Too soon for UOA???? Still breaking in??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive got 15,000 miles on my 2008 Silverado(6.0 vortec) with nothing but pennzoil platinum since about the 3000 mile mark, and just changed the oil again (ive changed it about 3 times with the platinum),...im thinking about doing a UOA after about 6 /mo's on this batch, but dont know if I should bother because I hear these engines shed some high wear number's especially copper during break-in. Does everyone think I should wait awhile before a UOA?

Our 6.0 now has 1400 miles on it. Im about to do a second oil change when it hits 1600 to 1800 miles. Some might think im crazy but i feel better getting the break in materials out of the engine with frequent oil changes on new engines.

Anyway in all reality the engine should be done most of the break in by 15,000 miles I would think. Rings should have seated and worn in, bearings should have seated etc etc by 15,000 miles.

By the way that 6.0 is a beast isnt it! Somebody should kick GM in the gonads for implementing "torque management" into these trucks. I understand why they did it and its probably a smart move on there part but its annoying not having all the power on tap whenever you want it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ProStreetCamaro
Our 6.0 now has 1400 miles on it. Im about to do a second oil change when it hits 1600 to 1800 miles. Some might think im crazy but i feel better getting the break in materials out of the engine with frequent oil changes on new engines.

Anyway in all reality the engine should be done most of the break in by 15,000 miles I would think. Rings should have seated and worn in, bearings should have seated etc etc by 15,000 miles.

By the way that 6.0 is a beast isnt it! Somebody should kick GM in the gonads for implementing "torque management" into these trucks. I understand why they did it and its probably a smart move on there part but its annoying not having all the power on tap whenever you want it.

I don't think you're crazy, I dropped the oil in my 08 Liberty at 500 miles and filled it with yellow bottle. I dropped it again at either 1500 or 2000 miles (too lazy to look it up right now), and filled it with PP and 4 oz of ARX. I will now change that out every 6 months and use 4 oz of ARX. I keep my cars and trucks a lllllloooooooooooonnnnnnnggggggggg time!

Frank D

I have 2008 Nissan Frontier and I was wondering the same thing. Should I change the oil at 500, 1000 or wait until 3000. I hate thinking about the metal flowing in the engine. I what this 4L v6 to run along time.

a good break in oil change at 500 or 1k is always a good idea. I changed out my oil at 600 miles and again at 3K in my stang.

I had a 6.0 in my 03 Silverado 2500HD. Loved that engine, got rid of the truck because I got a sales job driving all over the state. She sure was thirsty. I would hold off until 25K for the UOA. As a note make sure you have at least 3K on the oil until you send it in.

It really depends on the engine some are clear from the break-in at 10k while some still have break-in materials at 30k. Taking an UOA before 25k would seem like a waste to me.

i am a fan of early oil changes. changed the FF in my corolla at 300 miles, refilled with yellow bottle, drained that at 500 miles (couldnt get filter off at 300 mile mark so left it on) again at 1600 miles and now on regular oci's

I don't understand WHAT it is that people think is "floating around in the oil"? Shurely the filter catches any and everything of signifigance. I say change the FF at the same interval you intend to do subsequent changes. Why do anything different, it's illogical. imo, the best practice is nice even changes. Say you have 100q of oil to service the engine over it's life. What would be best, random changes, shorther then gradually longer intervals or nicely even spaced changes- right on cue?

Oil filters catch typically almost everything above 50 microns, below that size a filter may or may not catch it. Particles smaller than 50 microns can still cause wear, think of 320 grit sandpaper which has average particle size of 36 microns. The extra wear caused by having 5k miles on the first OC compared to 500 miles is probably nominal, but it is still extra wear.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
I don't understand WHAT it is that people think is "floating around in the oil"?

I change it early because, well, because I want to!

There's nothing wrong with doing a UOA early on if money is plentiful to start your wear metal trending. Again like somebody else said make sure the oil has some miles on it. Wait till you are ready to do a 4-5k oci with PP and then worry about a uoa.

I know of one GM car and one boat, separate owners, who sent in oil samples after first change. Both of these showed contamination, and were repaired under warrant. The GM was manifold gasket, the boat was miscast head.
In both cases, could have probably gone longer before oil sample without doing any (or at least significant) damage--but pretty cheap insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back