Brown Tires

IMG_4182.jpeg

First off, I fully recognize that “brown” tires are a normal condition that does not need to be resolved.

These tires were installed two months ago. This “browning issue” appeared immediately after I cleaned the tires and wheels using a non-acid wheel cleaner. Prior to this, the tires had a perfectly normal appearance. I have never experienced this “browning issue” with other Michelin tires, but also, this is the first Michelin light-truck tire I have owned.

What happened?

Those aren't bad. Spray them with Stoner's Tarminator to clean. Then Meguiars Hot Shine or something better for shine/protection.

Looks pretty similar to @AZjeff 's situation:

I wonder if this is a normal characteristic of their truck tires.

Those aren't bad. Spray them with Stoner's Tarminator to clean. Then Meguiars Hot Shine or something better for shine/protection.
I am not concerned about a resolution, I am more interested in learning why the browning suddenly appeared after a cleaning.

Last edited:
What did you use to clean them?
Excuse the name, but Brown Royal - diluted 1:1.

For the record, this has never turned any other tire brown. And I’ve used it to clean hundreds of other tires…many of which were Michelin.

Odd. I might try another tire cleaner or degreaser with a stiff brush to see if that helps. Otherwise the only option probably is to go over it with a tire dressing that will cover it.

You allowed waxes and other chemicals (oils, antioxidants, residual curing agents, etc) in the tire to come to the surface after wiping away a surface layer.

Perhaps I’d become colorblind because I don’t see much brown tinge on the tire from my M1 iPad. Are use S100 Total Cycle cleaner on my tires and wheels, and it does a good job of cleaning off crud. It’s biodegradable so I don’t have to worry about damaging the tire. 🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• IMG_2097.jpeg
    IMG_2097.jpeg
    13.9 KB · Views: 2
I have the same tires. Never seen that.

But then, I only clean the wheels. I spend zero effort cleaning tires. Inspecting, checking inflation, rotating, sure, just not cleaning.

I have the same tires. Never seen that.

But then, I only clean the wheels. I spend zero effort cleaning tires. Inspecting, checking inflation, rotating, sure, just not cleaning.
I did not extend very much effort into cleaning the tires - I merely sprayed a small amount of the wheel cleaner onto the tire, then gave them a very quick pass with the soft wheel brush that I was using. So, I was quite surprised to find this outcome.

I put these tires on in December.

They started getting brown 4-5 months after. I washed the truck in May, it went away for a couple days and then came back. I also did not spend a lot of time washing the tires, wheels yes, tires no. I don't even recall running a brush over them, just whatever drippage from the body and wheels.

I did get a tire protectant for the next time I wash it to try and keep it from happening. I'm not a fan of glossy tire sprays.

Back