Toddler Car Seat Debate: when to turn forward-facing?

Many states (including mine) require toddlers to be in a rear-facing car seat until the age of 2.

However, the recent trend is to keep toddlers in a rear-facing car seat until they "max out" the height/weight limit of their seat, which can be as high as 50 lbs in newer models. As a result, kids are sometimes rear-facing until they are 3-4 years of age.

Supposedly, there is data to suggest improved survivability in major accidents when toddlers remain in a rear-facing position.

I am interested in hearing how other parents have approached this issue.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
Transitioned not too long after 2, seems there was a weight or height minimum to turn around? I think that took a little bit after 2 to comfortably pass.

Kid is much happier and comfortable facing correct direction and that makes drives much more pleasant.

Last edited:
Transitioned between not too long after 2, seems there was a weight or height minimum to turn around?

Kid is much happier and comfortable facing correct direction and that makes drives much more pleasant.
Same.

As a result, kids are sometimes rear-facing until they are 3-4 years of age.
Ain't no way lol

Mine had no leg room or were way too big to be putting in and out of the carrier when they were two. They got switched right around that time.

My kids were also on the big side when born and as sturdy and a 3 month old.

Back around 2010 they were just changing the rule from one year to two.

Having them face forwards makes it much easier for the driver to keep an eye on them, which in its own right, adds safety.

If the statistics show it's safer to do so then I'd say it's a wise choice. follow any state laws too of course.

Ask the Grandpas for their opinion! There are tons of info on the parenting site on this very question. And state law trumps anything else.

I think the carseat rules are getting a bit out of hand now. Being in the backseat strapped to a carseat is probably safest anyone will ever be in a vehicle in their entire lives. But the comfort situation has to be livable.
And now you "need" an SUV because the front passenger seat is forbidden until age 12, so that's a wasted space. It's a hassle anchoring car seats in the rear, so the adult needs shoulder room, so they need a higher roof. Don't miss that stage of having kids!

I am interested in hearing how other parents have approached this issue.
My oldest is rear facing still at just under 3.5 years old. Our seat is rated rear facing up to 40lbs IIRC. She'll get turned around when she hits 40lbs. Same with the younger one.

Last edited:
My oldest is rear facing still at just under 3.5 years old. Our seat is rated rear facing up to 40lbs IIRC. She'll get turned around when she hits 40lbs. Same with the younger one.
How?! Either their knees are in their faces and they’re incredibly angry about it for every seat we’ve tried or the seat ends up so big and bulky that I can’t personally fit in front of it in the front seat while also totally blocking access to the 3rd row for my older boys.

All mine are front facing or in booster seats.

Ask the Grandpas for their opinion! There are tons of info on the parenting site on this very question. And state law trumps anything else.
As a parent of an 11 month old, current research I've seen supports rear facing for as long as feasible(basically as long as the car seat is rated for it and their legs aren't too scrunched up). There's also the fact that I'm married to a pediatric nurse who's seen the result of far too many car accidents.

I don't know when we'll turn around, but I can pretty much guarantee it's going to be after 2 years old...I don't know the rating on the seats we have but I do know that they should carry us through for a while as they will eventually convert to a booster.

We have tall kids. And we are tall... So rear-facing chid seats are horrible for (our) comfort.

Our kids stayed in until around 3.5. Its supposedly the best place as noted. Even though they are tall, they could cross their legs.

For our first, it was a matter of buying a new seat. Kind of arbitrary.

For our second, it was when they got the opportunity to sit in a forward facing seat like a bigger kid, and it was eye-opening.

For our third, who knows. I just hope they never reach 3.5 and time stands still...

How?! Either their knees are in their faces and they’re incredibly angry about it for every seat we’ve tried or the seat ends up so big and bulky that I can’t personally fit in front of it in the front seat while also totally blocking access to the 3rd row for my older boys.

Your kids must be >100th percentile. We have 100th percentile height kids and they were ok.

After they got really mobile we did remove shoes when in the car, to prevent dirt from getting on the seats...

Parents need to consider the toddler's physical development. Rear facing car seats prevent whiplash in small children who's neck isn't strong enough to support their head properly. If your child is small or slight you might want to keep them facing rearward longer than the magic 2 years. Yes you can get hit from behind but that must be a small percentage.

I worked with a man who's young son died of injuries sustained while in a forward facing car seat. I don't remember the details of the crash but it wasn't severe and wasn't his fault but having his son facing forward was his choice. This might have been before there were laws about it. He was absolutely crushed, heartbroken, blamed himself and I imagine to this day he's had a joyless existence.

Everything I have read it is supposed to be safer so she doesn't have an option. That said, she doesn't know any better I guess. 🤷‍♂️ She's tall(ish) - not 100th percentile but over 3 feet, maybe taller. Just crosses her legs or bends them or whatever to fit. Guessing when she ages out by weight and gets to turn around the younger may raise a stink about being rear facing but that hasn't happened yet.

To your other point, yeah - their seats are bulky. We have two sedans (Cruze and Cobalt) but we make it work. It's a tight but not impossible squeeze for me (5' 10").

Everything I have read it is supposed to be safer so she doesn't have an option. That said, she doesn't know any better I guess. 🤷‍♂️ She's tall(ish) - not 100th percentile but over 3 feet, maybe taller. Just crosses her legs or bends them or whatever to fit.
Thought of this thread as we were running around today. 39 inches and 32 pounds.
IMG_3413.jpeg

Everything we have is Graco and the use of a thin towel/blanket/etc laid flat under the car seat is explicitely permitted.

I don't in the MKZ because the seats were already not in the greatest shape. My wife has a thin flannel blanket in her Atlas. In all seriousness, we installed the car seat after she'd had the vehicle for 2-3 days(and as it turned out a week before little man was born, although that was a surprise). She bought it new and wanted to keep them as nice as possible, but if that hadn't been explicitly permitted it wouldn't have happened.

The slit for the car seat anchors, on every car where I've looked for them, is usually in the seat back(although the anchors themselves usually are roughly where the back and bottom meet). That means the blanket doesn't get in the way of hooking the seat onto the anchors, although it can be an issue for other passengers fastening their seat belts(just roll the blanket back a bit).

Back