Where do you buy your Proto tools?

I decided on a whim that I want a Proto 3/8" ratchet, model #J5249XL. I started looking online for a good price, and it turns out there is a pretty wide swing in price for the same item. For you that own Proto tools, where did you buy them?

Last edited:
Before Amazon and eBay, I used to go down to Gordon Industrial Supply to get Proto. These days it's much easier to get.

Before Amazon and eBay, I used to go down to Gordon Industrial Supply to get Proto. These days it's much easier to get.
I looked on Amazon and the reviews are not great. Some folks said they had received Proto tools that were not made in USA, and were basically junk. Others seemed pleased, so who knows. I trust Amazon on most stuff but I'm going to skip them this time. I will look on ebay, though. Thanks

Zoro - or, I bought from another BITOG member who was selling a brand new set of line wrenches… :cool:
Zoro is an example of a site where I saw a drastic price swing. Toolup.com has it for $48, and Zoro has it for $95. I've searched high and low and can't find anything confirming toolup is a scam.

Zoro is an example of a site where I saw a drastic price swing. Toolup.com has it for $48, and Zoro has it for $95. I've searched high and low and can't find anything confirming toolup is a scam.
Wow…never had a problem with Zoro - makes me wonder about tool up…

Toolup is absolutely not a scam, but I don't think I've ever ordered hand tools from them. I've only ordered Milwaukee cordless stuff. IIRC they are also redtoolstore.com which is solely Milwaukee stuff. All my orders have been through toolup.com

I decided on a whim that I want a Proto 3/8" ratchet, model #J5249XL. I started looking online for a good price, and it turns out there is a pretty wide swing in price for the same item. For you that own Proto tools, where did you buy them?
I'ver had a few Proto forever and don't know where I obtained them ... I think Grainger might still sell Proto. other than that good luck.

I'ver had a few Proto forever and don't know where I obtained them ... I think Grainger might still sell Proto. other than that good luck.
Grainger definitely has them, and they are the most expensive I've found. They don't tend to be that expensive on everything, so I'm not sure what gives on the Proto stuff.

Zoro is crazy for sure. Especially when you compare them to their same company but other website grainger. Not sure of their business plan. Sometimes Grainger is 2x more than Zoro. Other times they are cheaper

Back