Took a beginners motorcycle riding class

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
What ever you do don't ever touch that front brake
Are you joking or are you serious? I thought you have to use front brakes if you don't want to slide out.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
I used to ride street bikes for years. It was fun when the A. Weather was nice and B. Traffic was mild. I generally rode early and out in the country. Soon enough however, I had too many close calls (99% wasn't my fault at all). Then, after being responsible for a lady rider on the back seat, I REALLY started to think about those close calls. I came to the conclusion, after a few restless nights, that if I truly cared about the young lady....I wouldn't put her at risk like that. It didn't take long for me to also realize that I shouldn't put MYSELF at risk like that either. I got rid of my bikes and really don't miss them at all.
Good luck to you and I wish you safe riding.

For some the rewards aren't worth the risks, but for me, motorcycling is in my blood...it's a freedom I can't get from anything else in life....when I'm riding, all of the things that cause stress in my life simply go away...but you're right that you have to be aware of what's going on around you 100% of the time cuz the other guy sure ain't lookin out for you!

Last edited:
If you really want to learn more about riding, take the advanced class...of course there's no replacement for decades of experience...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
My 74 year old MIL teaches these classes at the local technical school! It's not very tough unless you have zero experience.

And yes, it IS hard to fail...

The pass rate at the MOST class I attended was about 50%.

I can look at something and guess how much fun it is.

Though the Grand Canyon was disappointing.

But motorcycling is 150%-200% more fun than it looks!

My solemn vow.

Go for it.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

My solemn vow.

Go for it.

I'm glad that so many still enjoy riding. Great. But for me, I just didn't "feel" it anymore in addition to the safety concerns. I actually have the opposite opinion when I see somebody riding....it's not nearly as fun as it looks when you actually do it. It's work, dangerous work. Always scanning....constant eye on other vehicles and possible hazards. Even a tiny bit of loose gravel on a corner can kill you. Not for me anymore. Nothing against those that love it...good for you!

My solemn vow.

Go for it.

I'm glad that so many still enjoy riding. Great. But for me, I just didn't "feel" it anymore in addition to the safety concerns. I actually have the opposite opinion when I see somebody riding....it's not nearly as fun as it looks when you actually do it. It's work, dangerous work. Always scanning....constant eye on other vehicles and possible hazards. Even a tiny bit of loose gravel on a corner can kill you. Not for me anymore. Nothing against those that love it...good for you!

I can tell by your posts that motorcycling was never really your thing...these things you say are work should just be a part of your normal riding routine...these are all things I do when I ride, but to me they aren't work, they're just part of the riding experience and they come as natural to me...you did the right thing by walking away from motorcycling...

I'm with Grampi, motorcycling is as close as I can get to flying and still remain in contact with earth. I'd love to fly but the cost is beyond my reach thus motorcycling. Dangerous, well I suppose but if the engine quits you can coast to the side of the road. The sense of freedom out weighs the gravel one meets on an occasional corner. Riding in Ohio is a dream, more roads than you can use in a life time and they made most of them miss trees and out houses, and curves are great riding.
The concentration required to ride SHOULD be used to drive. Accidents are very few, negligence among drivers abounds.
YMMV
Ride on Grampi, the buckeyes are a call'in
Smoky
PS: I was an MSF instructor for over 20 years, if that makes any difference.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Smoky14
I'm with Grampi, motorcycling is as close as I can get to flying and still remain in contact with earth. I'd love to fly but the cost is beyond my reach thus motorcycling. Dangerous, well I suppose but if the engine quits you can coast to the side of the road. The sense of freedom out weighs the gravel one meets on an occasional corner. Riding in Ohio is a dream, more roads than you can use in a life time and they made most of them miss trees and out houses, and curves are great riding.
The concentration required to ride SHOULD be used to drive. Accidents are very few, negligence among drivers abounds.
YMMV
Ride on Grampi, the buckeyes are a call'in
Smoky
PS: I was an MSF instructor for over 20 years, if that makes any difference.

