Tires with really odd tread damage, mainly on the inner half of the tread. Shearing?

We see this a lot on tires thst spend too much time on rough concrete road surfaces. Such surfaces are common in the Caribbean… not the standard concrete highways and roads on the USA.

I suspect this truck spent time on primitive concrete roads.
This! My FWD CRV with everything original in it came brand new with Japan made Bridgestone tires. We don't ever drive above 60 mph nor on gravel roads. We drive on concrete (which is usually smooth surfaced but occasionally rough) and good asphalt streets. 5-tire rotations every 7000 miles. Never under inflated, and I keep to 30-34 psi. Suspension and tire alignment are good. Now has 43k miles. 7000 miles ago, I noticed some tire tread condition similar to OP's pattern but only 25% damage compared to his. The center of the treads are normal looking. It's at both inner and outer shoulders, and worse at the rear, nondriven tires. Methinks it's due to the tire tread compounds. It doesn't happen to our other cars, which are driven similarly to this CRV.

Allow me to expand on my answer above:

OE tires are generally designed to consume less energy than regular tires. They do that by sacrificing treadwear and/or traction, especially wet traction. That's because the car manufacturers, which write the specs for their tires, don't care about tire wear, but can sell more vehicles if they can advertise better fuel economy. Part of what comes along with that sacrifice is some other desirable properties such as tear resistance - which is what this thread is all about.

Regular tires (Aftermarket) are designed by the tire manufacturers, and they know that the type of wear shown above is totally unacceptable to consumers, so they chose tread compounds that don't do that.

Allow me to expand on my answer above:

OE tires are generally designed to consume less energy than regular tires. They do that by sacrificing treadwear and/or traction, especially wet traction. That's because the car manufacturers, which write the specs for their tires, don't care about tire wear, but can sell more vehicles if they can advertise better fuel economy. Part of what comes along with that sacrifice is some other desirable properties such as tear resistance - which is what this thread is all about.

Regular tires (Aftermarket) are designed by the tire manufacturers, and they know that the type of wear shown above is totally unacceptable to consumers, so they chose tread compounds that don't do that.

Ive seen this with quality aftermarket tires that see very rough concrete and gravel surfaces.

In the first picture you can see the wheelwell, frame and brake parts are crusty with dirt and rust. That trucks been on a lot of unpaved roads.

Chunking from driving on gravel. 2017 cooper ATP

A lot of new off-road tires are advertised as chunk resistant

IMG_20240409_073134516_HDR.jpg

we see this on any and all tires we place on our fleet vehicles that see tons of gravel and offroad. truck doesn't have to be driven fast on gravel to do this to soft rubber and these trucks had body colored bedliner sprayed on the rockers and behind the rear tires to prevent the rock chipping.

Back