HF Hercules 3/8 compact impact Question

I have a Milwaukee 1/2 impact but I wanted something smaller so I purchased the HF Hercules 3/8. I really like the auto mode. Very balanced and quiet. Spins bolts off fast, but then slows down perfectly. Surprisingly quiet.

But… I’m tortured by that small ring on the tip getting sockets stuck. Happens with the Milwaukee, but this one is terrible. So I guess it’s me. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to tighten it? Put grease on it. Do I need specific sockets to fit on this type? Right now it’s getting stuck using a Tekton socket set. It’s not an impact set if that matters.
IMG_5487.jpeg

IMG_5486.jpeg

IMG_5485.jpeg

Yep try to squeeze it down or you can buy replacement hog rings, readily available on Amazon or vendor of your choice.

Of course I can't guarantee a replacement hog ring would be any better but it's not ridiculous to try as they're inexpensive. The last one I got came with a basic tool to aid installation.

I used Amazon ASIN B07TBPVRD3 but it does claim to be specifically for Milwaukee. I thought these were kinda universal but perhaps not.....

If you insist on using chrome sockets on an impact, perhaps you can find a 1" mini extension that will "permanently" reside on the gun, then you can attach your chrome socket to the end of that extension?
I was having the same issue on a 3/8" impact and I kept squeezing the hog ring in different manner until I finally got it where it was working ok and not sticking on sockets. THEN I READ YOUR IDEA AND AM LIKE WTH!!! That is the best idea yet - I am gonna go and get a 1" impact extension and stick it on my impact as permanent fixture to the tool.

Extension idea - yeah, BUT, if the purpose is a smaller tool, you're adding an inch, and probably losing some torque too, and may be floppier.

What if you Very Carefully run the impact and hold a file against the ring to take off a little material? I imagine it would spin (stop spinning) with too much file pressure so might take a while but then you shouldn't need to take much material off. Worst case you just get a new ring as long as the file doesn't slip and damage the anvil.

I was having the same issue on a 3/8" impact and I kept squeezing the hog ring in different manner until I finally got it where it was working ok and not sticking on sockets. THEN I READ YOUR IDEA AND AM LIKE WTH!!! That is the best idea yet - I am gonna go and get a 1" impact extension and stick it on my impact as permanent fixture to the tool.

I don't think HF sells singles, but the shortest one in that pack could be the ticket.

Not impact rated but Tekton just released uber short extensions that basically look like an adapter. I like the concept for when a deep is too long but standard length is too short

I do also have the "really, really short" extensions in 3/8" from both SnapOn and Koken, but I think the Tektons are even shorter ‐‐ like literally just enough to have a male and female drive and nothing more

Also I use old school chrome Cman sockets on both of my 2854s with no problems (shrug). Pretty much every time I'm wrenching.....

If you insist on using chrome sockets on an impact, perhaps you can find a 1" mini extension that will "permanently" reside on the gun, then you can attach your chrome socket to the end of that extension?
I have impact sockets for the 1/2” Milwaukee. I was hoping I could use the smaller Hercules 3/8 with all the regular sockets I have. I wasn’t sure if there was a difference on how it was going to fit.

I have impact sockets for the 1/2” Milwaukee. I was hoping I could use the smaller Hercules 3/8 with all the regular sockets I have. I wasn’t sure if there was a difference on how it was going to fit.
Chrome sockets will fit on an impact anvil, but they are harder on the anvil and tend to be more cumbersome to remove/install.

There is also the inherent risk of fracture (and explosion) of using chrome sockets on an impact.

Hog ring shouldn’t get anything stuck that bad. Sounds like an HF quality issue.

I have one with a pin detent on the square drive… talk about annoying!

Hog ring shouldn’t get anything stuck that bad. Sounds like an HF quality issue.

I have one with a pin detent on the square drive… talk about annoying!
Pin detents suck unless required by OSHA/high steel/overhead work. If it's a brand name you can almost surely swap the anvil for a friction ring style.

I tried squeezing the ring with knipex pliers that are smooth and won’t rough up the ring. Seems better so far. Thanks all

Reactions: D60
Have you tried using 3/8 impact sockets? I have a hog ring on my 3/8 Ryobi and the Pittsburgh impact sockets are easy to remove, and my old Craftsman sockets slip off with little resistance. However my newer sockets (various brands) seem to put up a fight. I assume this is because of their design (???)

I know it can be a hassle, but when you've used one that doesn't hold well, that's a real hassle. Maybe it's a bit too strong, and needs some tweaking, but I'd be pretty happy if my DeWalt held that well.

Back