What coincidence, I used to fly as well. My Dad owned a Cessna 140 he taught me to fly, and I soloed on my 16th birthday. My Dad and the plane have been gone for a long time now (I really miss my Dad), and you're right, flying has become prohibitively expensive these days...FWIW, I'm not a Buckeyes fan, but I do enjoy riding in OH...Go Blue!

I was referring to the Buckeye trees that often line the old two lane roads. I grew up in farm country in eastern Ohio, Amish country. Learned to fly on a dirt strip and wound up in jets.

Smoky

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
I was referring to the Buckeye trees that often line the old two lane roads. I grew up in farm country in eastern Ohio, Amish country. Learned to fly on a dirt strip and wound up in jets.

Smoky

Jets huh? That must've been pretty cool...

Originally Posted By: grampi

My solemn vow.

Go for it.

I can tell by your posts that motorcycling was never really your thing...these things you say are work should just be a part of your normal riding routine...these are all things I do when I ride, but to me they aren't work, they're just part of the riding experience and they come as natural to me...you did the right thing by walking away from motorcycling...

I don't know what you mean by motorcycling not being my "thing"....but I'll take it as a truth in the end anyway. I used to ride thousands of miles for what it's worth. Mountain passes, deserts, cities, you name it. I've owned six bikes. Wasn't my thing? Well, it was until I realized that the risks were to great for me. Where I live the traffic has increased tremendously.....and so did my corresponding need to pay ever more attention to the others on the road that OFTEN did not see me. Not fun....and it is work as well as a chore. Sure, it comes natural to the rider. But it isn't very natural nor enjoyable when those levels of awareness tell you that you are in ever increasing danger of being struck.
Yes, I too am glad I got off the bike. Shortly before I did that TWO highly skilled riders in my place of employment crashed while riding. One was struck and his wife was killed (at a stop light....ZERO he could do about it), the other was forced off a mountain pass from an oncoming car. He survived....but after hitting a tree and being in a coma for a month....plus a year of rehab and the eventual resulting medical retirement...he's just now having a normal life (years later).
Yep....best choice I made getting off the motorcycle. I wish you many safe years of riding.

I don't know what you mean by motorcycling not being my "thing"....but I'll take it as a truth in the end anyway. I used to ride thousands of miles for what it's worth. Mountain passes, deserts, cities, you name it. I've owned six bikes. Wasn't my thing? Well, it was until I realized that the risks were to great for me. Where I live the traffic has increased tremendously.....and so did my corresponding need to pay ever more attention to the others on the road that OFTEN did not see me. Not fun....and it is work as well as a chore. Sure, it comes natural to the rider. But it isn't very natural nor enjoyable when those levels of awareness tell you that you are in ever increasing danger of being struck.
Yes, I too am glad I got off the bike. Shortly before I did that TWO highly skilled riders in my place of employment crashed while riding. One was struck and his wife was killed (at a stop light....ZERO he could do about it), the other was forced off a mountain pass from an oncoming car. He survived....but after hitting a tree and being in a coma for a month....plus a year of rehab and the eventual resulting medical retirement...he's just now having a normal life (years later).
Yep....best choice I made getting off the motorcycle. I wish you many safe years of riding.

I didn't mean anything derogatory when I said it wasn't your thing, I just meant it didn't get in your blood to the point where you couldn't give it up...that's me...sure, I've had some close calls in my 40+ years of riding, but that wasn't enough to make me walk away...could I walk away if I were in a bad accident? I don't know. Maybe, I just hope I never have to find out...

Originally Posted By: grampi

I didn't mean anything derogatory when I said it wasn't your thing, I just meant it didn't get in your blood to the point where you couldn't give it up...that's me...sure, I've had some close calls in my 40+ years of riding, but that wasn't enough to make me walk away...could I walk away if I were in a bad accident? I don't know. Maybe, I just hope I never have to find out...

No problem....and I hope you don't ever feel the need to stop. I just know that for me, it just wasn't worth it. Much of my concerns may in fact have more to do with the area I live than anything else. I can assure you if I didn't live in a crowded...angry area, I would most likely still be riding. I do however enjoy an even better feeling of freedom and fun when I ride a PWC. On big, open water with miles of space, my safety concerns are minimal and I can cut curves....jump...and go about as fast as I want to.
Good luck to you and ride safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back