Tire Sidewall Treatments

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWS

Here is some info that I find rather surprising:

--> My e-mail to Michelin 01-Jul-2004 I just had my tires rotated and in talking with my tire dealer, he mentioned that Michelin has a rather strong position against tire sidewall treatments, especially Armor-All. However, he did say that there is one product that Michelin does allow, but could not remember which one it was. Can you please send me addtional information on this topic? I have 2 cars, both have X-One tires with Dura-black. Thanks!

--> Michelin's Response 02-Jul-2004 We recommend using a soft brush and mild soap to clean tires. Tire dressings that contain petroleum products, alcohol or silicones can accelerate the aging process and contribute to cracking.

Michelin does not endorse the use of after-market conditioners. The effects of such products are unknown as it would be impossible to test all of the products on the market today.

You can use 303 protectant or the new Michelin line of tire and wheel products. Both are water based since they will not harm the protective polymer coating on the tire.

For years, I've done my tires with a stiff brush and a heavy dose of the same detergent I use to wash the car. This seems to remove both the accumulated dirt/brake dust and the oxidized layer of rubber, leaving a very nice natural new tire look. I've tried various different tire potions, and never found one that does a better job producing the natural new tire look. Of course, subjectively, I personally dislike the over-glossy greased tire look.

Same here - I just wash the tires with the same car shampoo that I use on the rest of the car. I guess I grew out of the wet/black/greasy tire look.
smile.gif

I used to coat my tires with Armor-All way back when, before I knew better. And it did result in massive spiderweb cracks all over the sidewalls.
frown.gif

Then I used Meguiar's Endurance Tire Gel, which does not contain silicone, so it should not do any harm, but like I said, I don't even use that anymore. Just soap and water.

303 Protectant is an excellent product. However, it will only give you a moderate shine.

Check out the web site for free and low priced samples.

I like 3M Rubber Treatment & Tire Dressing & also One Grand Exterior Rubber & Vinyl Dressing. They leave the tire black and clean - no gloss. 3M seems to last a little longer though. If you've used other oily products, it will make your tires a little splotchy until all the old product is pulled out and removed.

Bridgestone/Firestone regional engineering rep i spoke to say that tire cleaners break down the carbon composition of the tire.

Best solution, soap and water.

I will note certain companies notable Michelin, Bridgestone/Firestone do in some lines use this high tech "long-life black" Carbon compound...it keeps them looking pretty in addition to ozone and weathering resistance.

Food for thought from the dogs mouth.

I've been using Armor All on my tires since 1986 with no problems. Although I never have a set of tires for more than 2 or 3 years on any of my vehicles, I wear out the tread (or trade the car or decide to try different tires) long before then.

quote:

Originally posted by VaderSS:
From this link;
http://www.rvamerica.com/rvlife/buz2.htm

303 is the thing to use. Armor-all and other "protectants" actually strip a tire of it's designed-in protectants.

That said, I've been using Meguiar's tire dressing for years, though like Patman, my tires don't live long wnough for dry-rot to set in...

Armor-all used to strip protectants bc it contained petroleum distillates(u should never put this chemical that some products use on a tire if want to keep you warranty). The regular armour all(original) does not contain any petroleum distillates. Sure, its not the best stuff, but it will do the job(especially wheel wells). Other good ones are no touch tire spray(the non petro distillate), 303(my favorite), vinylex, and meguairs natural shine.

I've always used Armor All after cleaning them with Westley's, probably for 25 years (I'm older than you'd guess
wink.gif
) Before Armor All was invented we used Pledge furniture polish. Looks nice too and gives a softer shine than Armor All. Then there's my dad, who is always trying some new "ultimate shine" crap on his Caddy's tires which proceeds to streak and get slung all over the rims and fenders.
rolleyes.gif
At least it has plain whitewalls and not Vogues.
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

I never had this problem before, but now that I own a black car, my armor all ends up getting all over the sides of my car after putting it on the tires, even though I rub it into the tire real good with a sponge (and I don't lay it on too thick either)

So now I need to find either a new method of doing it, or a new product entirely. Maybe I'll try watering down the armor all in a 50/50 mix.

I clean mine with simple green and a "faux" steel wool pad. It works well, the regular shampoo won't cut it.

Then I cover with a one step tire shine to keep them clean. It seams to work.
dunno.gif

Is the whole issue with tire shines an old problem that no longer occurs with newer forumlas?

-T

i like stoner's "more shine less time" it's by far the easiest to apply. i perfer just a nice clean look as opposed to the greasy super shiny look.
i have applied all sorts of stuff to tires and have never had issues with the tires rotting or known of anyone who has. i can just imagine "i only got 10 years and 50,000 miles out of these tires, i think the armor all i sprayed on them for 10 years cut their life a little short"
has anyone seen tire cleaners/dressings ruin a tire?

dunlop also specifically states to use mild cleaners on sidewalls

Don't know where I read this ... brown tires are caused by a chemical reaction between the atmosphere and tire treatment products ... at least that's the gist of it. According to the article tire treatment products that are silicon based cause this effect, water-based products won't cause tires to brown. Article even recommended only cleaning tires with cleaner like simple green and not applying treatment. For years I too suffered from brown tires, after reading this article my tire cleaning routine involves 1. applying simple green; 2. scrubbing tires with brush 3. after drying applying final dressing of simple green. Been doing this for years and tires always look like new. For a little extra shine I'll apply Meguiars Natural Shine vinyl protectant, water-based product, never causes tires to "brown".

i have a whole tub of tire care products that i've stopped using. they were all petroleum based and were slung off everywhere.

meguires tire shine (purple gel)
black magic silicone spray (nice smell)
etc...

not the best stuff to use.

now that i have new tires i've started using 303 protectant and couldn't be happier. i can spray the tires and wheels.

if you use westleys bleech white, stop. it's bad for your tires.

I previously used Meguiars Endurance "High Gloss" tyre gel, but it "slung" everywhere and left a greasy film on paintwork that can only be removed with polish.

I now use the regular, non-gloss Endurance gel and it does not sling at all.

i like to use a product called Long Haul. its made for truckers. you can check them out at autozone. they make several products. ive used them all and i can truly say they work great. they have wax, tire cond, degreasser, wash, metal polish, etc.
another thing about Long Haul is that if you dont like it, you can get your money back.
before i go, one more point is at autozone they have a sample pack of about 4 or 5 products for about $5.00. they are around 3oz. i think. try some out. im a trucker so i like things that are easy to use and last. no one likes to wax a rig very often if ya know what i mean. haha good day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back