However this tool is perfect for loosening the pin bolts on brake calipers, where the bolt is too tight for a ratchet, a 1/2 breaker is too long to fit under the fender, and an impact won't fit behind the caliper.

Still have my Craftsman 3/8 breaker bar from 11years old.Great tool to have at hand.Another suggestion: old terry cloth towels, washrags,dish towels.Nothing absorbs oil like terrycloth.

Back