Titanium liquid or ester base oil for a turbo modified engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Chris430s
I am a bit confused now...
First i am looking for the best value for money oil as i believe in a modofied engine you must not look for discounts-cheap engine oil but for one that can give the best protection-performance and keep the engine clean
My engine is the same as the n14 (not n18) in mini cars

Ester base oils are not group iv or v?
Also nobody giving any credit to ardeca 5w30 or 5w40 pure sport double ester ? --is it better to avoid this oil then?

Many here pick oil based on the specs that the oil meets. If an oil meets the most stringent VW, BMW, Porsche, MB specs, it doesn't matter if it's made with ester, PAO, GTL, or all of the above.
55.gif

Ah. The range of oil within a certain spec aside, "oil is oil" ?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by bluesubie
If an oil meets the most stringent VW, BMW, Porsche, MB specs, it doesn't matter if it's made with ester, PAO, GTL, or all of the above.
55.gif

Originally Posted by Amenhotep
Your engine internal are stock. So your engine internal has been designed to a 5w30. You even installed an oil cooler.
No, his BMEP is higher with that tune. Torque is increased over an RPM range. Higher forces on the rods, higher loads. Needs slightly thicker oil.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Your engine internal are stock. So your engine internal has been designed to a 5w30. You even installed an oil cooler.
No, his BMEP is higher with that tune. Torque is increased over an RPM range. Higher forces on the rods, higher loads. Needs slightly thicker oil.

I agreed with you in the increase of forces but I don't think that cars needs a thicker oil. The op described how he use the car. Unless he notice a temperature increase I don't get the point of using a 5w40 over a 5w30

I respect your opinion even though

Last edited:
I agreed with you in the increase of forces but I don't think that cars needs a thicker oil. The op described how he use the car. Unless he notice a temperature increase I don't get the point of using a 5w40 over a 5w30

The goal is to keep the following value about the same for the higher-force (torque) tunes:
.... Keeping this constant: ---> speed x viscosity / load , where "speed" is RPM engine rev, viscosity is how thick the oil is, and load is related to BMEP or engine torque.
If you increase viscosity it keeps the "visc/load" part constant. Higher loads are countered by higher viscosity,
Another factor is higher piston heat in performance tunes, which creates more localized heat around the rings, regardless of oil cooler which is located elsewhere on the engine.
[Linked Image]

I am a bit confused now...
First i am looking for the best value for money oil as i believe in a modofied engine you must not look for discounts-cheap engine oil but for one that can give the best protection-performance and keep the engine clean
My engine is the same as the n14 (not n18) in mini cars

Ester base oils are not group iv or v?
Also nobody giving any credit to ardeca 5w30 or 5w40 pure sport double ester ? --is it better to avoid this oil then?

It's easy to get confused by the base oil fanatics here on this site. You'll find all they have to offer is opinion.

Want best value for the money? Find the cheapest oil with the appropriate manufacturer approvals. For you, probably Shell Helix Ultra. You have the N14 engine (same family as N18... Prince), which I believe which should spec BMW LL-04 or LL-01. Plenty to choose from. Oil choice is simple. Don't over-complicate it.

Last edited:

The goal is to keep the following value about the same for the higher-force (torque) tunes:
.... Keeping this constant: ---> speed x viscosity / load , where "speed" is RPM engine rev, viscosity is how thick the oil is, and load is related to BMEP or engine torque.
If you increase viscosity it keeps the "visc/load" part constant. Higher loads are countered by higher viscosity,
Another factor is higher piston heat in performance tunes, which creates more localized heat around the rings, regardless of oil cooler which is located elsewhere on the engine.
[Linked Image]

+1
.. and the Ti will improve lambda ratio shifting towards the right whilst providing lowering of CoF.

Ok..so no more ardeca 5w30 on my car then even if they advertise it as double ester..💪

Castrol 5w30 titanium liquid then? Its not a cheap oil selling at around 80 euros in my country for 5lt but if it can give max protection -clean engine valves to my engine i dont mind paying this money

Wow. That's expensive!
eek.gif

How much are the other Castrols, Motul & Shell oils referenced a few posts above?

