I need a moving truck

Something like this might meet most of the requirements, 3k liftgate etc. Buy it outright, then sell once the move is done.

If the goal was retirement though, and liquidating items as-is where-is isnt an option, at least you would have a bit of a slow adventure.

1691451750688.jpg

In 2016 I drove whatever Penske uses for their 26' trucks with a lift gate, was a diesel. I guess International? That thing was unbelievably slow. Up a hill you could get passed by a Vespa carrying 2 people. So I'd also research to make sure it isn't unbelievably underpowered as well.

Gas Uhauls have plenty of pep. Maybe buy a used one, do these locations have access to a forklift to load stuff on pallets into the truck?

What do you plan to do with all this gear once you retire? Is it worth the hassle of consolidating and relocating it?

In 2016 I drove whatever Penske uses for their 26' trucks with a lift gate, was a diesel. I guess International? That thing was unbelievably slow. Up a hill you could get passed by a Vespa carrying 2 people. So I'd also research to make sure it isn't unbelievably underpowered as well.

Gas Uhauls have plenty of pep. Maybe buy a used one, do these locations have access to a forklift to load stuff on pallets into the truck?

Maybe UHaul's have pep in the flat lands where you live, but even the 20 footer I rented last year with the 6.8 V10 was an absolute dog going up and down the mountains around here. :ROFLMAO:

Used school bus maybe? Longer, not sure about floor strength.

I thought trailer as well… You have a truck, right?

Sounds like an adventure. Let me know if you need help driving, sounds like fun.

I'd be thinking long and hard about whether buying a truck and driving it myself was worth the time and effort when all said and done. Personally in this situation, and given the costs that have been described for a Uhaul/Penske type experience, one can accomplish much the same with the moving arms of LTL carriers such as ABF, Estes, and Old Dominion to name a few. You get three days to load the trailer, then they come pick it up and deliver it on the other end, with the same deal - 3 days.

All the equipment hassle (ownership, maint, insurance, etc...) all falls on them, along with not having to drive a commercial vehicle typically not optimized for long distance travels (sorry - the typical less than 26k gross box truck isn't going to be a cushy, well powered machine one needs to go 26k+ to get into that - air ride, etc...)

Where will the unit be stored when you aren't using it? Price out insurance on one of these yet?

Consider most everything thats out there to buy will be well used already with whatever gremlins come with that... Lots of these for sale locally typically between 200k and 450k miles.

a couple of years ago a friend moved from wa to fl via pods. it cost him $5k a pod and he had 3. i think it was $1.50 a mile or so for a pod .

I'd be thinking long and hard about whether buying a truck and driving it myself was worth the time and effort one can accomplish much the same with the moving arms of LTL carriers such as ABF, Estes, and Old Dominion to name a few.
Correct, it is really nice to make one's life easy, and hire a moving company to do move my stuff, that's how I got much of the stuff up North. Unfortunately, the cost is beyond what I'm willing to spend. I got a quote for moving my FL household and nearby North County hangar contents, to my property in TN. $55K, + 250 per hour for packing any unpacked items. And that was 2 years ago. It won't be less now.

The idea would be to sell the truck afterwards, for a discount. Say I purchase for 25K, sell for 20. Maybe that $5K truck listed above would actually do the job, dunno. I have 12 TN and 2 FL acres the truck can sit at either location when not used, I even have a good gated spot up North.

Yes, I want all this stuff, I am a motorhead, and don't play golf or fish. I like fabricating automotive and aircraft components. I enjoy road race cars (SCCA) and may get back into that.

My high HP Mazda Miata from 20 years ago, all hand built by me. I'd like to do more of this kind of thing before I am too old. Of note, this thing had enough power to spin both sticky rear tires, in 3rd at 65MPH, at half throttle or more, and 127 MPH trap speeds despite having no traction in the first 3 gears, and being configured/geared for road course use.

oxmbMci.jpg

To be clear, abf, Estes, old dominion are not full service movers. They provide the trailer and transport. You do the rest. Historically found the cost of this significantly lower than full service moving, and often a good bit cheaper than the truck rental route, particularly after adding the cost of fuel and my time on the truck rental route. Ymmv...

To be clear, abf, Estes, old dominion are not full service movers. They provide the trailer and transport. You do the rest. Historically found the cost of this significantly lower than full service moving, and often a good bit cheaper than the truck rental route, particularly after adding the cost of fuel and my time on the truck rental route. Ymmv...

Maybe hire people to load the pup trailer from Estes ?

Ironically these two have been on NH CL for a bit (not sure how long, it's not something I'm typically looking for :) ).

Automatic:

Manual, with a sleeper and lift gate:

1691526107619.jpg

[Zero knowledge of them.]

Back