Too little too late (CAFE)

Status
Not open for further replies.
 -

Operating cost assumes 39 mpg, as I get 40mpg for 9 months and 36 in the winter. Gas at $2.499. Repairs and maintenance at $100 per year. I do all my own work and use junkyard parts... even used tires.

Insurance is liability only.

Licence, registration fees also include annual state inspections and excise tax.

Depreciation really is that low. It assumes the 95 wagon will be scrapped and the 2000 will be worth $1000 in 2010.

No finance charge.

Boy, some people really pay a lot to be on the road.

If gas doubles (again) my costs go up 40%, which makes someone's point. But fuel is my biggest expense. Wish it weren't mixed in with repairs.

quote:

Originally posted by thunderchild:

We don't have to look that far ahead now. Like I said before, they can start putting in diesel engines NOW!!

Your right regarding fuel consumption. BUT the diesel engine pollutes 50% more than an equal gas engine if you look at all the numbers and not only CO2 (and CO). Even with particle filter, the pollution from diesel engines isn't better than gas engines.

Yeah, but the USA doesn't give a rip about air pollution anymore. Minnesota did away with pollution testing a few years back, and I believe Colorado did too the last time I visited my parents (ever see the famous Denver brown cloud?).

Apparantly states/counties have to implement "some sort of plan" for cleaning up their air if they have enough "bad air days" per year. The EPA/ Clean Air Act starts getting antsy.

That "plan" usually winds up being vehicle emissions testing. My county's plan is a gas cap pressure test
rolleyes.gif
and OBD-II scan. It's the only county in the state that requires emission testing and it costs an extra $5-8 per inspection. There's enough time between coming up with a plan and implementing it that improvements in vehicle technology could have fixed that issue anyway, or a summer won't be as smog-forming hot and humid... enough variables...

I'm not suprised Minnesota got out of their plan, with the generally wide-open spaces and today's cleaner cars. I'm actually glad they reconsidered this testing with more reliable cars on the road and fewer carbureted heaps.

quote:

As I have said before, "Live and let live". And I WON'T be suffering from any "owner-embarrasment". I like trucks, period. I will continue to drive trucks, period. Others can disagree but it doesn't bother me. Put diesels in trucks and they will get 20 mpg or more.

I'm live and let live, Thunder, I do believe I stated that I'm not for a mandated solution. We can all see you couldn't care less as to the effect, and that's fine, free world, all that. But spare us the innane suggestion that diesel is the answer, would ya? The few diesels that ARE out there (mostly garbage trucks and the dual-wheeled pickups, again, driven by peeps that are out to make a statement, or compensate), are so filthy with the particulate and sulpher stink, sensible peeps would hardly consider diesel a solution.

But then, we already settled the sensible need vs. "I want" issue, now, didn't we?

The best suggestion I've read so far is Let the market decide. Ours is a free(mostly) capitalistic society that is founded on this concept.

LTVibe:

Neat chart. Yes I am aware of the cost of ownership. I am not worried about it though like most people. I can pay for the gas. Depreciation, not important to me because I am going to keep this vehicle until the doors fall off. The rest, well I own my truck outright so all the rest isn't important.

Kestas:

We don't have to look that far ahead now. Like I said before, they can start putting in diesel engines NOW!! They already put them in other vehicles and definitely in Europe. Most vehicles that are sold there are diesel and in vehicles made by our US companies. I want that, and I would support it in a heartbeat. However, as always there is the beaurocracy to go through. Until they pull their collective heads out of their backsides, we are at a disadvantage. And if we use up all the petrolium now, they will invent synthetic fuels. Hydrocarbons are one of the most common compounds in the universe that we know of. We can and would do it if the situation got that bad. But, have you noticed all the new, LARGE petrolium fields they are finding? Canada, Mexico, Venezuela just to name a few. Let alone all the untapped petrolium they have in the Caspian Sea region and the totally untapped reserves the have found exist in Africa! There is also the untapped reserves that are under the vast parts of the ocean we haven't even touched yet. There won't be a shortage at all for quite some time.

I am now really to the point that I favor gas guzzlers.

We will burn all of the gasoline made. With more gas guzzelers that equates to fewer vehicle miles and less traffic. Our roads can't tolerate more traffic and the costs of building more and repairing those we have are a major expense. I'm glad gasoline is limited.

A lot of households in this country have 4 drivers and out in the driveway and there are probably 5 vehicles that one may choose from, with a motorcycle also mixed in there? We in this country have had an unpaid, unfed, slave (OIL) doing our work for us for about 150 years and with GLOBALIZATION the party is over. In Europe it is not uncommon for a household to all SHARE one fuel miser. I would expect gasoline during this summers' peak driving season to be north of $3.00 and to not go under that mark ever again. With dwindiling worldwide resources (when was the last time you heard of a major oil discovery?)expect your fuel consumption calculations to become a top priority. It will be most difficult for the suburban "mommies" who got used to barging into traffic w/ their Expeditions, but they are young and they will get over it. GOOGLE PEAK OIL for some interestig reading on this subject, especially if considering a vehicle purchase soon.

quote:

Originally posted by eljefino:
That "plan" usually winds up being vehicle emissions testing. My county's plan is a gas cap pressure test
rolleyes.gif
and OBD-II scan.[/QB]

we'd have biannual testing state wide if Gov. King hadn't told the EPA to go **** themselves. that was what 10 years ago? (it was also, IMHO the only good thing that idiot did).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back