Motul is about 10 euro more expensive (v300 racing oil)
Shell oils are cheaper than castrol but i dont mind spending around 80euro for a high quality oil
By the way a few mechanics also suggested me to go for a 5w40 oil but the oil rep from castrol suggested me to stick with 5w30 as the 5w40 might drop my bhp-performance of my engine and also form sludge in the valves (no idea why a thicker oil can drop bhp-torque)

[Linked Image]

Do you think while commuting the cars rev are going to be so high to be in the boundary zone?.

If the OP had told us he use the car in tracks days every single weekend I would advice him to use the 5w40

Motul is about 10 euro more expensive (v300 racing oil)
Shell oils are cheaper than castrol but i dont mind spending around 80euro for a high quality oil
By the way a few mechanics also suggested me to go for a 5w40 oil but the oil rep from castrol suggested me to stick with 5w30 as the 5w40 might drop my bhp-performance of my engine and also form sludge in the valves (no idea why a thicker oil can drop bhp-torque)

Thicker oil generate a higher resistance to movement, so less bhp performance.

Ok..so no more ardeca 5w30 on my car then even if they advertise it as double ester..💪

Castrol 5w30 titanium liquid then? Its not a cheap oil selling at around 80 euros in my country for 5lt but if it can give max protection -clean engine valves to my engine i dont mind paying this money

I found info about the ardeca 5w30

Oil-club.de Ardeca 5w30

And the MSDS

Arderca 5w30 msds

This base oil, Lubricating oils (petroleum ), C20-50, hydrotreated neutral is the one you can find at Castrol Edge products.

Oil-club.de Ardeca 5w30

And the MSDS

Arderca 5w30 msds

This base oil, Lubricating oils (petroleum ), C20-50, hydrotreated neutral is the one you can find at Castrol Edge products.

Thanks for the reply this is the oil i ve used for about 16months (2 oil changes on my car)
So the guys at the forum are saying that this is a good or bad oil for modified turbo engines?
Also are if.you are suggesting that the base oil is the same as in castrol edge why not go for the ardeca that has the benefit of double ester as well?

Also are if.you are suggesting that the base oil is the same as in castrol edge why not go for the ardeca that has the benefit of double ester as well?

Because it apparently has zero approvals and certifications despite trying to appear as though it does. It certainly doesn't have any of the Mercedes Benz ones, it's not dexos 2 licensed and It isn't even licensed SN. Therefore the performance level is completely up to your interpretation and you have no verifiable evidence of anything. Even the grade designation appears to be bogus, it says SAE but the numbering system is incorrect for an SAE grade since there is no "SAE 5W30" oil.

Yet another unethical oil blender working to deceive the consumer and apparently a particularly egregious one.

Originally Posted by kschachn
So the guys at the forum are saying that this is a good or bad oil for modified turbo engines?

You tell us, it apparently has zero approvals and certifications despite trying to appear as though it does. It certainly doesn't have any of the Mercedes Benz ones, it's not dexos 2 licensed and It isn't even licensed SN. Therefore the performance level is completely up to your interpretation and you have no verifiable evidence of anything. Even the grade designation appears to be bogus, it says SAE but the numbering system is incorrect for an SAE grade since there is no "SAE 5W30" oil.

Yet another unethical oil blender working to deceive the consumer and apparently a particularly egregious one.

Unbelievable what the marketing people can do for an oil
smile.gif
thanks for the info appreciated

Oil-club.de Ardeca 5w30

And the MSDS

Arderca 5w30 msds

Thanks for the reply this is the oil i ve used for about 16months (2 oil changes on my car)

From the msds sheet it seems a nice oil but I am not sure if there is ester or just marketing.

If you read oil club.de link Noack value was 11.6 and MB 229.51 set that value under 10%. There isn't a VOA, so we must relay on the marketing.....which usually lie.

I think you need to use a oil with a good additive packege but due to the lack of data I am not sure if that oil has it.

You invest a lot of money in the car to just save 20 pounds in a oil change

Last edited:
Totally agree oil is the blood to an engine and in my case a modofied-higher performance that stock engine needs a very good oil

Nobody mention the redline 5w30 ester oil? Not very good oil?

Honestly Redline oil is tricky to be found where I live. It's easier to buy Mobil, Castrol, Shell, Total, Cepsa, Repsol than Redline, Amsoil or Pennzoil. So I expect fellows from the other shore of Atlantic ocean would be able to advice you about that oil.

By the way, I would like to point out a problem small engine has .LSPI
So keep it mind when we select the oil.

lspi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back