Tools and maintenance for cross-country drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pajamarama
Oh, and will have some duct tape. Can't believe no one mentioned that yet. :p
Get a roll of UL-181BX shiny duct tape rather than the cheap stuff. Well worth the $$$.

Also, a couple of gallons of drinking water, a good reflective sun-shade, a couple of construction-grade trash bags, a piece of closed-cell foam large enough to protect your knees and feet from the 150°F payment should you have to kneel on it, a roll of Viva paper towels, a can of TuffStuff (hand cleaner in a pinch; also great to clean bugs off windshield), pair of mechanics gloves.

Be sure you can loosen all your lug-nuts with the wrench in your car. Nothing worse than having a spare but no way to get the #$%^&! nuts off with a cheap wrench.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Sorry if I missed it, but what's the point of this trip? (moving, career change etc?)

It's a one way move.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Originally Posted By: Pajamarama
Oh, and will have some duct tape. Can't believe no one mentioned that yet. :p
Get a roll of UL-181BX shiny duct tape rather than the cheap stuff. Well worth the $$$.

Also, a couple of gallons of drinking water, a good reflective sun-shade, a couple of construction-grade trash bags, a piece of closed-cell foam large enough to protect your knees and feet from the 150°F payment should you have to kneel on it, a roll of Viva paper towels, a can of TuffStuff (hand cleaner in a pinch; also great to clean bugs off windshield), pair of mechanics gloves.

Be sure you can loosen all your lug-nuts with the wrench in your car. Nothing worse than having a spare but no way to get the #$%^&! nuts off with a cheap wrench.

I will have my 1/2 breaker bar and suitable socket with me.

Gonna have to look into prices for a Uhaul to carry all this stuff....lol.

Your Fit is a highly reliable vehicle, its low mileage, and only six years old. It's literally in its prime. All it has to do is start and then keep running for hours on end - which any self respecting vehicle (let alone a Honda) can do all day.

In addition to my previous recommendations I'd agree with taking a good cross wrench to ensure you can remove your wheel nuts. A flat tire is a risk, though low probability.

Other than that, take some road maps and enjoy the drive - it'll be a piece of cake for your car - unless there's something about it you're not telling us.

If you load your car up enough, there'll be a problem. And it won't be the cars fault either.

On these long trips I limit myself to 1000 - 1100 Km/day [625 - 700 miles/day]. More than that and you'll get punchy.

Make sure your spare is aired up to recommendation, oil is at top off and tires at correct pressure. With auto assistance to help, you should not need to do repairs on the roadside. Just be safe and careful of the other crazies out there

Charged cell phone and a credit card and little faith in your favorite diety.

In a car that small you'll never have everything you need. Enjoy.

Originally Posted By: mehullica
Take a baseball bat

A baseball bat? If any strangers on the highway approached me for a quick game of baseball, I'd shoot 'em!
34.gif

Not sure if you have a full size spare tire instead of donut spare tire.

That donut cannot last but a few miles at very slow speed.

Other than that, you can always rely on the truck stop along the way for your supply.
There are a lot even from Dallas to the desert of West TX.

Wow, those suggestions are almost all over-prepping.

Those are major highways, not dirt roads a hundred miles from the nearest town.

Modern tires are reliable. Highways will have far fewer nails/screws/etc than local streets. Checking that the lugs are properly torqued (you can remove them) and that spare is actually inflated is all that you need to do.

Most fuse boxes have a fuse remover and spare fuses for the smaller sizes. It's rare to blow a fuse without an underlying problem, so that should be low on your worry list.

What will you do with duct tape? It's unlikely to hold on anything important. The only use would be if you were stacking things on the roof and needed to tape down an fluttering edge.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Originally Posted By: mehullica
Take a baseball bat

A baseball bat? If any strangers on the highway approached me for a quick game of baseball, I'd shoot 'em!
34.gif

Don't worry. I shall be armed with a 8" Henkel chef's knife in one hand, my 1/2 breaker bar in the other and my devastating wit.

If I happen to be shot dead because I don't have a firearm, I promise to come back here and post that you were correct.

Leave early each day - before sunrise if your body can handle it. Cooler temps are easier on you and your car. On long trips, I like to go 75-100 miles before breakfast, but that's me. Since you are going West, leaving later in the day would put the sun on your side and in your face longer. Take a cooler, sunglasses, and lots of water.

For years I carried a trunk full of tools when out on the road and never had need for any kind of tool. Now I carry and adjustable jaw wrench,wire cutter, screwdriver with various bits, vice grips(the real thing made in DeWitt,Nebraska), small roll of gorilla tape, roll of wire,knife, red flag and whistle,small plastic tarp.Don't think I will ever use any of those as we are only driving about 3000 miles a year now.

My grandfather carried a trunk full of tools in his 91 cavalier the whole time he had the car.

Never used any of them. I think it was to keep us kids from borrowing his tools.

My proudest roadside repair was using electrical wire to hold up an exhaust that dropped.

Don't forget that having tools lets you show off to cute girls (or dudes) who may be in distress, which is actually better than having issues with your own car.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
My proudest roadside repair was using electrical wire to hold up an exhaust that dropped.

I used a coat hanger to wire up the exhaust. That wasn't on a Volvo was it? Mine sagged in the center and broke off 3 different times (in 18 1/2 years). The back portion then came away nicely and even fit in the trunk. Just like it had been planned. Say ...

Not long before I sold the car, the muffler or the resonator got a hole in it (again), but since I had a whole handful of lifetime warranty slips Volvo replaced the back half of the exhaust with a single piece unit. That might have fixed the falling apart problem.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
My grandfather carried a trunk full of tools in his 91 cavalier the whole time he had the car.

Never used any of them. I think it was to keep us kids from borrowing his tools.

laugh.gif
Your grandpa was wise.

And thanks for the suggestions regarding driving patterns, schedule, rest, etc. I have done this trip before but in reverse -- So Cal to Atlanta 9 years ago. Didn't really expect to be making a return trip but life happens.

I believe if I carry enough tools, it will act as a good luck charm so that nothing will happen. If I take no tools at all, sure as the sun rises my car will conk out 60 miles from BF Egypt, TX. That's the way things seem to work.

Last edited:
Don't carry antifreeze. You can't drink it or use it for windshield wash.

1/2 gallon of Cheapo supermarket water nails all three emergencies. Use an old soda etc bottle with better fitting screw-on cap. Water grows bacteria so start with fresh when you set out.

Don't make any repairs to your car for the week before you go. Let stuff "settle in."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back