Status
Not open for further replies.
Make/Model: Toyota Matrix
Year: 2005
Miles on Unit: 84,768
Miles on oil: 8,058
Months on oil: 9
Filter: Wix (Changed at 4,000)

A friend of mine recently sent in this sample. The only problem indicated is the silicon. My fried read somewhere that there is a problem with the gasket on the intake manifold that allows a small air leak especailly in the winter and we are suspecting that is the cause of the silicon. Also he swapped the oil filter half way through the oil change interval, wix filter used both times. Thoughts?

Comments from Blackstone:

Silicon was the only element reading out of line in the first sample from your Toyota 1.8L. As it
doesn't appear to be affecting wear, we doubt it is from a harmful source. All wear metals looks good,
reading at or close to universal averages. Those averages are based on 5,000 miles, so your 8,058-mile oil
run indicates your Matrix wears better than most. The TBN read 2.0, showing some active additive still
remained. A TBN of less than 1.0 is too low for extended use. We think you could easily take the next fill up
to 10,000 miles. Nice first report and nice engine!

Code:

Actual Universal Average

ALUMINUM 3 3

CHROMIUM 0 0

IRON 7 7

COPPER 1 2

LEAD 0 1

TIN 4 1

MOLYBDENUM 15 61

NICKEL 0 0

SILVER 0 0

TITANIUM 0 0

POTASSIUM 2 1

BORON 8 37

SILICON 23* 14

SODIUM 8 14

CALCIUM 3683 2258

MAGNESIUM 20 73

PHOSPHORUS 887 701

ZINC 1088 846

BARIUM 1 0

Actual Should be

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 56.5 55-62

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 9.21 8.8-11.1

Flashpoint in °F 375 >365

Fuel %
Antifreeze % 0.0 0.0

Water % 0.0
Insolubles % 0.3
TBN 2.0

I don't see the usual suspects here with silicon being present if it was an airborne abrasive. He's below the UA for most indicators..even with the higher mileage. Tin being the exception.

Was this his first or second use of Valvoline? What were other oils used in the past?

I take it that there was no make up oil involved.

I don't see anything wrong. Flash is acceptable, TBN held well for 9months/8k ..

this doesnt look like synpwer

synpower doesnt have tht much calcium and has 200-300 of sodium

Last edited:
Sorry guys I forgot to mention that his driving is about 60% short city trips 40% long highway. Also this run included one can of BG MOA added to the oil. And this is one of many intervals in a row using Valvoline Syn Power, not sure why this one doesn't have the typical sodium levels but I'm guessing the MOA could account for the extra calcium.

No make up oil.

BG MOA has a BOAT-LOAD of Ca detergent in it, so that explains the high Ca. It also has extra zinc in it, so that is higher as well.

With all this extra detergency, I'm really suprised TBN isn't higher - I'd expect plain Synpower to be down to 2 after 8k miles, but with the BG, I'd expect it to be much higher.

Still, wear numbers are good. Some of the silicon could be from the BG as anti-foam additive.

No, it's Synpower with an additive. Could be older Synpower before they used Na as a detergent.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
No, it's Synpower with an additive. Could be older Synpower before they used Na as a detergent.

That would be my guess.

Yes I can confirm that it's an older synpower. It's from about two years ago, maybe three. He and I loaded up on synthetic at a buy one get one free sale two or three years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back