Took a beginners motorcycle riding class

Status
Not open for further replies.
State of CT offers a basic riding class thru the community college system, that upon successful completion, is considered "the riding exam" for your motorcycle endorsement.

The class was 7 hours classroom, 12 hour range over 3 separate days (Thursday night, all day SatSun) The two guys giving the course were unbelievably knowledgeable and skilled and excellent with their presentation skills. One could tell the years of experience behind the things they stressed. The motorcycles (250cc) were provided as were the helmets. Only 10 students to a class

Course material was covered quickly with a lot of time to practice. As a new person, I was a bit overwhelmed, akin to drinking from a fire hose. As safety was a prime concern, range control was quite strict. Topics included tight u-turns, quick stops, negotiating curves etc.

I passed with probably a c+ type of grade; the things I thought I would have problems with (figure 8) i was able to handle and then blew the easy stuff. I will just offer that figure 8's are difficult when the handle bars hit one's kneecaps....

This class was no cakewalk for a beginner. It really pointed out to me how widely different riding is from driving or riding a bicycle. Hopefully it will temper my approach to any future endeavors. It seems like good riding will be a multiyear learning discipline.

I did run over the instructor and dump the bike. I was almost comfortable with "this might not be for me" but soldiered on..... The candor of the class is upbeat so stuff was dust off and we all pressed on.

Still not sure if it is for me....

-T

Was it run through the Motorcycle Safety Foundation? That's how I got my license some years ago. New York does the same thing; you leave with your license if you pass the course.

It was a great chance to practice emergency maneuvers that I wouldn't have otherwise done if I was teaching myself and taking the DMV's road test. I recommend everyone go this route if possible.

You ran over the instructor and still passed? What do you have to do to fail, run over yourself?

I took the class a few years back and was surprised how heavy a Honda Nighthawk 250 weighs! And it was a topheavy I didn't expect.

However we were lined up, there was an incompetent girl always doing a tight figure 8 coming straight at me, idling in line. She kept freaking out about hitting me, making eye contact with me, then accidentally going straight towards me. As I was sitting on an idling bike, I wasn't quite sure how I'd dump/jump to safety if she actually hit me head-on.

She quit over lunch. Probably driving a Tahoe now.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: yonyon
You ran over the instructor and still passed? What do you have to do to fail, run over yourself?

There is a training portion for two days, then an evaluation of several skills; the mishap was during the training portion.

The goal here is to "learn your lessons" in a controlled, supervised session (and on someone else's bike); Fortunately, there was an EMT who was also taking the class, but I was unscathed. Another guy needed a little more time to shake it off when he locked up the front wheel and dumped it.

The class materials were supplied by the MSF, so I suspect the trainers might have been from there also. I still have to take the state written test if I want my endorsement.

edit: on a side note, several people in the class had been riding street bikes for years, but never bothered to get their licenses. Apparently in CT the push is to "take" your bike should you get caught riding it without a license

Last edited:
I took the MOST class last year...did OK, problems mostly from the totally-wasted Nighthawk I barely fit on. Liz and I got back from a ride an hour ago, in fact.
smile.gif

I LOVE my new Burgman!

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I have been riding since 2009. I have considered taking a MSF course just to see what i could learn.
Do it. A friend of mine who'd been riding for years went with a friend of hers who wanted to take the Illinois class but didn't want to go alone. My friend said that she even picked up some things despite her experience.

OP: your take sounds like mine, only I left the class without a license because I dumped the thing during the panic stop part of the test.
33.gif
But all weekend long I alternated between "this is pretty cool" and "do I really want to do this on the street with cars all around? If nothing else, I came away with an understanding of what riders have to deal with and am more aware of them on the roads.

you ran over the instructor....lol, I just cannot get past this.

On another note, I saw a guy get killed on a cycle and will never ever ride one on the road. One mistake by you or anyone else and you are dead
frown.gif

I used to ride street bikes for years. It was fun when the A. Weather was nice and B. Traffic was mild. I generally rode early and out in the country. Soon enough however, I had too many close calls (99% wasn't my fault at all). Then, after being responsible for a lady rider on the back seat, I REALLY started to think about those close calls. I came to the conclusion, after a few restless nights, that if I truly cared about the young lady....I wouldn't put her at risk like that. It didn't take long for me to also realize that I shouldn't put MYSELF at risk like that either. I got rid of my bikes and really don't miss them at all.
Good luck to you and I wish you safe riding.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
How much of a beginner are you allowed to be ?

Do you have to have some previous motorcycle experience ?

As long as you can ride a bicycle, they'll take you. It would help of you had been on even a dirt bike and understand the principles of operating a manual transmission.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440

As long as you can ride a bicycle, they'll take you. It would help of you had been on even a dirt bike and understand the principles of operating a manual transmission.

I've been on a dirt bike and I can operate a manual transmission, but I never could figure out and to steer a motorcycle and make a turn. I can only operate a motorcycle in a straight line.

Yeah there were a few schmucks in my class who'd been riding illegally for years. My state doesn't check your license before they issue a registration plate-- and, presumably, the insurance companies didn't care either.

What it seemed to come down to was someone would want to finance a new bike then in the background check someone would say, huh?

I quit riding (for a while?) after I wrecked my ankle at work and used up all my brownie points at home. Even if the wreck isn't your fault, imagine the sneering and lack of understanding that might come your way. We have cars hit bikes about annually here, doing stuff like turning left after a line of oncoming cars ending with a bike, and gunning the offending left-turning car without seeing said bike.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

I did run over the instructor and dump the bike.

And you still passed? That's a sad commentary about the lax licensing standards.

The last time I rode a bike was at least 15 years ago. I completed my MSF course and got the license. I had some fun with my brother's bike but like a good family man, he was forced to sacrifice his bike for the greater good.

I often wonder if I would be in a position to get on one today and just ride. Anybody who had long hiatus and were not an experienced biker in the past?

As long as you can ride a bicycle, they'll take you. It would help if you had been on even a dirt bike and understand the principles of operating a manual transmission.

I've been on a dirt bike and I can operate a manual transmission, but I never could figure out and to steer a motorcycle and make a turn. I can only operate a motorcycle in a straight line.

The MSF course is a good place to learn and practice.

Yup. Having never ridden a motorcycle, not even a scooter before, I signed up for an MSF course at the age of 36. Did just fine. Picked it up in no time. Having an understanding of how a manual trans works certainly helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back