Where should I buy the new Welder?

After watching these two videos :

I think I have finally decided on a machine. I originally was going to pick up a MultiMatic 255, but an Email from a Miller tech said that I need to have a dedicated 50AMP 240V circuit to run that machine. My 240V circuit is on a 30AMP breaker. The MultiMatic 220 would be a lot more friendly with that 30AMP circuit. I'm actually relieved to get the news from Miller because I need something to push me in the right direction for making up my mind on a purchasing decision.

I have a lot riding on this machine because I plan to use it to help me make a career change. I need to get myself back into practice so that I can pass a weld test from a future employer. None of the employers around here give you anytime to warm up before a test. They expect you to make a very good weld as soon as you walk in the door.

20 years ago I took some welding classes at the local community college. During that time, I managed to get AWS certified in two different weld processes; SMAW and FCAW. Life got in the way and I was never able to pursue a career in welding. But reality has come around and I'm running out of time. It's now or never.

Would you guys buy a machine online or is the local welding supply store a safer move? Most of the stores around here assemble the machines and put them out on the sales floor where they collect dust. I would much rather prefer a machine that's fresh and sealed in a clean box; never opened. But my fear is getting a machine that has problems and have to deal with an online company for warranty or repair work. The guy in the videos bought his machine from Baker's Gas. I know Baker's Gas is a high volume seller and my chances of getting a machine that's fresh and clean is pretty good.

I have the Millermatic 211 inverter mig welder, it can weld up to 3/8" in a single pass. IIRC I bought it from cyberweld, never opened box. I paid about 1200 a few years ago.

Reactions: JC1
My LWS sucks balls and there's no support there anyway.

You can easily step up to a 50A circuit and truthfully if it's a dedicated circuit and you label it "Welder Only" you may (legally) get away with your current setup by just dropping in a 50A breaker depending upon duty cycle.

I wouldn't do that due to potential voltage drop but it's not a big deal to step up the wiring to #6

But I order everything online. Better price, comes to my door, and I don't have to deal with my LWS who is grossly incompetent. The only thing I do there is lease tanks.

A friend bought a Miller welder from a Welding supply store, he paid substantially more than he would have for a similar model from a big box store, but was assured that he was getting a pro model (with less plastic parts) than the consumer model. About 6 weeks after getting the welder and with only a few hours use, the wire feed motor died.
On taking it back to the store he was told that it only had a 30 day warranty (as opposed to the consumer model having 1 year) and that the new parts would be almost as much as a new box store welder.

He got the feeling that being a non pro (not likely to be a big customer) the welding store was not going to do him any favours.

Buy local, let them deal with any damage from shipment. If something is wrong with it no big shipping cost to send it back.

Back