Harbor Freight Tools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Errtt
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Their multimeters are the real thing. The tech hasn't changed much so I'm sure there's a "single chip solution".

I got a few at $2.99. They run great on half-dead 9v batteries; I bet they only use 5v internally anyway. So every year when my smoke alarm gets changed out the old batteries go to the HF meters. I spliced the leads from one onto a 120v plug so I can monitor line voltage, handy with a surgy generator.

I just can't see how they can do it for that price - I guess next time I'll pick up a couple and toss one in each motorcycle saddle bag. I guess that's better than no meter at all when on a bike riding out of town around the Sierra mountains in case I get an electrical gremlin - or to help out anyone else on the side of the road. Never know, and if it actually works and I'm able to get voltage checks troubleshooting, then I guess that would be worth it. No matter, I always carry a cell and have my emergency road service on insurance - but have been up in the hills where cell service was weak or nonexistent.

Watch your Sunday paper. Sometimes we get free flashlights. Sometimes its free leather gloves with a $20 purchase or Free digital multimeter with any purchase.

I have plenty of HF tools, but they are all seldom used things for me. Jack/stands/wrenches and socket sets are all Craftsman, but I've been eyeing that 1/2" breaker bar.

The 1/2" breaker bar is actually a nice tool, well worth it IMO. I'm actually thinking of getting another one to keep in my van in the event of a flat tire. It is easier than the 18" breaker bar I have in there now for changing flat tires.

I bought their 1/2 ratchet breaker because it looked decent.It has quickly become my go to bar,so far so good with some pretty brutal abuse.

I have used the breaker bar twice now. In a way I'm impressed for the cost. Time will tell, but can't say anything bad about if for the cost.
Will nab a multimeter or 2 for the bikes & try them too. Hope to do a HF run this weekend.

Which half inch bar are you guys getting or does it even matter?

There are two, I think like 17" and 24" ballpark.

The 17" should be more manueverable but cant torque (moment)that much better than a ratchet.

I think I'll try the longer bar. I'm tired of using a ratchet to break my 90-100lb-ft lugs and kind of paining my palm when they are stubborn.

I think the 1/2"dr. HF breaker I got is 25-1/2" long, & was $11.99
I'm going consider getting another one.

Originally Posted By: Errtt
I think the 1/2"dr. HF breaker I got is 25-1/2" long, & was $11.99
I'm going consider getting another one.

It is 25 1/2" long come to think about it. It is a nice tool, I'm honestly thinking of buying 3 more of them to keep one in each of my vehicles.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Which half inch bar are you guys getting or does it even matter?

There are two, I think like 17" and 24" ballpark.

The 17" should be more manueverable but cant torque (moment)that much better than a ratchet.

I think I'll try the longer bar. I'm tired of using a ratchet to break my 90-100lb-ft lugs and kind of paining my palm when they are stubborn.

I use all of the various lengths of HF breaker bars ... and always the 1/2" drives for heavy duty use and always with a 6 pt socket. The shorter one is good when space is a premium; and then HF sells an 18" ratcheting breaker bar, which should help when it's otherwise difficult to fit a 6 pt socket over a fastener due to space constraints.

Breaker_Bar.jpg

IMG_4780.jpg

Last edited:
I'll have to look into that 18" ratcheting breaker - cool stuff.

I just checked HF site online - "most stores open Thanksgiving 8-3. I might have to take a motorcycle ride.... for the 3rd time today. Don't want to get in the way while the wife is so busy in the kitchen, so it's between the games and motorcycles. But then I have to do the honor when it's time for the deep fryer. Oh, game over so I'm out and about so I can catch the next on return. I'll look for that ratcheting 18" breaker.

Last edited:
I made it with an hour to spare for the Thanksgiving sale and the 25% off coupons. Bought the big workbench with T5 light and 20A electrical recepticals and drawers...out the door was less than $80.00

I also got a ton of Impact tools on Clearance, as well as a brand-new cordless 18V 1/2" electric impact gun (changing tires, suspension parts, etc) #67845 and a bunch of other little things. SCORE!!!

Well crud - just got back from HF.
Did get the ratcheting breaker that SIXSPEED posted.

They were out of the 1/2"dr. x 25-1/2" breakers.
And they did get almost 400 bucks from me.

Originally Posted By: cjcride
Using a ratchet in place of a torque bar is rough on the fine gears in the ratchet.

The HF ratcheting breaker bar is meant to be used as a breaker bar. The max torque is labeled on the tool as 378 lb-ft for the 1/2" drive version.

Originally Posted By: SIXSPEED

The HF ratcheting breaker bar is meant to be used as a breaker bar. The max torque is labeled on the tool as 378 lb-ft for the 1/2" drive version.

That thing is a serious POS, the HF breaker bars on the other hand are quite a bargain.

Originally Posted By: cjcride
Using a ratchet in place of a torque bar is rough on the fine gears in the ratchet.

The one I recently bought has a label "High Torque". I'll have to check again as I didn't see a label stating the ft-lb
I'll have my glasses on when I get in the garage later & check.
And if mine only says "High Torque", then that's subjective - could be a little geeky string pole fella to a big burly gorilla monster dude that termed it High Torque.

Okay, went and checked. It does say "378ft-lbs" on the label. It was on the same label, I just had to roll it around to see the other side of the label, and of course put my glasses to use.

Originally Posted By: lipadj46

That thing is a serious POS, the HF breaker bars on the other hand are quite a bargain.

Can you elaborate ... I have not used the ratcheting breaker bar yet and would like to know what to look out for?

Last edited:
How has your experience been with returns?

My 8 gallon air compressor just seized up within the year warranty. Do I really have to ship it to California? Is HF customer service okay to deal with?

I also have a particular impact socket from a set that is worn more than I'd like. Does that have to go into the mail too, or just to the local store?

Thanks for any info!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back