Using an Uhaul moving truck to haul yard debris

One of my neighbors was cleaning up their yard and trimming trees and bushes. They actually rented a 15 foot moving truck to haul away the debris. I was thinking, this is pretty smart. The truck fits a lot of stuff, it’s covered and nothing needs to be tied down when you’re driving to the dump. You just have to use a leaf blower to clean out the box.

Makes sense if it's only a couple miles-- that's where they get you, the mileage.

When I saw the subject I thought they were just farting around their property, running the odometer up 200 yards at a time. :whistle:

It would most likely be cheaper if he checked with, and hired a local landscaper or handyman to do the whole job. Especially if he's accumulated enough crap to have to rent a truck, in order to get rid of all of it in the first place.

Many of these guys work very reasonably, and advertise in the local shopper rags you can pick up free at the grocery stores in the neighborhood.

By the time you do the job, rent the truck, load all the crap, and haul it to the landfill and pay the fee, then clean out the truck before you take it back. And calculate your labor at minimum wage, he probably paid more.

I used to do all of my own trimming and landscape work, until I got smart and realized I was working for peanuts. This reminds me of these people with appliances all roped up, sticking out of their sagging compact hatchbacks, ready to fall out. All trying to save a $50.00 delivery fee at Lowe's.

Whenever I need to haul junk to the dump, I rent a $34.95 Uhaul trailer with a ramp. This was 2,430 pounds in that trailer last month. Those boxes were from new furniture and a lot of scrap steel at the bottom. I'll need another one soon to haul some gravel.

C66FF93A-7C04-4E34-BA12-4530F4467D7F.jpeg

One of my neighbors was cleaning up their yard and trimming trees and bushes. They actually rented a 15 foot moving truck to haul away the debris. I was thinking, this is pretty smart. The truck fits a lot of stuff, it’s covered and nothing needs to be tied down when you’re driving to the dump. You just have to use a leaf blower to clean out the box.
In most suburban/urban situations renting a truck when you need one is much smarter than owning one.

This reminds me of these people with appliances all roped up, sticking out of their sagging compact hatchbacks, ready to fall out. All trying to save a $50.00 delivery fee at Lowe's.
I opted for the old appliance disposal fee when purchasing our new washer and dryer. My wife was a little upset when she found out about it. She thought $100 was a lot. I offered to let her haul them away and save the money if it made her happy. But turned out it wasn’t such a big deal after all. Marriage is all about compromises.

I like my expanded metal bed trailer - light enough to bring it to the hitch ball on gravel - but rated 1600 lbs
(sometimes use a bit of plywood depending on what the load is)

I opted for the old appliance disposal fee when purchasing our new washer and dryer. My wife was a little upset when she found out about it. She thought $100 was a lot. I offered to let her haul them away and save the money if it made her happy. But turned out it wasn’t such a big deal after all. Marriage is all about compromises.
I did much the same. But the wife was pushing me to do it all the way. The disposal fee is well worth it. If you don't pay it, it's not not like you have any other options, that are not a royal pain, and very labor intensive.

I'll save money somewhere else that doesn't involve me breaking my back, along with driving all over God's creation to get rid of cumbersome, heavy junk.

Once I quit driving pickup trucks, the van with a Uhaul became my go to hauler.

I really don’t miss pickups anymore.

Attachments

• 6A5B8562-6F37-4425-ABF4-8EF765E70C91.jpeg
    6A5B8562-6F37-4425-ABF4-8EF765E70C91.jpeg
    275.8 KB · Views: 22
It would most likely be cheaper if he checked with, and hired a local landscaper or handyman to do the whole job. Especially if he's accumulated enough crap to have to rent a truck, in order to get rid of all of it in the first place.

Many of these guys work very reasonably, and advertise in the local shopper rags you can pick up free at the grocery stores in the neighborhood.

By the time you do the job, rent the truck, load all the crap, and haul it to the landfill and pay the fee, then clean out the truck before you take it back. And calculate your labor at minimum wage, he probably paid more.

I used to do all of my own trimming and landscape work, until I got smart and realized I was working for peanuts. This reminds me of these people with appliances all roped up, sticking out of their sagging compact hatchbacks, ready to fall out. All trying to save a $50.00 delivery fee at Lowe's.
Around here no one does anything unless your on a "contract", or its starts at $500 - if they actually show up at all.

Supply and demand.

Back