Titanium liquid or ester base oil for a turbo modified engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Amenhotep
Honestly Redline oil is tricky to be found where I live. It's easier to buy Mobil, Castrol, Shell, Total, Cepsa, Repsol than Redline, Amsoil or Pennzoil. So I expect fellows from the other shore of Atlantic ocean would be able to advice you about that oil.

By the way, I would like to point out a problem small engine has .LSPI
So keep it mind when we select the oil.

lspi

LSPI ? Whats this and how it affects oil selection?

Originally Posted by ofelas
Wow. That's expensive!
eek.gif

How much are the other Castrols, Motul & Shell oils referenced a few posts above?

Yes, that IS a bunch of coin, as I just paid ~$46.00 USD for a 5L jug of Ravenol REP 5W-30, which is what, ~52 Euros?
21.gif

41 Euros = 46USD

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Wow. That's expensive!
eek.gif

How much are the other Castrols, Motul & Shell oils referenced a few posts above?

Yes, that IS a bunch of coin, as I just paid ~$46.00 USD for a 5L jug of Ravenol REP 5W-30, which is what, ~52 Euros?
21.gif

Originally Posted by Chris430s
Honestly Redline oil is tricky to be found where I live. It's easier to buy Mobil, Castrol, Shell, Total, Cepsa, Repsol than Redline, Amsoil or Pennzoil. So I expect fellows from the other shore of Atlantic ocean would be able to advice you about that oil.

By the way, I would like to point out a problem small engine has .LSPI
So keep it mind when we select the oil.

lspi

LSPI ? Whats this and how it affects oil selection?

The link is a youtube video. Which explains the problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV0pZhpNAKw

lspi video

To summarize
Acea A3/B3 seems to be bad as those oils have a high calcium level.

By the way. Castrol recommends 5w30 C3 for a M4, a car with a turbo direct injection high power engine.

Last edited:
41 Euros = 46USD

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Wow. That's expensive!
eek.gif

21.gif

Yeah, sorry, I multiplied when I should have DIVIDED (is the current exchange still ~ 1.13 USD to 1 Euro?).
33.gif

I believe you are correct.

Easy to get confused by these off brand currencies barking at us in a weird accent.

thanks for the info about LSPI on acea a3 oils but isn't it a bit suspicious that the guys explaining this and also presenting some oil analysis in relation to LSPI selling their own oil brand and by coincidence there oil performed n1 in their tests?

If the manufacturer recommends a3 spec oil and Its bad for my engine then why the manufacturer will recommend it? also if Acea a3 spec is bad for my engine what choice spec do I have?

Originally Posted by Chris430s
thanks for the info about LSPI on acea a3 oils but isn't it a bit suspicious that the guys explaining this and also presenting some oil analysis in relation to LSPI selling their own oil brand and by coincidence there oil performed n1 in their tests?

If the manufacturer recommends a3 spec oil and Its bad for my engine then why the manufacturer will recommend it? also if Acea a3 spec is bad for my engine what choice spec do I have?

I searched at Total and Castrol web site for a DS3 165, engine EP6CDTM. Both recommend and acea C2 for your original engine. Even a searched at Total for the M4 oil. Again a C3. So the pattern is low saps oils

Of course, in that kind of videos you should avoid the marketing comments.

Last edited:
Yes but as I mention in the begining of this threat...the OEM manufacturer recommended oil is based on a standard factory engine producing 155bhp

My engine produces 237bhp with stock internals so there is a lot more heat and stress on the internals that's why I stopped using the total oil and went for (maybe a bad choice) the ardeca 5w30 with double ester

Looking for a higher performance oil for example redline 5w30 ester or Castrol edge with titanium liquid or motul 8100 etec be a better choice for better protection to my modified engine?

Here is the VOA of the redline

Redline 5w30 VOA

I think you sould read it. Page 2 it's very interesting regarding LSPI.

I perfectly know you tune your engine and as I told you I would try to use a "low sap" oil as your car is DI. But that Readline has Moly and big amout of zddp so it could be a great choice and more reliable than the ardeca

Here is the VOA of the redline

Redline 5w30 VOA

I think you sould read it. Page 2 it's very interesting regarding LSPI.

I perfectly know you tune your engine and as I told you I would try to use a "low sap" oil as your car is DI. But that Readline has Moly and big amout of zddp so it could be a great choice and more reliable than the ardeca

Thank you for your reply
Is that the oil the analysis is referring to:

https://www.redlineoil.com/5w30-motor-oil

Originally Posted by Popsy
It has many approvals but like 0% ester, not titanium, if that's you're looking for.

I am looking for a good oil if ester and titanium will give me better protection or a good oil with many approvals with out ester or titanium i dont mind
As long as i have the best possible protection for my engine

I'd use some Motul 300V 5W40 in that engine, but then again, I can get it for fairly cheap so to me it's a relatively obvious choice. You're in the UK so it will both fit the climate and probably price too.
The 300V 10W40 has a higher HTHS than the 5W40, but I don't think that's necessary.

I'd definitely up the viscosity to a 40 grade... cheaper than 300V you can get the Motul X-Cess or the Total Quartz Energy 9000 5W40 which are usually cheapish (in Europe). Both "standard" oils with many manufacturers approvals.

Want something fancier? 300V, Redline... no opinion since the engine isn't stock, apart from look at fuel dilution and timing chain.

Want to stay with a C3 oil ? I don't know why they ask for a C3 oil...maybe to standardize oils stocks with the diesel engines?
If you really want a C3 you have the Total Quartz 9000 in 0W30, which is a A3/B4 with SAPS on the low side, or the Total Ineo first 0W30 which has a good dose of moly. And no, I don't have shares in Total, lol !

You could have mentioned the hotter climate right from the get go
coffee2.gif

Sorry for forgetting to mention it...i uploaded a photo from my car's owner manual from oil recommendations

Definitely a 40 grade then. Quartz 9000 energy 5W40 ("energy" is important) gets my vote, otherwise Motul 300V if price is no object.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back