Tool Review: HF 110v. inverter stick welder

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had this little gem for over 6 months now, and I'm liking it better all the time. For light-duty welding, it works really well. When I first got it, I had some difficulties due in part to the fact that I'm not a trained welder. I got the 1/16" 6013 they sell at HF, and I was having all sorts of flux inclusions, rod sticking, you name it. Once I learned how to hold an arc, I began having less problems with sticking, but was still having problems with ugly welds and worm holes.

I did try (on the advice of some here) some 3/32" 6011, and had better results. For this, I had to turn the welder all the way up (80 amps) and I could get decent welds. Obviously I'm not doing structural welding, but for 1/8" and 3/16" metal, it seemed OK.

Then I read some reviews of the 1/16" 6013 rods at the HF website, and it seemed like some people love it. They wouldn't love it if their welds looked like mine. I revisited my technique. "6013 is not a whipping rod" is the familiar refrain. I discovered, however, that a back-and-forth motion, i.e. whip-and-pause, or doing little cursive e's worked much better than just dragging the stick along. I am able now to use the little 6013 rods at about 45 amps and get decent beads.

I also noticed that HF has 1/16" 7014 rods. I got some of those, and have been very happy with them. Easier to use than even the 6013. I use the same kind of manipulation as I've been using with the 6013's, and I'm getting some nice looking welds with no holes. Running about 55 amps, it's very easy to weld 1/8" thick angle iron, which is mainly what I'm doing.

Just to let you know, I have a couple of 220v. welders, nothing too sophisticated; I have used my Lincoln AC/DC tombstone more than any other. Having that kind of power available is nice, and makes it easier to keeps the rods from sticking, etc., but the little HF inverter is so portable, and works so well on little stuff, that I think it's a keeper.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
We need pictures of those phat beads you're throw'n down!

Ask and ye shall receive:

First pic is a couple of 16 ga. nail plates. I made 3 separate, short welds so as to not overheat them. Got some, not much penetration to the other side.

20130912_124124-001_zpsc773a3c4.jpg

Next is just a bead I ran down a strap that I think is 12 ga. or so. Holes are about 3/16" to give you a size reference.

20130912_125325-001_zps6e24ca19.jpg

Nail plates were welded at about 40 amps, bead on strap about 50 amps. Both are 7014.

I have their 120v flux wire welder. Don't have any 220 outlets in the whole house and didn't feel like adding one (yet), so it was either that or the stick welder you bought. Having some experience (high school metal shop), I prefer a wire-feed machine to a stick welder. The fact that I don't have to use shielding gas is a plus, too.

Only used it once, to permanently attach a drain plug kit to the wife's transmission pan. I had done it previously with JB Weld, which was starting to leak after several years. Doesn't leak yet, so I guess it did its job. It's been sitting in the corner gathering dust ever since, but it's one of those things that will always be nice to have if I ever have a need for it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back