Tipping for a move

What do people tip for a move?'

One guy moved from NY to FL and the move was like $20K. Seems like a lot. But he had people pack also. I think different people to load vs unload.

He tipped $500 total.

Our move from NY is $3500 to $4000. One set of people.

I am thinking $50 a guy.

If you want to tip that’s your prerogative. I’ve never tipped movers in like 8-9 moves. We’ve had decent movers but most are people that don’t care about you or your stuff. It’s already too expensive. After they’re done if you think it was service above and beyond tip away. Otherwise you’ve already paid them.

$20K ?
Hopefully they did a great job. I agree with Skyactiv about adequate pay.

I think we tipped them $50 or $100 each. They did a great job unloading and moving stuff around where we wanted it and being generally pleasant and helpful.

Gave some Russian guys in Miami $50 each when I moved my mother's belongings from Florida to NC. Figured it was good insurance the stuff would get here. Their company got $5K too.

Tipping for a move? Yikes, gives me one more reason to move my own stuff. Out of my 6-7 cross country moves (I've lost count) I've never paid more than about $1400 (sometimes substantially less) for a one-way 24+ foot moving truck & car trailer, plus the fuel to get me where I'm going.

I tipped $200 split among 4 guys for a local move that took all day. They were very appreciative so I got the feeling they get stiffed a lot. Figured they made $15-20/hr so an extra 2-3 hours of pay wasn’t terrible for them. I think I pad about $2,000 for the move. Two 26’ box trucks packed full including a gun safe. Moving sucks, it was well worth it.

I tipped my guys. I expected to make multiple trips for the big and medium sized stuff. The lead man had them Tetris our stuff in there like a freaking pro. It all went in efficiently and came out undamaged. Can’t ask for better.

I think the folks at u-haul wouldn't know what to if I tipped them 😉

We're going to be moving soon, hopefully. Just renting a uhaul for the big stuff then moving everything else in a few different trips with an enclosed trailer.

When I moved a couple of years ago and was getting quotes, a couple of them let it be known several times that tips were expected on top of the quoted rates.

I did all my own packing, I had something like 75 12"x12" boxes packed and sealed and stacked up in the living room and garage and other than household furniture and no major appliances, all they had to do was load and unload the truck.

They did however arrive on time, get right to work, and place the boxes and furniture exactly where I told them to. I tipped $100 per crew member so it was $400 in tips and about $1200 for the move.

I’ve never understood or agreed with “expected” tipping,although I do it. Why don’t servers get paid a fair wage by their employers? Does anyone tip the policeman after getting pulled over for a traffic infraction? Tip the cashier at Dillard’s? Tip the call center employee via PayPal?

If they did a good job and did exactly what I told them to do....

$100 per mover.

My last moves I tipped with mainly food. I got their preferences and ordered pizzas and drinks and the movers could relax for a real sit-down meal for 30 minutes. Also provide cold drinks throughout the process. I think you get more "bang" for your buck that way.

Cash, probably not so much. Maybe. Maybe a promise of cash on the back end if nothing important is lost or damaged, and then actually come thru with the cash.

Back