Tools that that you thought were stupid to buy when you bought them and now can’t live without.

Estwing drilling hammer or the Wilton 2lb version. Works for precision beating better than you would think. They have become my go to hammers.

Extra long 1/4 inch drive Snapon flex head ratchet. Thought it was stupid when the snapon man walked in with it. My dad bought one on the spot, thought he was foolish for buying it. After I found it was spending more time on my side of the shop than his I bought 2 of my own

I kinda thought the same the first time I saw them, "I'll break that for sure!!". Bought my flex head awhile back & liked it so much I bought a non-flex today. Put it straight to work pulling a PS pulley on a Ford Vulcan Taurus. I know Tim & Trav know what kind of torque it takes to get these pulleys moving, But for others.....It's Quite impressive for a 1/4" drive ratchet!!!!

lLGrch5.jpg

a7DmMxB.jpg

I kinda thought the same the first time I saw them, "I'll break that for sure!!". Bought my flex head awhile back & liked it so much I bought a non-flex today. Put it straight to work pulling a PS pulley on a Ford Vulcan Taurus. I know Tim & Trav know what kind of torque it takes to get these pulleys moving, But for others.....It's Quite impressive for a 1/4" drive ratchet!!!!

lLGrch5.jpg

a7DmMxB.jpg
yup, I did the same thing and have used it for the same job. The flex head is a life saver trying to get to the fill/check plug on chrysler 8 and 9 speed FWD transmissions. I think its a 6mm stubby allen socket on the plug

My stubby 3/8 flex head ratchet.

Never had an actual use for it until last week when working on the front diff of my truck.

I purchased a setvof wrenches just like in the post above that uncledsve has they are a lifesaver. I had a $75 snap on giftcard and purchased a scan/reset tool and a bolt extractor set which has come in handy.

I bought a huge pair of Channel locks for those springy hose clamp pliers. Never had such a huge pair.

Astro Pneumatic makes spring clamp pliers. The holding mechanism is on a cable so you can get it just about anywhere.

Best of all, no more rogue clamps flying through the air.

I bought the one from Astro because the cable broke on the other one and Amazon could deliver it the next day, it has a thicker cable than the bigger brand name and is a decent and solid tool, a good buy at less than half the price of the brand name.
Many Euro cars use flat ear spring clamps in tight spaces. They are a necessary evil as pliers type and screwdrivers are not getting in there, these clamps are made with this type of tool in mind.

lLGrch5.jpg

a7DmMxB.jpg

The long 1/4 drives from Snap on are nice tools and very useful, I have TLL72 and TLLF72 which is probably the same as yours. The vast majority of stuff I work on uses fasteners in all sorts of really tight places a normal 3/8 while working is not very comfortable so 1/4 and small head 3/8 is the only way to go for many jobs eg water pump on the ecotec (both the iron and aluminum block ones are a PITA). They make life so much easier and they hold up to hard use.

I bought a huge pair of Channel locks for those springy hose clamp pliers. Never had such a huge pair.
My pliers drawer 3 years ago. Guess which one is the Channel Lock 460. It has gotten me out of a few jams. I got it cheap at a yard sale, locked up with weld splatter. After futzing with it some, I got serious with some files and now it works great.
pliers_15k_3883.jpg

Lately they came out with the even bigger 480. I would need another drawer. I have managed to wedge in a set of 3 Knipex PliersWrenches, my other nominees for this thread.

Compare that conventional design to this stubby:

I have both (Snap on CT761 & Milwaukee stubby 3/8")......The Milwaukee is shorter but a lot fatter, It also has more power than the CT761.
The CT761 has a rocker switch trigger which I like alot.

If I had to choose between the two....I'd take the CT761

I would say the garden cart my mother-in-law gave me was one the most surprisingly useful tools. I only took it cause I didn't want to turn her down and hurt her feelings, but I find myself using it way more than I ever thought. I schlep tools and gear around the place with it quite a lot.

Honestly I found another one I love it’s my battery powered grease gun I thought it was going to be severely underpowered or not work too good but I was wrong it works great. Much easier on your hands too not having to hold down that metal lever. I do miss my manual grease gun though even though it would always get clogged up but it served me well. It got ran over by a truck so I want to buy another manual one to have for backup in case the batteries go dead in the others or something.

These inexpensive small tools have proven their worth time and time again, I bought these on a whim and found them invaluable.
Cleaning corroded terminal is a PITA these get them clean in a few seconds, I got the flat and rounds with Deoxit.

Center punching broken bolts accurately is critical to successfully drilling through them straight, this works better than any other I have tried.
This makes a mark as deep or deeper than hitting a punch with a hammer, flatten the broken bolt with a dremel, grinder, etc, hold the punch in the middle and snap the spring.

Headlamp. I can't seem to do anything anymore without one. Must be getting old...

I recently did made some walls in the basement for some offices, and a 1/4" impact driver putting in construction screws... wow, that makes easy work of framing. I guess that is 50% tool, 50% fastener, but it was 100% easier.

This right here. I'm nowhere near an old timer but I remember using one of those **** trouble lights working on my car after dark as a young man... Then I started using this (very nice) single AA powered headlamp and it revolutionized my repair jobs. Darkness was no longer a big deal. These days I grab my 18650 powered headlamp (Armytek Wizard Pro XHP50 warm) and working after dark simply does not matter. Plus its great doing various household repairs as well.

A good headlamp (Armytek, Fenix, Zebralight, etc) isn't cheap but its a worthwile investment!

I have both (Snap on CT761 & Milwaukee stubby 3/8")......The Milwaukee is shorter but a lot fatter, It also has more power than the CT761.
The CT761 has a rocker switch trigger which I like alot.

If I had to choose between the two....I'd take the CT761
I like my 761 so much I just bought a second one today. Have one for zipping on wheel bolts and light mech work, the second lives with my alignment tools.

Center punching broken bolts accurately is critical to successfully drilling through them straight, this works better than any other I have tried.
This makes a mark as deep or deeper than hitting a punch with a hammer, flatten the broken bolt with a dremel, grinder, etc, hold the punch in the middle and snap the spring.

Now that looks interesting.

Last year I tried to up my center punch game by ordering 3 Tekton spring punches from Amazon. Unfortunately a Chinese vendor had hijacked Tekton's buybox and I got 3 non-Tekton punches direct from China. Maybe the same thing but no lifetime warranty. It took me almost 2 months to get my money back.

That looks like the real deal.

Back