Too Cheap to Do an Oil Analysis

There is a reason.
Number of engines?

The “Lawn Dart”, as it was known by those who didn’t fly it, had an awful reputation for crashing because the engine quit. Pilots survived the engine failure.

The jet didn’t.

We didn’t sample the oil that often on twin engine fighters.

Castrol Edge comes out with a red tint but I've only ever used it in one engine. It may be fuel dilution.

If you short trip all these vehicles that could be it, but I asked this same question and got one or two replies from people saying they saw the same thing with this oil.

Maybe it is just it’s cleaning the engine and the other ones aren’t doing as good a job at cleaning. I was thinking it was due to some super special additive.

I wish I could change my oil in a garage. LOL
It’s all natural light.

I’m not concerned at all. Just inquisitive. I have never in my life seen oil look this red tint during a change. Of course, I normally don’t watch it drain when the wind is blowing. That’s when it got my initial attention.

I figure I could post this question here and save me an oil analysis fee. And it's not a question that is gonna change my life or anything.
I am merely curious. That is all.

What would you think would make used engine oil at a 3000-5000 mile OCI have a red tint? It's actually quite attractive but no other oil
that I have ever used turns this color. I am not bashing the oil. I thought it was my engines issue but it did it on multiple cars. I experimented with
another oil and it does not tint red. Could there be some special additive? Some secret ingredient?

When I say red tint, the oil looks like used oil in the drain pan. It's when it fans out during the drain or when you swirl the drain pan that the red tint
shows up. Or on your paper towels during clean up.

I enjoy sarcasm so have at it ;)
I will try to find the quote when I have time, but Pennzoil mentioned it before (in 2014ish) on this site and others, that some of their detergent (or could be dispersant, can't remember 100%) additives give the used oil a red tint after a certain amount of operating cycles.

It's probably just stuff suspended in the oil along with the additives and the way the light diffracts through it, makes it looks reddish, I noticed that when I check the dipstick of a car I put Mobil1 0w-40 in in the right light it looks greenish on the rag.

Every time I use amsoil in my wife’s Taurus with 3.5 Duratec it has a reddish color to it. I asked Amsoil about it and they said it was normal and is a chemical reaction from the detergents in the oil with some contaminate inside the engine.

Can't find the quote I referred to earlier^. I believe it was Gina from Pennzoil, but could be someone else from their team. If anyone finds it - feel free to add it here. But again, according to Pennzoil, it is the detergent/dispersant additives in the oil that give the oil a red hue, after some miles.

Here is a previous post.

How is an analysis a waste of money? If it says you can go 25% longer than you have been doing your OCI, it's going to pay for itself pretty fast, not to mention saving oil and time. Extrapolate that knowledge over say five years of ownership and that's a pretty good amount of money and time saved.

Back