Titanium liquid or ester base oil for a turbo modified engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello
I am new here and dont know much about oils as all oils in the description "provide maximum protection give the best engine performance and also provide excellent gold start and excellent heat protection "

The facts:
Car: citroen ds3 1.6 turbo petrol engine giving 155bhp
Recommended oil: total 5w30 full synthetic api c3/ sl
Additional info: i have modified my engine giving 237bhp now..bigger intercooler-turbo-exhaust-ecu remap..all internals are Stock
Climate: hot summer with dust...winter temps never below 4-5degrees celcium

I tried the ardeca 5w30 pure sport double ester full synthetic oil for better protection as its an ester oil...i didnt had any issues and also didnot had to topup my oil
A local oil shop recommended me the castrol edge 5w30 full synthetic titanium liquid (which is not ester) as the ideal oil for my engine
Also my driving is city drive...high speed highway and sometimes spirited drive in b roads but am not doing any track or racing

I dont know if the titanium liquid castrol will be a better choice than the double ester ardeca for me?

With a modified engine, more power like yours, it would run hotter. Ideal is going to a 5w40 with all the German specs (VW, Mercedes, Porsche). They have been tested to the highest performance standards on the planet, and going a little extra thicker keeps you on the right part of Stribeck Curve for wear protection.
I recommend you be guided by the toughest specs and not what an oil is made of. Any 5w40 German spec oil will do. In the UK, I'm assuming Motul, Total, Mobil1, Castrol is there, all have 5w40 oils.

Thanks but my question is is it better to continue with the ardeca that is double easter? Or go with the castrol edge which is titanium liquid but not ester?
*both are full synthetic and have 5w40 as well

The answer oil_film_movies gave you is the correct one.

What exactly do you get from an oil that has "titanium liquid" and/or "ester base" that is more significant than demonstrated compliance with demanding OEM specifications?

If Citroen only recommends 5w30 C3/SL I would use the Total 5w30 Ineo Long Life that has VW 504 and MB 229.51 approval. Minimu HTHS of 3.5, good enough for the Huracan Performante.

+1 for a VW 504 specification 5w30, that is a really tough spec. The best thing you could do, since you have a uniquely modified engine, is to try a good quality oil like that and have it analysed when you've used it, then seek advice based on the results.

titanium is just an additive important but real synthetic base oils like Ester is the best for higher heat or cold but of course you pay for it.

@ofelas unfortunately no oil temperature gauge but I have also added an oil cooler from a mini cooper s r56 (same engine) to my car
@dailydriver what exactly do you mean by direct injected only? its a petrol turbo charged injection engine same engine as in the mini cooper s r56 and Peugeot 207gt/gti

Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 without a doubt. It's a Group 3+/GTL based oil.

It's an ACEA A3/B4 lube with BMW LL01 and Porsche A40 approval, it's even approved by Ferrari if that means anything.

I just managed to pick up 5 litres from Euro Car Parts for £19.87 with a discount code. You can get it for under £30 in most places. It's great value for money.

Alternatively, another favourite of mine is Fuchs Titan GT1 XTL 5w40. Group 3 based oil that means ACEA C3 with approvals such as LL04, Porsche A40, MB 229.31 & 226.5, VW 502/505 etc.

Last edited:
I am a bit confused now...
First i am looking for the best value for money oil as i believe in a modofied engine you must not look for discounts-cheap engine oil but for one that can give the best protection-performance and keep the engine clean
My engine is the same as the n14 (not n18) in mini cars

Ester base oils are not group iv or v?
Also nobody giving any credit to ardeca 5w30 or 5w40 pure sport double ester ? --is it better to avoid this oil then?

Originally Posted by Chris430s
First i am looking for the best value for money oil as i believe in a modofied engine you must not look for discounts-cheap engine oil but for one that can give the best protection-performance and keep the engine clean
My engine is the same as the n14 (not n18) in mini cars

Ester base oils are not group iv or v?
Also nobody giving any credit to ardeca 5w30 or 5w40 pure sport double ester ? --is it better to avoid this oil then?

I must admit I've never heard of them but a very quick browse through their website shows very few approvals and they do seem to play hard and fast with some of the specifications they list under their 'performance profile'.

Such performance is demonstrated by stringent approvals and specs, not base stock babble.

..... one that can give the best protection-performance and keep the engine clean
My engine is the same as the n14 (not n18) in mini carsEster base oils are not group iv or v?

You could use https://www.motul.com/us/en-US/products/7100-4t-5w40 ester Group 5) 4-stroke motorcycle oil that has the SN rating for cars. That is great for extremely high temperatures.
You can always trust VW & Mercedes approved 5w40, yet for extra high temperature protection, all-POE (ester) oil with the SN rating will work. Motul engineers it to survive motorcyle hot spots inside the engine.

Last edited:
Your engine internal are stock. So your engine internal has been designed to a 5w30. You even installed an oil cooler.

Did you see your coolant temp going up? I mean over the average 90-100C when driving fast and b roads. Likely not. So I would keep using a 5w30.

As for the oil you are using I don't know it. So I don't know if it's an ester oil or not.

As for the liquid Titanium, Castrol use it on theirs oils. I read tribological papers regarding TIO2 nanoparticles which show a reduction in the wear.

I use Castrol in my cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back