Harbor Freight Tools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jcwit
If every tool I've ever broken or worn out is a POS I'd have very few brands available to buy.

Now there is a lot of truth to that statement. Over the years I've broken my fair share of tools, some of the so called very best tools. They quickly became a POS when it broke!

The nice thing about having a HF store in the area now is I can look at the tool before I buy it. Many of them look like total junk, others look good. As with any purchase let the buyer beware.

Any so called 'breaker bar' that easily breaks when you use it as intended is indeed a POS.

I have old SK Wayne stuff that is from the seventies, nothing's broken.

HF does accept returns at the store, but it's hit or miss depending on who you get.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Any so called 'breaker bar' that easily breaks when you use it as intended is indeed a POS.

No argument there either!

I took advantage of their Black Friday sale but I ended up paying shipping because I did not want to drive to the store. I ordered the multi-tool, 3/8 torque wrench (I have their 1/4 torque wrench, it is accurate enough, I checked it), battery float charger and few freebies.

- Vikas

I've returned 2 things at the HF store, both times things went well.

1st: A set of limb loppers with telescoping handles. First time I tried to cut oak, about 1 1/4" diameter, one handle folded right up. Exchanged for a solid handle model, same price, no problem.

2nd: An 8-gal air compressor. It kept shutting itself off & blowing sparks out from under the cowling. Looked like a 1970's TV movie about a computer taking over the world!
grin.gif
I still had the box, packing, everything. Not only did they quickly make a full refund for the compressor- thanks to a helpful clerk, I even got a refund for the 2 pints of compressor oil I bought with it! With the refund squared away, I bought their red 3-gal pancake oilless compressor. It's been happily inflating tires ever since.

If I had anything to return to HF- even it was bought online- I'd try to return it to the store first, so long as I had the receipt. EVen without the rct, I'd see if they would exchange it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess for higher dollar items I'd consider taking it back - but for the low cost hand tools etc., I'll consider them disposable and easy to replace.

Originally Posted By: Errtt
I guess for higher dollar items I'd consider taking it back - but for the low cost hand tools etc., I'll consider them disposable and easy to replace.

I may catch flack for this, but this is one of the biggest issues with society today. Everything is "disposable". Most of my tools are decades older than I am. Many of them are from the 1940's and were my grandfathers. Good tools aren't disposable. But good tools cost money.

I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for, there are some exceptions. I like good tools, they are an investment. OTOH there are certain less expensive tools that can get the job done. HF has some tools that are pretty good, their 25"x1/2" drive breaker bar comes to mind. I don't mind buying their cheap screw drivers for my business. My guys abuse them, misplace them, accidentally take them home, etc. Under those circumstances they are another good value. As is their cheap hammers for setting popped nails in drywall.

It offends me that China Freight Tools uses names like US General, Pittsburgh, etc., when they are the exact reason why jobs are leaving the USA. Replace a tool forge with a $5 desk monkey who doesnt even know anything about tools.

That said, walking through their store is like being a kid in a candy store. Not even at tool and hardware stores do you have as much diverse yet related stuff close-packed together for examination. Engines to air compressors to power tools to any number of specialized tools that you can think of.

I did buy a compression tester from them, as I needed one with a glowplug adapter and will use it all of two or three times most likely. It, like everything else in the store, had a horrible odor to it, but it worked well enough.

IMO, you can expect one of two things - use the tool you buy just a few times, as that is all the quality/life designed into it, or use it very lightly. Some stuff, like impact sockets (got those years ago) I consider to be dangerous. Other stuff, like a 3/4" drive socket set I bought back in 2002 to turn one very oversized but not highly torqued item, is likely good enough, provided you do not apply excessive torque. I wouldnt want to count on their stuff for daily, robust use. Plus some of their stuff liek wrenches seems to be getting pricey compared to what I'd expect.

It would be great if all tools were still made here. Most all of my tools are 30-50 years old, with the exception of metric stuff I have purchased in the last 15 years from foriegn vendors.(Since I drive Fords I rarely use them anyway)HeHe!
One thing that bugs me is, I always liked Carhart clothing. Made in the USA. Well that's even made in Latin America now, but Carhart still charges the same price as when made in the US. So now I won't buy their products any longer.

They have a 1/2" drive extendable ratchet (12", extends to 18"). It works well, although cranking on it very hard and quickly seems to make them slip. Lubing the internals fixed that mostly (ratchet pawls weren't hitting full engagement fast enough, before load was applied).

The $3 multimeters work pretty well too.

^ I just got the 1/4 and 3/8 headed version of same. Can't wait to use it. Nice 72 tooth action.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
^ I just got the 1/4 and 3/8 headed version of same. Can't wait to use it. Nice 72 tooth action.

I got a 1/4 flex-handle (TF72) and a 3/8ths (F80) Snap-On ratchet a few months ago. They are both (especially the 80-tooth one)very nice in the action department.

Originally Posted By: tig1

One thing that bugs me is, I always liked Carhart clothing. Made in the USA. Well that's even made in Latin America now, but Carhart still charges the same price as when made in the US. So now I won't buy their products any longer.

IMO that is the problem and the solution. Problem is people dont tell the companies why they are boycotting them...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

IMO that is the problem and the solution. Problem is people dont tell the companies why they are boycotting them...

I did. I used to purchase Carharts at Rual King here in Illinois. When I found out where they were made I could only tell the store. Corporate could care less my opinion. You see, most people don't really care where Carhart makes their clothing. By the way, their stuff is still good quality.

Last edited:
It would be great if all tools were still made here. Most all of my tools are 30-50 years old, with the exception of metric stuff I have purchased in the last 15 years from foriegn vendors.(Since I drive Fords I rarely use them anyway)HeHe!

I used nothing but metric when repairing my focus.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
I was thinking the same thing, maybe he drives really old Fords.

He's trying to say his Fords don't need work. No maintenance either, I suppose.

15.gif

Originally Posted By: defektes

I used nothing but metric when repairing my focus.

They'd have to be pretty old. Both my '87 Mustang and my '89 Town Car are both metric.

HF is jacking up the prices like crazy. The regular price on torque wrenches used to be $19.95. I just got a new flier where it is now listed at $35.95 :-( Of course there is a special coupon which will drop it by 50% but even then it will be $18.

That flier was in the shipping box which had the same 3/8 torque wrench. I had paid $11.98 for it as a part of after Thanksgiving sale.

Last year, I purchased 1/4 torque wrench and I paid non-sale price of $19.95. Now it is listed at $29.95.

I can see that in general, HF prices have jumped up quite a lot in the last year. With them clamping down on coupon usage, they are becoming less attractive.

- Vikas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back