Ugly brown Michelin tires 🤬

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
The Michelin ATX A/T2 tires on my '21 Sierra won't clean up black, I've used 2 or 3 different soaps and household cleaners, tried and true Bleche-Wite, and a couple of different tire & wheel cleaner sprays that I have and nothing works. They dry ugly splotchy brown. Is there anything that will clean the brown off? I don't want to use a dressing, nothing lasts long here. I've had no trouble cleaning Goodyears, Contis, Coopers, Yokos in the recent past using what I have on hand.

Do you think it is something that was put on them at the factory? Wondering if it is an extra heavy application of the mold release compound from the factory. Do they have any sort of a waxy substance on them?

Your tires are blooming. It is the anitozonant that protects the tire from dry rotting. You mentioned you're against a tire dressing but that is the only thing that works. I dont like the wet look on tires and use a low gloss matte finish and apply very lightly to cover up the brown.

A couple of scrubbings with super clean will make them black again. Tires have a lot of oil in them so by removing the oil you're essentially making them age faster so keep that in mind.

Your tires are blooming. It is the anitozonant that protects the tire from dry rotting. You mentioned you're against a tire dressing but that is the only thing that works. I dont like the wet look on tires and use a low gloss matte finish and apply very lightly to cover up the brown.
Never heard of tire blooming, interesting feature. I hate tire dressing because if you rub up against it you can get your pants dirty.

There is no "tried and true" Bleche White anymore. California messed that up with their "chemicals known to cause cancer" thing years ago. If it says "Black Magic" on the bottle anywhere, it's garbage.

Go to WalMart and get some Meguiar's Tire and wheel cleaner and try that. It's the NEW Black Magic. (It's a purple color)

Reactions: JC1
There's a product used by airlines (can't remember the company) that goes on airplane tires to protect them from UV light and prevent rubber cracking. When applied it looked like permanent tire shine, it is dry to the touch, and is supposed to last years. Maybe someone in the airline industry knows what this is because dry permanent tire shine would be awesome if we can get our hands on it.

How about this?
Tire.jpg

Like what?

Like what?

Agree with the earlier posts - y'all just need to get better tire dressing. I'd throw Carpro PERL or Adams VRT into the mix for consideration. There are ones that are more matte but, for me, this strikes the right balance and doesn't come off all over everything. There are lots of options out there for deep cleaning, but I have found Adams Tire and Rubber Cleaner to cut the brown quite well. I'm not an Adams fanboy - there are quite a few options.

Something I didn't know in my early "car guy" days (decades ago) was the importance of cleaning the rubber, not just layering dressing on to cover up the brown. I had Meguiars Endurance and various spray shines building up to be a fudgey mess. I got with the program and began ensuring that I was simply wiping on a thin layer of dressing with a sponge over top of well cleaned tires, only when required, and combined with better products it's been a different story ever since.

A couple of years ago, perhaps the fall/winter/spring leading into COVID, I had some issues with white build up on my tires, both winter and summer, which wouldn't scrub off and didn't match anything I was applying to them. I had taken some pictures and was going to post somewhere about what was going on but it stopped as suddenly as it started and I never got around to it. Due to frustration I tried all kinds of rubber cleaners, Griots rubber prep, APCs - nothing worked. My typical maintenance cleaning habit is Megs D143 2:1 or 3:1 with a light brush, and Adams Tire cleaner once in a while, no less often than the seasonal tire switch. Combined with Adams VRT the tires stay looking great with very little effort or reapplication (every few weeks depending on use and weather).

Superior Aqua Gloss

Meguiars Hyper Dressing

Adam's Graphene

CG Tire Kicker

Carpool Perl

Thanks for the list. Any matte finish you like best? I'd put glossy dressing on my truck right after the Carolina Squat kit is installed. :rolleyes:

@Craig in Canada - what happened to the days of a good scrubbing with a brush and they looked great?

@JohnnyG - agree not like the old but it did a decent job cleaning up other brands but not this brown Mich stuff.

Back