Looking for tire experts: motorcycle bead damage during dismount

Hello!

I have changed a few tires myself now (by hand and with the Rabaconda machine ) and am gaining an impression that dismounting tires to use again is a bad practice since bead damage is very likely: especially on a motorcycle.

Any tire experts out there? If the bead’s primary role to seal to the tire in a tubeless application, would a knick from a spoon like this be any cause of concern IF it seals well? In this particular case the rest of the bead is absolutely mint, this was the first bite in the dismount to get up and over the machines duckhead. (Tire was warm, soap and water and spoon was greased up)

What would be the failure mode? Of it doesn’t leak, what would be the worry?

If there is no damage to cord or fabric and outer rubber alone is damaged, is there any cause for alarm? Is this purely superficial ? How can one tell if it’s time to trash due to damage?

Long story short, I got the machine to change to and from street to off-road biased tires and am wondering if remounting motorcycle tires is a poor practice…. Or maybe I just suck : )

P.s. the photo with the pic shows the max depth… stuck it in as far and as deep it would go. Appears to be very superficial but I am still sweating reusing the tire.

Thanks!

6994632D-697C-49DB-A50F-2976458162E9.jpeg
86232B01-26B2-4214-82B3-AA1F375895DD.jpeg
8F1C37FC-5624-4CE2-A332-227933AAB208.jpeg
AD02D948-555A-4BDF-B8EF-24C9B6DA7F7A.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've done much worse on car tires and it held.

You are correct that every mount/ dismount is risky.

Think of the shops that have done this, 1000s of times, and sent people on their way, unawares.

The bead should not be damaged if the tire is mounted and unmounted properly. You'll get better at it as you do more tires and there are lots of videos on YouTube.

One of the keys is to make sure that the bead on the opposite side is in the "drop center" of the rim when dismounting. That being said, I would personally not have a problem using that tire but I won't go so far as to suggest that you should.

The bead should not be damaged if the tire is mounted and unmounted properly. You'll get better at it as you do more tires and there are lots of videos on YouTube.

One of the keys is to make sure that the bead on the opposite side is in the "drop center" of the rim when dismounting. That being said, I would personally not have a problem using that tire but I won't go so far as to suggest that you should.

I actually used a machine for this. It’s manual but at least removes a lot of variables for human error. When you take the first spoon to move it over the duck head, there is actually a lever on the opposite side to ensure the rest of the tire is in the drop center. I did this and still got deformation on the tire.

For the record this particular wheel is a nightmare to change. Some shops have a policy where they don’t touch them (cycle gear is one). The geometry makes it very unfriendly to tire changing which I believe stems from the spoked yet tubeless design. I’ll attach photos.

Attachments

• A300DFB6-CD03-41E9-A4EF-4F7AC9CBCB46.jpeg
    A300DFB6-CD03-41E9-A4EF-4F7AC9CBCB46.jpeg
    174.3 KB · Views: 8
  • BF72FB12-F25D-4F75-A7DE-C0E5F69219DD.jpeg
    BF72FB12-F25D-4F75-A7DE-C0E5F69219DD.jpeg
    201.4 KB · Views: 8
I've done much worse on car tires and it held.

You are correct that every mount/ dismount is risky.

Think of the shops that have done this, 1000s of times, and sent people on their way, unawares.

You’re probably right; that this happens all the time to no notice or effect.

Because it’s a motorcycle and there’s a little more severity if the tire fails, I’m looking for a balanced look at it. It’s not like those little knicks are gonna lead to catastrophic tears? I think The only real risk is compromising the seal of the bead….
But then again I have limited knowledge of the the composition of tires.

the bead itself is metal wire.. the rubber is just a sealing surface.

problem with motorcycle tires is a flat can be disastrous, so people tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to tires and maybe they should.

I think you are going to have trouble getting the tire to seal. I don't think bead sealer is going to help.

But since it's just your own time wasted trying to use this tire, why not try it. The only danger is that it won't seal. Be sure to ride it a bit to be sure it isn't leaking. Tires flex a lot and that flexing might reveal a leak. Better to know when you are expecting a problem and are in a position to deal with it!

And the word of warning is that the tire could fail just like a leaky tire would, Be sure to check your pressure regularly!

If those are BMW GS wheels then the key is to use a lot of lube, be certain to get the bead into the drop center, and take it slow and steady. Never force the tire where it doesn't want to go.

That tire should be fine to use unless you bent the wire bead. The minor damage to the rubber shouldn't cause any issues.

If there is no damage to the bead wire (they are pretty tough, try sectioning an old tyre, it's not easy) couldn't you install a tube to be on the safe side. Fitting a tube is usually reckoned to lower the speed rating one notch due to the increased production of heat. Seating the bead of a tubeless tyre might be harder with tube fitted so use a good lube.

If those are BMW GS wheels then the key is to use a lot of lube, be certain to get the bead into the drop center, and take it slow and steady. Never force the tire where it doesn't want to go.

That tire should be fine to use unless you bent the wire bead. The minor damage to the rubber shouldn't cause any issues.
Nice , you’re exactly right, they are from my 1250 GSA. Now you know why I got a machine! Have you ever changed one?

I am confident that the bead is absolutely fine. I didn’t really have to ever force it too much when the surface tears happened. The tire has no visible whoop or bend to it.

What I am gathering is the only risk is a leak and therefore a blow out from an under deflated tire. That makes sense to me . Luckily this bike has TPMS which provides an extra layer of detection.

What do you all think about mounting and dismounting tires multiple times? Let’s even say for a car (think summer and winter wheels). Isn’t it a better practice to get dedicated wheels. Not for obvious convenience but for the wear and tear on the bead?

Mounting and dismounting is a wear & tear item and should be minimized.

The worst scenario are police depts and taxi fleets who'll mount snows for every big storm, then go back to regular highway tires.

I am confident that the bead is absolutely fine. I didn’t really have to ever force it too much when the surface tears happened. The tire has no visible whoop or bend to it.

What I am gathering is the only risk is a leak and therefore a blow out from an under deflated tire. That makes sense to me . Luckily this bike has TPMS which provides an extra layer of detection.

What do you all think about mounting and dismounting tires multiple times? Let’s even say for a car (think summer and winter wheels). Isn’t it a better practice to get dedicated wheels. Not for obvious convenience but for the wear and tear on the bead?
My GS is older but I have changed many dozens of tires on my bikes over the years on my No-Mar. Repeated mounting and dismounting won't hurt a tire to a point, there are guys at bike shows that demonstrate their tire machines on the same tire a hundred times or more. I wouldn't want to use one of those on my bike because after that many mountings the bead has been stretched and I would not trust it.

There are other factors too. Changing a tire that sat in the sun for an hour on a warm summer day is going to be a lot easier to deal with than one from an unheated garage on a cold New England winter morning. Good luck.

My GS is older but I have changed many dozens of tires on my bikes over the years on my No-Mar. Repeated mounting and dismounting won't hurt a tire to a point, there are guys at bike shows that demonstrate their tire machines on the same tire a hundred times or more. I wouldn't want to use one of those on my bike because after that many mountings the bead has been stretched and I would not trust it.

There are other factors too. Changing a tire that sat in the sun for an hour on a warm summer day is going to be a lot easier to deal with than one from an unheated garage on a cold New England winter morning. Good luck.
You mention the last variable or lever I think I still have available: heat. Although I warmed up the tire it was maybe 80°F? It was much warmer than my New England garage but not HOT. I think that may make a difference.
Thanks

Back