Tools and maintenance for cross-country drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good lord, anyone would think you're crossing the Sahara or something! What are we talking here, a 2 day drive on major highways? Check tyre pressures, fluid levels, and go! I'm all for being prepared, but realistically, you won't be fixing anything much beyond a flat tyre by the side of the road anyway. Enjoy the drive!

Originally Posted By: hpb
Good lord, anyone would think you're crossing the Sahara or something! What are we talking here, a 2 day drive on major highways? Check tyre pressures, fluid levels, and go! I'm all for being prepared, but realistically, you won't be fixing anything much beyond a flat tyre by the side of the road anyway. Enjoy the drive!

This is a board where we debate the devastating effects of 5 extra ppm of iron in 20 year old car's UOA so I don't think you should be surprised.
laugh.gif

It's gonna take me 4 days but yeah, not a round the world trek. I agree, most likely it will be dreadfully boring. I thought it would be interesting to see what the crew here had to suggest and I will admit a lot of them make sense. Not all, but a lot.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pajamarama
This is a board where we debate the devastating effects of 5 extra ppm of iron in 20 year old car's UOA so I don't think you should be surprised.
laugh.gif

True! To answer your original question though, I'd be carrying nothing more than whatever tools the car came from the factory with, plus maybe a spare litre (quart?) bottle of engine oil. Check the oil and water at the start of each day. Check tyre pressures too if you're super keen. Then drive! Agree with others who said to start early. Maximum mileage each day - maybe cut it down to 3 days on the road? I've driven tens of thousands of kilometers across outback Australia, with huge distances between civilization, in some far from suitable vehicles (even in the days before mobile phones!) with nothing more than these basic supplies, and would do it again tomorrow. In a modern Honda on well maintained, sealed highways, with roadside assist a mere phone call away, it'll be a walk in the park!

One other thing - is the significant other driving the Taurus cross-country too?

It's a legitimate question but unfortunately I would rather leave that topic off board. No offense taken but it's just something I don't want to get into here. Thanks for all your advice in the post above. :)

One other thing - is the significant other driving the Taurus cross-country too?

read between the lines in OP signature, mate.....
cheers

Originally Posted By: pandus13

read between the lines in OP signature, mate.....
cheers

Yes, got it now pandus13, thanks for pointing that out.

I've done this a couple times. It's a few days of driving, the odds you need something are almost zero.

Can of Fix a Flat. Roll of Duct Tape. AAA.

Actually, there IS plenty of desert across W. Tx, NM, AZ & Southern Calif. Driven across it myself. Once without A/C! And it's dam-hot this time of year. I'd never travel across any desert without several gallons of water. And it's not just breaking down either.

Two days???? How do you figure that?

What if you get the stomach bug from that last place you ate? Of course, it'll get the worst the further you are from anywhere else. If it's coming out both ends, you'll quickly dehydrate. And a vehicle isn't much shade. Even here, the solar heat index is 130°F....regularly. Second cause-of-weather-related death here is sun stroke.

P.S. Don't forget the TP......

Originally Posted By: cjcride
a bottle of MMO.
smile.gif

I really don't like the way that stuff tastes. I prefer gatorade personally.

Let's be realistic here. It's a Honda Fit. It has a tiny trunk and OP needs room for his luggage. He barely has any room for anything else than essentials. Besides te car has stellar quality records.

My advice is:
- don't pack any more tools than fit in a small duffel.
- if you don't have a tool mentioned above yet, don't go buy it now. Buy it if you need it. Chances are you won't.

Enjoy your trip.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
What are we talking here, a 2 day drive on major highways?

Two days???? How do you figure that?

Typo. I had meant to say "3" days.

Take whatever tools make you feel comfortable, especially so you can change a tire, top off fluids, and maybe fix leaking hoses or clamps. On a modern car that new, a flat tire is the only problem that's very likely.

I agree with the many suggestions for taking a few gallons of drinking water and some emergency food. Otherwise, stay alert and enjoy the drive.

I bought a slant-six Duster when it was 20 years old and then did trips like this for the next 7 years. That thing had a huge trunk, so I carried all of my tools, various fluids, and spare parts. It also had no A/C, so I drank a lot of fluids on long summer trips.

I only had one problem aside from a flat tire. It was running badly coming off the Ozarks, so I put on my spare carburetor at a convenience store in Talequah, Oklahoma. That didn't fix it, so I had to call a shop. Instead of charging me for a tow, the old-timer who showed up got me to limp along behind him. He threw in a set of points and I was off again. I changed points every 10,000 miles and carried a spare set from then on. On second thought, I did change a water pump in a motel parking lot. That might have made it another day or so with topoffs, but I had the time and space to fix it.

Originally Posted By: BrownBox88
Firearm?

WHY?

OP-I would take what you need to fix a flat and buy an Auto Club membership for $59.00 and call it a day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back