Tire Rotation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rotate the tires on my BMW every 5500 miles contrary to what they recommend. I haven't noticed any handling issues and the only downside (to BMW) is my RF tires last for +52k miles instead of the normal 35k.

I've gotten the last few sets from discount tire. They get done every 10k or so, and I get free lifetime rotation and balancing.

My Jetta is hard on tires, and I think 5kmiles is too long. Camry though has had great even wear every 5k; 5k might be too soon but it certainly doesn't hurt. Toyota wanted the car back every 5k for rotations; that works well with 10k OCI's, so I think I'll keep up with that; but I'll be doing it myself. Am curious how the RWD truck will do, but that might still get 5k rotations, not sure yet.

From what I understand, it's really hard to put rubber back onto the tire once it's worn off. Funny I know: but once it wears funny then it's always got that bad spot.

I can't believe people pay for tire rotation.
lol.gif

I move mine seasonally on our winter driven FWD cars. (I've read about both theories on where the better tires should go). This usually only has me replacing two at a time, so it lowers the financial hit come replacement time.

Most repair shops will rotate the tires every time you get an oil change, and charge nothing for it. That kind of price is a bargain, considering how much having just a tire rotation costs. They do that mostly because they want to see if you need any repairs. If you buy tires with road hazard warranty, the shop usually rotates and balances tires free for as long as the tires last.

Rotation is essential because each corner can wear tires differently. Take any Ford twin I-beam as an example. You will see weird wear marks on the front tires if you don't rotate them. The rear tires don't have that problem. Rotation wears off those weird wear marks. There are other vehicles that suffer a similar problem, but Ford E-series vans are one of the most common vehicles I work on, due to the volume sold and the miles driven due by fleet use.

Paying for a rotation should provide a receipt with miles noted on it, no? Good for making a milage/treadwear claim?

A subject briefly touched on above:

On many (but not all modern vehicles) the front tires do most of the braking. (remember, on some vehicles, with the advent of the latest gen ABS, rear tires can share the light braking loads evenly with the fronts, at least initially, for better braking feel)

So, front tires, if left on "too long" and when hard braking is used, can often develop asymmetrically worn tread blocks. Rub your hand "back to front" over the top of the tire. Then the other way.

Rotating tires helps deal with this type of wear. And the related tire noise.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
$40 gets you a tire rotation, $0 gets you no one touching your car and messing stuff up. I choose the low cost option.

+1, every 5K at oil change time. No nicked, scuffed, gouged up alloy wheels or overtorqued lugs. Good time for an inspection too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back