Brown tire "blooming"

Hey guys:

So I'm not exactly a huge car detailer - so need some help.

My tires look really bad - they have the brown "bloom" discussed in this thread:

I don't want shiny tires - I actually dislike it. I tried an armor all product and a scrub brush, which seemed to remove a ton of brown. But when dry, they still look brown.

Is there a product that sits between full on mirror glaze, and doo-doo brown?

303 Protectant? It's pricy...

Thanks.

Last edited:
Have you tried Simple Green Pro HD? It’s what I use on my tires and wheels.

I would also vote Simple Green^^^^. Would be worth a shot. I've been using it on truck tires for years when I prep for a show. And I'm talking dump trucks that see hundreds of miles of gravel each day.

Not sure why I didn't think of that.... I even have some in the garage - so the price is right.

Not sure why I didn't think of that.... I even have some in the garage - so the price is right.
Yep, the purple clolored Pro HD does a really good job on tires and wheels. It doesn’t have to sit on there very long. Also, use a decent brush and rinse well.

Doesn't simple green oxidize AL? If I had aluminum rims, I would shy away from SG.
Right off of the product description for Simple Green Pro HD
  • Professional grade concentrated cleaner and degreaser
  • Cuts through tough grease, eliminates grime and removes stains
  • Cleans engines, car exteriors, tools, machinery, and more
  • Concentrated formula can be diluted for specific cleaning jobs
  • Can use in pressure washers, carpet cleaners, and other equipment
  • Cleans brake dust, transmission fluids, oil, and other grime
  • Use on motorcycles, trucks, boats, RVs, ATVs, and other vehicles
  • Optimized for use on metals

Right off of the product description for Simple Green Pro HD
  • Professional grade concentrated cleaner and degreaser
  • Cuts through tough grease, eliminates grime and removes stains
  • Cleans engines, car exteriors, tools, machinery, and more
  • Concentrated formula can be diluted for specific cleaning jobs
  • Can use in pressure washers, carpet cleaners, and other equipment
  • Cleans brake dust, transmission fluids, oil, and other grime
  • Use on motorcycles, trucks, boats, RVs, ATVs, and other vehicles
  • Optimized for use on metals

...and where does it say safe for AL?
Unless they have changed their formula, Simple Green does oxidize AL in my experience...although I have not used it in about 10 years due to previous experience, so the formula may have changed.

I used the Turtle wax wheel and tire cleaner in the green bottle and had outstanding results on two cars. One car I gave up on a figured it was a General tire thing, as I put those tires on and never used tire treatment.

I sprayed it on and scrubbed the tire with a tire specific brush. The white suds turned black and sprayed off to leave a clean tire behind. I have not done a second cleaning yet, but look forward to when I do.

I find this to happen with age & exposure to the sun.

I use meguire endurance tyre shine to reduce the above. Yes you get shiny tires. I recommend wiping over with a cloth after application to recude this. Nevertheless, the shine will go away after few days when some of the product has been absorbed by the rubber and some worn away.
Compared to other tyre shine or rubber trim restorer, the above pruduct is long lasting and makes a difference

...and where does it say safe for AL?
Unless they have changed their formula, Simple Green does oxidize AL in my experience...although I have not used it in about 10 years due to previous experience, so the formula may have changed.
I use the Simple Green Pro HD on the tires and wheels on both of my cars and it hasn’t dulled the finish or caused any corrosion to our painted alloy rims. I also don’t leave it on for very long.
Look, I’m not talking about the original Green colored Simple Green or any other version other than the Pro HD.
If you want to argue about it, fine. I’m not going to continue to go round and round with you.

I use the Simple Green Pro HD on the tires and wheels on both of my cars and it hasn’t dulled the finish or caused any corrosion to our painted alloy rims. I also don’t leave it on for very long.
Look, I’m not talking about the original Green colored Simple Green or any other version other than the Pro HD.
If you want to argue about it, fine. I’m not going to continue to go round and round with you.

I didn't mean to offend or start an argument.

In my experience, simple green has corroded unprotected aluminum (I have experienced it first hand). I know wheels are coated and protected, but if you have scratches or chips it might lead to further corrosion or damage.

To sum up: In my experience, unprotected AL can experience accelerated corrosion from using simple green to clean it. I would use it with caution, and only on protected surfaces and rinse off quickly. If it were my personal AL parts, I would use simple green for aircraft.

Again, no offense, not wanting arguments, just sharing experience and my preference.

I'd pick up a dedicated tire cleaner. There is a good off the shelf option - Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Tire Cleaner. You can get it at any auto parts store.

Works better than APC's. If you go the APC route, pick up some Optimum Power Clean or BH Surfex HD. Most APC's will work good enough on tires but I always find a dedicated tire cleaner to work better. I was able to remove the browning in one pass with the TW stuff. The Turtle Wax worked as well or even better than the Gyeon Tire Cleaner.

Optimum Power Clean is safe and effective. Won't affect aluminum at all.

Last edited:
I didn't mean to offend or start an argument.

In my experience, simple green has corroded unprotected aluminum (I have experienced it first hand). I know wheels are coated and protected, but if you have scratches or chips it might lead to further corrosion or damage.

To sum up: In my experience, unprotected AL can experience accelerated corrosion from using simple green to clean it. I would use it with caution, and only on protected surfaces and rinse off quickly. If it were my personal AL parts, I would use simple green for aircraft.

Again, no offense, not wanting arguments, just sharing experience and my preference.
Most alkaline wheel cleaners are basically (no pun intended) the same as simple green. Just an APC. I think the same precautions apply to most wheel cleaners.

Hey guys:

So I'm not exactly a huge car detailer - so need some help.

My tires look really bad - they have the brown "bloom" discussed in this thread:

I don't want shiny tires - I actually dislike it. I tried an armor all product and a scrub brush, which seemed to remove a ton of brown. But when dry, they still look brown.

Is there a product that sits between full on mirror glaze, and doo-doo brown?

303 Protectant? It's pricy...

Thanks.
Adams VRT is not very wet and shiny. I like it. Chemical Guys VRP is quite similar and cheaper I think also.

Reactions: rcs
Back